“Average Italian fare in Helsinki centrum”

Da Vinci Bar & Ristorante
Ranked #744 of 1,526 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: Italian
Grimsby, Ontario CANADA
“Average Italian fare in Helsinki centrum”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I tried this Italian eatery close to the train station on our last night in Helsinki. The view from the second floor dining room was brilliant. The room was rather small but bustling.
I thought it was going to be a good meal when our starter- the Capri salad with tomatoes and mozzarella cheese came out and it was good. But the rest of it was rather disappointing. I ordered a shrimp pasta dish and it did not look fresh or appealing at all. In fact it looked like leftover from the day before. The portion was also modest for 16 euros. My wife and I shared a margarita pizza for 11 euros. The size was generous but the taste and presentation were distinctly average especially compared to the pizzas from Naples or Rome.
We found the service good. And warm bread (which was excellent) was available as much as you wish. The prices were cheap for expensive Helsinki and for the location. Not the best Italian food in the world, but try it if you are super eager to have Italian food and counting your euros.

• Visited October 2013

• Finnish first
Helsinki, FInland
“Fresh and tasty Italian in the heart of Helsinki”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

A friend recommended Da Vinci and now that I have tasted their food I can see why, although I was a bit suspicious at first. The restaurant is on the busiest part of Helsinki, close to bus and train stations and major shopping malls, and I thought they might not be very ambitious food-wise, as they could expect to have customers anyway, because of the location. The view from upstairs on the stream of people passing by is great! But the menu offered plenty of choice, and the salad I chose, was just lovely: crispy vegetables, tasty fish and some nice special touches such as a ripe fig to top it all. The portion was good size too. My companion was quite happy with her pizza. People around us were mainly having various pasta dishes.The food does not exactly blow your mind but this is not a standard fare Italian but definitely they are trying more. The service was friendly and easy, but when it got busier, we had to wait for our bill, as there was only one waiter upstairs who took care of everything. The price was alright and matched the quality of the food. There was some music i the background upstairs but it was relatively neutral and I noticed many people were having long and hearty conversations. There are some tables and a bar downstairs but more tables upstairs, still,

Las Vegas
“Here it is!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

After ordering a bottle of wine and 2 pasta entrees we finally received our bottle of wine. When it arrived in a bucket unopened, the waitress said "here it is" and left it on the table for us to open and pour ourselves. I told my husband, open up and pour! We then received our pastas and I asked for parmesan cheese and was told yes, right away. I finished my pasta and still no parmesan and no apology was provided. It takes monumental effort for my husband to not tip, but this time it was easy. As for the bread should you want it, walk to a corner, cut and serve yourself. Service is not their expertise and at the price they charge you should get better than this. Our bill was about $100 US$, that is with a bottle of wine that would cost you $US 9.00. Wow, hard to believe when in Helsinki. Hope it gets better from here.

Hamburg, Germany
“Very good pizzas and a friendly staff”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Perfect situated close to the Hakaniemi market this is a good place to take your lunch after walking around on the market place. We tried the pizzas and the lasagne and were really satisfied from size of the servings as well as the taste. Prizes are (for Helsinki) really reasonable and the staff was very friendly so we can recommend a visit when you are in this part of town.

Edmonton, Canada
“Take Time to Enjoy a Local Drink & People Watch”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Great location to enjoy a local beer, sit outside on their patio and people watch.  The staff were friendly and people traffic was continuous.

• Visited July 2013