“Decent Ethiopian food in Finland”
Review of Kuningatar Saba

Kuningatar Saba
Ranked #715 of 1,597 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Aethiopisches Restaurant.
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Although mixed reviews I found the food tasty and well prepared. Well worth a visit. The prices are Helsinki prices but not insanely so.

1  Thank Haysley13

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have been to a few Ethiopian restaurants before and when I heard of one opened in my home town I absolutely wanted to try it out. The restaurant is really popular and fortunately we managed to get in.

Compared to other Ethiopian restaurants I've been to I have to say that this restaurant doesn't do the amazing food justice. The service was friendly and quick but the portions are incredibly small! I'm not that big of an eater myself but even I could say there was not enough food. The food itself was nice but nothing special compared to the food in other Ethiopian restaurants I've eaten in. The biggest minus was unfortunately that we left the restaurant hungry!! I didn't want to mention anything to the staff as I didn't want to come across as rude...

Even though Ethiopian food is my absolute favourite I would not return as I feel like we payed too much for the very small portions. I wish there was another Ethiopian restaurant in Helsinki so that there would be competition and this one would be compelled to step up the game!

2  Thank kkarla
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I love food and even more I love to try new food and new restaurants. I was very excited at first when I heard of an Ethiopian restaurant in Helsinki. But the experience was unfortunately nothing short of horrible.
The food is not tasty, you can get much better in other Ethiopian Restaurants. And the food portions are extremely small, to the point that it looks ridiculousness! They basically offer you two or three "INJERAs" and a very small bowel of whatever you order. In fact the food they offer as a main course wouldn't be even enough as a starter! But then they charge you about 12-15 Euros for that!
But the worst part was that the food was extremely oily and we all (I was with friends) came down with stomach problems afterwards.

I really don't recommend it to anyone. Beware!

2  Thank Ethan S
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We´ve waited for this for a while, a real ethiopian restaurant in Helsinki. And it is really a very typical one: traditional decorations, service somewhat slow but friendly, and the main thing: tasty ethiopian food.

Not the best ethiopian restaurant I´ve been outside Ethiopia, but definitely worth a visit. Price range good for Helsinki, easy to find just outside the city centre in Töölö. The space is limited, and it has been really popular in the first few months, so it would be better to reserve a table!

As usual with ethiopian restaurants, a good variety of suitable choices for vegetarians.

1  Thank Minna H
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The newly-opened restaurant isn't located in the very heart of Helsinki and does not boost with trendy facilities. The food is in focus and this little restaurant serves extremely delicious Ethiopian food to a very affordable price. About 2-3km walk from the central Helsinki takes you to the calm neighbourhood where you can find this restaurant. There is a limited number of tables so it is a good idea to reserve if planning to visit during weekends or with a larger group of people.

The prices are low (main courses less than 14€) and the fantastic tasting menu for 2-3 persons with its numerous small dishes is a bargain (under 40€ totally for 2-3 persons).

1  Thank Lasse L