CheapSleep Helsinki
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$152
Anna Hotel(Helsinki)(Great Value!)
$104
$101
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscheap sleepcommon roomtop bunkkallio districthuge common areafridge spacemassage chairminute bus rideshared kitchenpublic transporttravel cardsame buildingfree wifidirty dishescapital cityexpensive citygood nights sleep
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed at this hostel for 3 nights before we left Finland. We are a family of 3, with an 11 month old.

We booked the private disabled room with the attached bathroom. This made life easier with a baby. The room itself had a double bed, a small desk, a wardrobe, and 2 chairs. All were of the cheapest Ikea quality. The room itself was very tiny. We had to put our daughter's travel crib in the bathroom and there was hardly any room for her to move around and play.

If you like hard beds, then you'll enjoy the beds at this hostel. The beds are only slightly softer than the floor. The comforters are very thin, and full of hair.

The ceiling wasn't finished wide open and you could see the old warehouse pipes, wires and such.

The doors weren't very good. You could hear everything that went on in the hallway. This includes drunk people talking in the middle of the night.

The weekend we stayed it was very busy. As a result, the internet was pretty crappy. We didn't get a good signal in our room and it kept kicking us off unexpectedly.

The hostel seems to only have one person cleaning the whole place. He was a nice guy and worked very hard, but there was just too much work for one person to do. The place was a mess. Bring some flip flops to this place and don't walk around without shoes.

The bathroom stalls were very small, and the showers spared water everywhere, making the whole bathroom floor wet anytime someone took a shower.

The kitchen was actually very well stocked. Make sure to wash your dishes before and after you use them. The fridges were very dirty with rotting food in all of them. The first night there, the fruit we had put in there for our daughter went missing, meaning she didn't have any breakfast and we had to run to the shop to get her something to eat.

The hostel itself isn't actually close to any attractions. But it is close to many bus and streetcar lines. There are plenty of smaller restaurants and cafes near by. The biggest convenience is the grocery store that is right downstairs.

Over all, you get what you pay for. If you are looking for a quick and cheap place to sleep while on your travels and want to meet some new people along the way, this might be the place for you. If you are looking for any sort of comfort, pay the extra money and stay elsewhere. It'll be worth it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tyanna01
Management response:Responded June 28, 2013

Hi Tyanna01,
I'm sorry that you haven't enjoyed your stay with us. There are many points which I agree we could work harder on but a few about which I can't agree.
As a hostel we do have budget furniture, though saying it is the cheapest Ikea quality is unfair. In regards to the room size I'm afraid to say we actually have larger than average private rooms compared to the leading chains of budget hotels. That said, compared to a full service hotel, I agree, it is smaller, but thankfully, so are our prices. Your room was approx. 16m2, for the benefit of other potential guests reading this.

I'm sorry you found our beds hard. Hardness/softness of mattresses is very challenging for hotels/hostels. I fear were I to make your mattress softer I would have complaints from guests who are very happy as it is. We have tried to stick to a middle road, but I realize that cannot please everyone.

I promise you the ceiling was finished. We have not put in false ceilings to create a more open feel and to give a slight "industrial" design vibe. As you may know, in our opening year, 2012, Helsinki was the design capital of the world, and a great many guests during this time have commented on how contemporary our hostel is. We have also innovated within our dorm rooms, making clever use of room layout to give our guests extra privacy, whilst at the same time our common room runs through the heart of the property, making it more of a social hub.

I'm sorry your sleep was disturbed. I'm afraid I must disagree regarding the standards of our doors. All of our doors meet the latest Finnish fire and noise insulation standards. These are some of the toughest in the world and our entire property has been installed by experts and inspected by the fire department and building code department.

We have an additional router installed in the private room corridor to improve range and we have moved our hosting to new servers to improve performance and reliability. I apologize for our previous failings in this matter.

Whilst our guests usually comment that cleanliness is one of our strongest features we know we can always do more. For this reason we are planning to hold more deep cleanings to compliment our daily cleans. In addition to that, should you still feel the floors are not up to scratch, we now offer complimentary CheapSleep slippers to every guest staying in our private rooms. Dorm guests can pick them up for 2€ a pair!

