“Good and bad”

Hellsten Helsinki Parliament
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a well located, pleasant enough hotel and much of my experience might depend on my room.

The bad:

1) I was next to the elevator and hardly slept the first night as people were constantly in and out until 3 am (it was Saturday night). Everytime they used the the lift it started with a loud bang, you heard the beeps, lift mechanics working and the doors opening. It also meant people were directly outside your door if they got off at your floor. All of this could have been avoided with adequate door soundproofing - but it was severely lacking. And in case you think it's unlikely you'll get a "lift room" - I calculated in my wing there were 8 out of 20 rooms directly next to the lift shaft so that's a 40% chance at least in the wing I was in.

2) Due to above lack of soundproofing, and the fact that all rooms are situated near the main stairwell (if in Block A), you hear the front door slam everytime someone comes in and every footstep as they walk up the stairs. Kept me up all night.

3) Condition. The rooms are a little shabby. They are cleaned OK, but they are worn. Definitely 3 star. Didn't worry me too much but the shower had a bit of permanent mold in it and I was given a towel with several holes in it.

4) The shower. This is a minor issue but you need to be an acrobat to fit in. Large people would have little chance and would also not be able to fit on the toilet!

5) Lack of provisions. There was no soap for washing hands. This is a little hard to accept and unhygienic. There was shower gel for the shower which I rationed to use for hand washing. There was a drip filter coffee machine but no filter papers were provided. I had excitedly bought coffee with me only to not be able to use it. I know it's self-catering, but it would have been a nice notion to provide a few filter papers for those 1 or 2 night stayers who don't need a pack of 10.

The Good:

1) Excellent location close to the museum, railway station, trams, shops etc.

2) Excellent price and friendly staff

3) Helsinki - it's amazing - you should go!

Overall I wouldn't stay again as the lack of sleep wasn't worth it, but if you're a heavy sleeper, don't mind things being a little more basic than a hotel and want to self cater - this is a great choice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We came to Helsinki only because that's where our Frequent Flyer seats landed us. But we were pleasantly surprised by Helsinki - it was beautiful and we could have stayed there longer.

Our travel agent put us in Hellsten Helsinki Parliment which was in a nice central location. It was about a 40EU cab ride from the airport. The Qantas flight lands at 6.30am, so we were at the hotel very early and the after-hours check-in we thought we had arranged apparently didn't happen so we had to wait an hour or so for checkin at 8am - but this would be fairly standard at most small hotels. Plus the cafe across the road does nice food and coffee & there was a kids playground right next door.

The room we were given was nice - one bedroom with the kids on the sofa fold out in the lounge - big enough you didn't trip over each other. Lovely view over the park and chapel spire.

Fabulous to have a kitchenette - we did a little shop at the markets just down the street and had dinner & wine in our room - which suited us perfectly as the jet lag knocked the kids out at 3pm!

The laundry facilities in the basement are also handy for a family travelling.

The hotel was a tram ride away from the main shopping area, we went on a little further to the harbour and visited the fort island via the ferry which the kids loved.

They don't have a cafe or restaurant in the hotel but they give you a discount voucher for breaky at the cafe accross the road - which suited me fine - a proper expresso for breaky!

It was on cobblestone, pictureesque streets, quite, open the windows for some lovely brisk morning air.

I wish I had time for a run, as a big park was not too far away and looked very nice.

I would recommend it and stay there again - for a little longer next time!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank renhall
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Dont bother to check in on sundays unless you are prepared to be your own housekeeping and reception because there is no on duty front desk on sundays. If u have any inquiries or something is not right with your room then u are stuck in a rut. I had a torrid time asking for towels as there was not enough since there was three of us in the room with only 1 towel available. Just came back from a 12 hour flight and had to wait another 8 hrs until i can check- all i wanted was a bloody shower and housekeeping did not believe that i only have one towel in the room. My first and last time here for sure!!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank wnb6215
Reviewed August 16, 2012

In Helsinki for a week I wanted more than just a hotel room. At the recommendation of a previous reviewer I asked for a studio overlooking the park. Great advice. Located on the 4th floor my studio apartment looked out at the tree tops and what blss to be able to have the window open at night with no noise. Excellent shower, comfortable bed, good kitchen for my needs with coffee maker. Lots of places nearby to grab supplies or or pre-prepared meals.

Close to central railway, shopping areas and tram stops. Some great walks nearby. It would be good to have wi fi, luckily I was at a conference and could use theirs. Would also be nice to have a clock somewhere. This is the 2nd nordic hotel in 10 days not to have one. Yes I know we all ave our phones etc but I have to put my glasses on to look at it!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Had the window open every night and not enough street noise to wake us up. The kitchenette saved a bundle on food and it's easy walking distance to down town. The only down side was no reception after hours and weekends and no daily maid service. These were not a problem for us.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2012

A lovely old Jugendstil house in a central location in Helsinki. Spacious rooms, plenty of light and air, surprisingly quiet despite a couple of nearby restaurants. Staff was very friendly and helpful, extra pillows and a table fan were provided on request. Free sauna and laundry in the basement, with tumble dryers and ironing facilities (there is also an iron and a board in the room.)

Pros: Kitchenette was well-stocked with basic cooking equipment (from IKEA, as is most of the decor.) Refrigerator was huge, with an excellent (very cold) freezer section.
Cons: The heating elements in the water kettle were badly corroded. The two cooking knives were extremely dull - I had to sharpen them myself.

Pros: Bathroom was clean with a tub. The complimentary shampoos & shower gels had a nice, lemony scent that was not overpowering.
Cons: The bidet shower fixing came away from the wall, and we had to hang the shower head in the tub. There was no squeegee or mop to clean up spilled water on the floor.

Beds were comfortable, fold-out sofa and armchair likewise. Television was old and small. Dining table and chairs were rather shabby. There is a complimentary wired internet in the room, but the cable in our room was broken at both ends, and the replacement didn't arrive despite our request. The room we stayed in had no cell phone reception at all, meaning we had to go to the nearby park to get a signal.

You can buy laundry detergent at the reception, but if you plan on doing laundry on weekends you'd better bring your own. The reception is closed on weekends, but there's a 24/7 service number where you can reach staff.

All in all, a very pleasant, homely stay for a self-catering traveler. I could easily see myself spending a week or more, and I will be coming back (with more detergent, and my own internet cable...)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Arrived from Helsinki Airport on Finnair bus having stopped a couple of streets away. Only 5 mins walk with suitcases from the stop opposite the Scandic Hotel on Mannerheimvagen.
Good welcome.
Good location just 15 mins walk from centre of Helsinki, 20 mins from the Olympic Stadium.
Quiet location in a clean, safe environment - kid's play park 1 minute from the front door. Nearby supermarkets where you can get breakfast food (turn left o/s front door to end of Museokatu/junc with Runeberginkatu - 5 mins walk. You can also get the 'tourist 3B/3T tram' on Runeberginkatu).
The apartment was clean, the kitchen area had all we needed - kettle, coffee maker, microwave and 2 ring hob. Breakfast was the most economical part of our stay in Helsinki.
Beds were comfortable.
We were able to use the left luggage in the basement at the end of our break.
We made a good choice staying here!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family