WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre

Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre
Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Oxnard, California
“Last few day for this trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Great location, right next to the train station and in the heart of town. We had nothing to do but wander around and explore this northern city. Is not a luxury hotel, you pay extra for everything but when you do it is all well done. We ate breakfast once here (not included) and after that found the local restaurants were much more to our liking. Next time we'll try another hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We came by train and the hotel is right next to the station, while all buses, trams got stops next to the station! (Tho u can actually walk to most of the places as the city is not that big). Staff was helpful and polite, sauna is complimentary. Essential tolieteries are compliementry but u need to ask for them at reception, not bad from an enviromental point of view. No free wifi is a drawback (u can pay for internet service if u want), but we printed our ferry tickets at business centre for free without problem. Up to standard as an european business hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Came into Helsinki for a 3-day visit with no firm plans on what I was going to do, so I looked for something around the central railway station as that is usually a good bet in Europe.

After comparing options the HI seemed to have best combination of location and price/room type for what I wanted. I wasn't eager to stay at an HI as I think of it as an extension of American mediocrity, but I went with it in spite of my feelings. I booked an Executive King. Since I arrived just before the Summer Evening Holiday (when everyone leaves town for summer homes) the price actually went down 30% over the course of my stay (Tue-Fri).

The hotel is right on the square looking at the train station and the airport bus stops 50 metres away from the front door. The trams (most of them) stop in front of the train station and buses are all over, so transportation choice depends on where you are going!

The room was clean, good-sized, nice Scandinavian beds, internet available, and water bottle were free since it was an "executive" room.

Noise was not a problem and I slept OK. Didn't use the restaurant since brekkie wasn't included.

I recommend this as an option if you are coming, just overlook the HI branding and it looks like any other European hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Powel C
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Its a Holiday Inn so you know what to expect but this one,although with that slightly "worn" look all over ,including the rooms , is slightly above the norm. The location is sensational ...at the railway station, the end of the bus line from the airport (30mins) and smack in the centre of town .Just can't be beat! Very friendly reception staff ,,cozy well appointed rooms with every usual extra...free wifi etc... its not a hotel for long stays,but a very very adequate one for just a few days with lots of places to see and do in lovely Helsinki!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Ron F
El Jadida, Morocco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

OK, I walked into this one with my eyes open. I knew that I would have to pay extra for WiFi and for breakfast on the tariff I chose - my usual hotel was fully booked and others were just too dear. But why should anyone have to pay extra for these things in a 4 star hotel in a modern capital city? As it happened, I got the WiFi for free in the end anyway, as the cabled connection broke down. The only reason I'm not giving this place 2 stars is that the incredibly nice and efficient girl on reception apologised profusely and gave me 2 days free WiFi till the problem was fixed. All the staff on the front desk were excellent, as were the breakfast people.

What else? The breakfast then. I don't think it's that much! Inexpensive hotels in Finland provide very much the same except for the overcooked bacon and hot dishes of dried up meatballs, scrambled egg and tiny frankfurters. Yes, there might be a couple of extra specialist breads/rolls and cereals or other bits and pieces, but you can only eat so much at 9 in the morning. And I've stayed at a cheap hotel in Helsinki that does the hot food too. The breakfast cost me 18 Euros. I didn't take it the second day, went out and ate better elsewhere for 12.

I didn't get any tea/coffee making equipment. What's all that about?

The room was of an adequate size, very clean and I don't worry a bit about wetroom-type bathrooms. I don't mind that you don't get individual toiletries. They only get stolen anyway!

Again, for a 4 star international hotel, the choice of TV programmes was risible. Ah, but if you wanted to pay more, you could get more, pay-to-view films and so on. I've had better TV offerings in a 3 star in Morocco.

The location is fantastically convenient, right next to where the airport bus drops you off and right by the station. You can walk to many of the sights in town and many good restaurants.

But, in the end, this is a Holiday Inn, with all that this implies. If you like the formula, than it's a place for you. I happen not to - I think it's mean, capitalistic and money-grabbing. And I disliked intensely having to leave a deposit of 100 Euros at the desk in case I took stuff from the minibar.

I really want to give this place a 2. But as I said, the staff (and the location) redeemed the premises somewhat. That's the only reason.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 549JohnW
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear John W,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. I'm glad to hear you found our front desk staff agent to be personable and cheerful. We're proud of our staff. However, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced because of the internet connection. Rest assured that the issues you have raised has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Roslyn, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

On our way back to the US from Vienna we had an overnight stop in Helsinki. Great opportunity to see at least a part of Finland. As our luggage was going directly through to NY, we took the Finn Air bus into the city. A few steps from the bus is the train station and this hotel. Service, rooms etc. were adequete but nothing great. Biggest problem we had was the restaurant only served a steeply priced buffet. We couldn't even just get a cup of coffee and maybe a slice of toast. They served coffee in the lobby for free but when I went down to the lobby, the decanters were empty, there were no cups and they did nothing about replentishing the coffee bar. At least there is a McDonalds a block away. We walked through Helsinki, found a lovely park and had a great meal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GrandPaRuss
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear GrandPaRuss,

First of all, we like to thank you for having chosen our hotel and we also like to thank you for having taken the time to share your valuable comment with us. We apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

We hope this incident did not mar your overall impression of our hotel and that you can afford us an opportunity of making it right and welcoming you back in the near future.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

A very nice, modern Holiday Inn.
The staff is very friendly and helpful. The gym is a bit small but the location and the rooms make up for it.
Breakfast is also good, lots choices between warm options, fresh fruit and cereal.
Also, typical Finnish bread.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business