“Didn't know what to expect - a positive experience”
Review of Kellohalli

Kellohalli
Ranked #916 of 1,489 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: European
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Finland
“Didn't know what to expect - a positive experience”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Kellohalli was something totally new to me. My old faithful friend took me there in the intention of having a casual dinner and just chat in private. The very open premises are perhaps not ideal for talking in private, but the general atmosphere, especially in summer time I should think, is very nice. The very simple furniture and plain "industrial" decor is perhaps something I am not that used to, but I am always open for new ideas and ended up liking to sit on that long bench reminding me of my great aunt's summer villa in the archipelago, with three generations sharing a weekend meal at a long table..

We had the suggested fried perch with some vegetables, and this was simply put a very good dish. One of the best of its kind I've had in years. In my mind, it cannot compete with the rich traditionals of Los Mellizos Pescaderia :-) but instead, a trendy and very positive in both tastes and preparation of the demanding fish, rather small size fish perch and in boneless fillets.

The wines by glass are in my opinion a bit too expensive, to me 11 euros for a glass of rosé wine (even if from Provence and very-very good of its kind) is too much even though a whole bottle would cost the restaurant as much as some 8-10 euros. The positive side was that the waitress let us taste the wine, as she of course should, then poured the wine in the glasses at the table and without using the /&¤%¤ traditional metal centiliter measure which would have spoiled both the wine and the customer experience. - A big thank you for understanding to leave this ritual to the 90's and to the chain restaurants serving some lousy BIB wines.

All in all the place represented something trendy and positive, a "warm wind from south west" and if they can repeat our experience, I am very happy to recommend it.

• Visited July 2013

• Finnish first
Helsinki
“A major dissapointment delivered by hotter-than-helsinki restaurant owner.”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I visited Kellohalli on April 10th 2013 for a long dinner with culinary fiend friends of mine. I have been a regular to the owner's Antto Melasniemi's debutant venue Kuurna since the week it opened in 2006.

Also the Töölö-based a bit fancier Finne has always delivered. That is why our fiasco trip to the outskirts of the city came as such a blow to the whole entourage.

The lady serving us was totally clueless for example pouring white wine to class the customer had just used for drinking beer. After this was pointed out to her she seemed to be surprised and made no effort to compensate for the wine that was then thrown away. This episode was the epitome of our three-our visit. The senior man who apparently responsible for the restaurant that evening, who had previously been great in Finne was not up to his task this time which left us even more puzzled as he could have taken charge of our table at any point of the lady's sad performance.

The idea of the restaurant is good. Execution a major failure. We are saddened to give it a big thumb down.

Llangefni, United Kingdom
“Remarkable food”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

A little out of the city, but worth the effort to get there. The food was exceptional and reasonably priced by Helsinki standards. The setting is informal and that is half the charm. Worth reserving a table, although they do have plenty of space.

Kauniainen
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Modern and hip lunch”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Kellohalli is located in Tukkutori Sörnäinen in old slaughterhouse. I only have been there for lunch but it is also open in the evenings. Every time the lunch has been exceptional (price usually is 9,5€). It included buffet salad and fresh (homebaked?) bread, make-to-order meal and coffee. Waiters come and ask if there was enough food and you can have more if you wish. The owners and chefs have earned their reputation already in the past from other very good restaurants. Worth of visiting for lunch!

Helsinki, Finland
“Great fish in a butchery”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a new restaurant in Helsinki which is a bit difficult to find as it is housed in an old butchery of the Helsinki grossist market. Best way to get there is by metro, which has a stop about 100 m to the west, called Kalasatama. The locale is not very appetizing and you will recognize it from a large clock (therefore the name "Clock hall"). The floor has still canals for the blood and the acoustics are terrible. BUT the food is great, made from high quality raw materials. We visited the place in connection of a PhD defense party so there were about 50-60 people. Service was still quick and efficient ,and we were first served raw salmon with spices. Unbelievable, with a fantastic consistence and taste. Would like to know how it was done. The main course was ground pike served with cream sauce and vegetables. Many people said to me that they had never tasted such pike (which in Finland is seen as a rather tasteless and uninteresting fish). Again the consistence was really great and you really could taste the fish. The dessert was chocolate cake with vanilla sauce, but both were quite special. We will definitely go to the place another time!