“Easy in and out” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
chicago
“Easy in and out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is directlyconnected to the airport by Finnair bus which provides a reliable and inexpensive shuttle to the city center which is very walkable. Rooms are clean and staff helpful, cruise ships may deposit their cargo here so it can be crowded, but it has a decent breakfast and central location to shop and wander. Great for a layover or short stay in Helsinki.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bedouin08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We booked blindly, figuring only that it was close to the incoming airport bus. And that it was, only about 250 feet away. Not bad. What was not counted on was how close it was to everything else we would want to do in our 24 hours in Helsinki. Perfect.

And the staff was quite accommodating, kindly advising my spouse on the best way to accomplish a suburban goal (read wild goose chase) the next day. Our room was an upgraded "executive" room (thank you Priority Club) which had the best possible view of the central city square and all the hustle and bustle of the city. Yet it was quite as could be at night.

Definitely the go to hotel in downtown Helsinki.

Room Tip: Go for the executive room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Vehmas, Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Kairho1
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that you liked our hotel location and facilities and the friendly service of our staff. We are always very happy when a guest contacts us about the wonderful experience and service they have received. Thank you again for your kind words. We hope to have you as a guest in our hotel again soon.
Sincerely, Timo Vehmas, Brand Manager
Oxnard, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Great location, right next to the train station and in the heart of town. We had nothing to do but wander around and explore this northern city. Is not a luxury hotel, you pay extra for everything but when you do it is all well done. We ate breakfast once here (not included) and after that found the local restaurants were much more to our liking. Next time we'll try another hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We came by train and the hotel is right next to the station, while all buses, trams got stops next to the station! (Tho u can actually walk to most of the places as the city is not that big). Staff was helpful and polite, sauna is complimentary. Essential tolieteries are compliementry but u need to ask for them at reception, not bad from an enviromental point of view. No free wifi is a drawback (u can pay for internet service if u want), but we printed our ferry tickets at business centre for free without problem. Up to standard as an european business hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Came into Helsinki for a 3-day visit with no firm plans on what I was going to do, so I looked for something around the central railway station as that is usually a good bet in Europe.

After comparing options the HI seemed to have best combination of location and price/room type for what I wanted. I wasn't eager to stay at an HI as I think of it as an extension of American mediocrity, but I went with it in spite of my feelings. I booked an Executive King. Since I arrived just before the Summer Evening Holiday (when everyone leaves town for summer homes) the price actually went down 30% over the course of my stay (Tue-Fri).

The hotel is right on the square looking at the train station and the airport bus stops 50 metres away from the front door. The trams (most of them) stop in front of the train station and buses are all over, so transportation choice depends on where you are going!

The room was clean, good-sized, nice Scandinavian beds, internet available, and water bottle were free since it was an "executive" room.

Noise was not a problem and I slept OK. Didn't use the restaurant since brekkie wasn't included.

I recommend this as an option if you are coming, just overlook the HI branding and it looks like any other European hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Powel C
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Its a Holiday Inn so you know what to expect but this one,although with that slightly "worn" look all over ,including the rooms , is slightly above the norm. The location is sensational ...at the railway station, the end of the bus line from the airport (30mins) and smack in the centre of town .Just can't be beat! Very friendly reception staff ,,cozy well appointed rooms with every usual extra...free wifi etc... its not a hotel for long stays,but a very very adequate one for just a few days with lots of places to see and do in lovely Helsinki!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Ron F
El Jadida, Morocco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

OK, I walked into this one with my eyes open. I knew that I would have to pay extra for WiFi and for breakfast on the tariff I chose - my usual hotel was fully booked and others were just too dear. But why should anyone have to pay extra for these things in a 4 star hotel in a modern capital city? As it happened, I got the WiFi for free in the end anyway, as the cabled connection broke down. The only reason I'm not giving this place 2 stars is that the incredibly nice and efficient girl on reception apologised profusely and gave me 2 days free WiFi till the problem was fixed. All the staff on the front desk were excellent, as were the breakfast people.

What else? The breakfast then. I don't think it's that much! Inexpensive hotels in Finland provide very much the same except for the overcooked bacon and hot dishes of dried up meatballs, scrambled egg and tiny frankfurters. Yes, there might be a couple of extra specialist breads/rolls and cereals or other bits and pieces, but you can only eat so much at 9 in the morning. And I've stayed at a cheap hotel in Helsinki that does the hot food too. The breakfast cost me 18 Euros. I didn't take it the second day, went out and ate better elsewhere for 12.

I didn't get any tea/coffee making equipment. What's all that about?

The room was of an adequate size, very clean and I don't worry a bit about wetroom-type bathrooms. I don't mind that you don't get individual toiletries. They only get stolen anyway!

Again, for a 4 star international hotel, the choice of TV programmes was risible. Ah, but if you wanted to pay more, you could get more, pay-to-view films and so on. I've had better TV offerings in a 3 star in Morocco.

The location is fantastically convenient, right next to where the airport bus drops you off and right by the station. You can walk to many of the sights in town and many good restaurants.

But, in the end, this is a Holiday Inn, with all that this implies. If you like the formula, than it's a place for you. I happen not to - I think it's mean, capitalistic and money-grabbing. And I disliked intensely having to leave a deposit of 100 Euros at the desk in case I took stuff from the minibar.

I really want to give this place a 2. But as I said, the staff (and the location) redeemed the premises somewhat. That's the only reason.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank 549JohnW
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear John W,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. I'm glad to hear you found our front desk staff agent to be personable and cheerful. We're proud of our staff. However, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced because of the internet connection. Rest assured that the issues you have raised has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Janice A