“Good Choice for Cruise Stop” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Food Sightseeing - CLOSED

Food Sightseeing
More attraction details
Owner description: HELSINKI FOOD TOUR - compact 2.5 hours walking tour including city center top sights, Finnish food and drink tastings and shopping possibility.Minimum for one person, 80 eur/person.
Santa Ana, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Good Choice for Cruise Stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

We were a group of 8 on a cruise stop. This was a a great way to spend some time in Helsinki. We had two guides which was great because we are a group who asks lots of questions. More historical information from the guides would have been nice.

The food was interesting and the sightseeing and information was good.

We would have liked to have had some pastries/sweets but we did enjoy the variety of what we had: reindeer, beer, fish, meat pies.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank TinaWard

Helsinki, Finland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Almost no food in food sightseeing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

The marketing materials give a completely different idea of the amount of food served during the trip. The only savory food that was served was a small tidbit of smoked salmon and smoked reindeer, a small dry piece of bread with a little bit of fish on it and a small piece of cake. We had the tour 4 hours after lunch and we were absolutely starving after the food sightseeing, which lasted for three hours. Remember to eat well before the occasion and come to the tour with a full stomach!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Annika H
Tanja K, Owner at Food Sightseeing, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear foodie,
thank you for your honest feedback.
These two negative feedback are from the same tour that was unsuccesfull.

We faced great difficulties in September as our other route changed and other routes group sizes increased suddenly - even though we have agreed with places what to serve they couldn´t keep up with bigger group sizes.
Therefore we decided to go on winterbreak in the beginning of October and currently we are adjusting our tours.

Hopefully we can offer these tours again in next summer season.
br, Tanja Karonen, good taster
Helsinki, Finland
“Sightseeing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I was expecting that if the name of the tour is "Food Sightseeing" there would be also some food. We didn´t get almost anything to eat, I was hungry in the beginning and became angry after I understood the spirit of this tour which was more targeted to getting tourists to buy stuff from the visited shops than to taste any real food. We had also one vegetarian in our group and this was told beforehand to the organizer, she got one cookie and chocolate cake during the trip and some sugary drinks. If you wish to eat, then don´t go to this tour.

Tanja K, Owner at Food Sightseeing, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear foodie,
thank you for your honest feedback.
These two negative feedback are from the same tour that was unsuccesfull.

Hopefully we can offer these tours again in next summer season.
br, Tanja Karonen, good taster
Lake Forest, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Interesting and tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

My family and I (my wife and I and our 13 year old daughter) decided to try this out, as we had a cruise stop in Helsinki and were looking for something to do there. The total group size was 6, 7 including our guide.

Our guide, Laura, is a local and was quite nice, but lacked a bit of confidence at the start and let slip she had only been giving tours herself for a few months...which at first gave me concern for the day. What were we in for, I thought to myself? As it turned out, we were in for a nice walk around Helsinki with plenty of food along the way. Come hungry.

I should preface this by saying my wife and daughter are fairly picky with their food, my daughter especially so, and I had concern that they would not find much to eat on a culinary tour where fish and reindeer were on the menu. Our first taste at Klaus K hotel, with a traditional open faced sandwich with smoked fish, started off as I expected, with my daughter not wanting to try it. However, the next stop at the open air market with the big, donut-like meat pie was right up her alley. It was huge and absolutely delicious. Warning: If you want to eat more on the tour, only eat half or less of this. It will fill you up. We then had little fried fish and reindeer meatballs, of which my family did not want to partake (though my wife did try a reindeer meatball)... but me, liking to eat just about everything, ate and enjoyed. We then continued our walk, stopping at different places along the way, including a coffee shop in a crypt (only open seasonally), an organic market (where we were given samples, and we wound up buying a few things) a chocolate shop (with FANTASTIC chocolate at reasonable prices, though the first sample was included with the tour... but that was part of their diabolical plan! How can you eat just one piece of delicious, hand-crafted chocolate? Luckily, it was cheap to buy more...which I think everyone on the tour did) and a nice restaurant where we had delicious blueberry pie and coffee/tea to round out the day. We then walked back to the hotel with our guide, while others in our group wandered off to different parts of the city.

I would agree with a previous reviewer... there was definitely opportunities missed during the tour to talk about Finnish history and how different foods fit into it. The tour was mostly focused on what we were having and where we were.

As an additional note, I purchased the tickets for the tour many months ago, and paid much less than what the price is currently listed on their website... I suppose the demand has increased as more cruise ships ply these waters. (When I say much less, I mean less than half of what the tickets are currently on sale for). At the price I paid, it was worth it. At the current prices listed on their site, I would have been less happy with what we were provided.

2 Thank Skinflint_traveller
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Nice but not worth the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

The tour is billed as an experience of Finnish food, but it was more a tour of some local restaurants and stores with a few tastes of what was sold. I can't say I really walked away any more educated on Finnish cuisine than when I started, and the food I sampled was okay.

It was a fine time, a good group and good weather - but not worth the money spent.

Tanja K, Owner at Food Sightseeing, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Foodie,
I am sorry to hear that we couldn´t meet your expectations. Our tastings during the summer 2013 has been:
Design hotel: slider
Bakery: meat pie
Market Square: reindeer meatball and vendice -fish
Bistro & Michelin star restaurant: Slush
Hidden cafe: Cinnamon bon & coffee
Private grocery store: Finnish cheese and jam, or some seasonal tasting
Chokolate Shop: hand made chokolate
All these tastings represent Helsinki´s cuisine in one aspect - surely there is also many others.
I highly appreciate your honest opinion and it would help us a lot if you could send me some more detailed information about what you think should be included. We are currently changing the route for the winter season and I would be happy to adjust our tour according to your opinions. You can send mail directly to me tanja.karonen@foodsightseeing.fi or via TripAdvisor.

Tasty regards,