We have taken steps to improve the ventilation of our showers so that they dry out quicker.

I am sorry to hear another guest stole your daughter's food. Sadly, these problems plague communal fridges everywhere and they do happen from time to time.

Thanks for pointing out our excellent transport connection, they really are very good; two tram lines and about 30 bus lines 24hr a day, including the bus to the airport and tram lines to all the ferry ports. Further more, we now sell a full range of travel cards (including for children and infants) from our front desk.
As for attractions, I'd like to point out that Tropicario, named Helsinki Tourist Attraction of the year, is just two floors below us!

On your final point I think it is fair. We are a hostel and we cannot provide the same level of service and comfort that a major chain of business hotels could, or at least, we couldn't without charging similar pricing, which in Helsinki would be 3 x as much, at least. However, our guests usually comment in their reviews on booking websites that we offer the best combination of price, comfort, cleanliness and especially social atmosphere. We take all reviews, good or bad, seriously and we have been and will continue to work to improve our service offering.
Thanks for staying with us,

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I got to Helsinki and it was the coldest weather experience in my life, but when I checked in in CheapSleep Helsinki I felt it like a paradise, perfect place warm, helpful staff, super hot and nice showers, big dorms with everything as you need! The reception people was talking, helping and organising activities! Far, the best hostel in my trip!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank EduardoLicciardi
Management response:Responded July 11, 2013

Hi Eduardo,
Yep, Helsinki can be cold outside in the winter, but CheapSleep is always cozy inside. What's more, since your stay we've started a pub crawl twice a week that will definitely take you to some bars that will warm you up! Wristbands cab be purchased from the front desk.
Hope you stop by Helsinki some time soon!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

unless you are staying at the largerd dorms, the place is expencive. the internet is fast and the common area is large - kitchen seemed to have everything one would need as well. the noisyness beins around 17 when the upper floor gym (aerobics or whatever) beings, but luckily settles down before nighttime. The beds have really thin matresses, not comfortable at all. the shower/wc area has a weird planning - really tingy stalls for the toilets and no place to put your towle or clothes while showering unless you want to up them at the other end of the room. So overall - a fine place to crash for a night, but not a place to stay for much longer.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank piret v
Management response:Responded July 17, 2013

Hi piret v,
It's great to hear you liked our internet and our large common room. Sorry to hear you found our prices too high. We aim to be the lowest price dorm beds in Helsinki and we nearly always are. Sometimes when there are events prices can go higher, much like the airlines or hotels, so perhaps that was the case when you stayed.
I am pleased to say there is no longer a gym upstairs. They have closed.
I'm surprised you found our mattresses too thin, most guests are quite happy with our beds, but I understand that each person has their own taste.
Our shower rooms all have benches, shelves and hooks to hang towels.
Hope you'll consider us again next time you pass through Helsinki,

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I realised that this was a hostel, not a hotel.

But based on my experience from e.g. Stockholm where you - within the walls of well run hostels - can find great single rooms in hotel style for half the regular single room rate - I thought I would try this option out in Helsinki as well.

49 EUR: that's half of what the cheapest regular Holiday Inn-like hotel room is in Helsinki. The room was large, but anything but comfy. No decoration, not even inner ceilings. No TV, but great free WiFi. The bed was large enough for one, but it was sold as a double and then you'd better be close friends...

The showstopper for most people is likely the fact that there's only showers, toilet and zink in the corridor - to be shared with fellow guests.

Breakfast is DIY from the supermarket below - or pay extra at a café across the street.

Conclusion: Cheap - yes. Value for money - not really. You get twice as much in that Holiday Inn-like single room and then you might pay the double.

The wall painting in my room (208) was indicating that I would be sweaty while dreaming. Not easy with spelling always, but a smile for me... (see picture)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We arrived by train at 7am and didn't know the city at all. We must have walked 6 miles. Get a one day pass early and save your shoes. 7a tram will get you within block. The girl at the front was so nice and let us get in early. The place is clean and the store just downstairs is easy

Room Tip: More room in the larger dorms if you pick the beds on the outside and not in the tiny rooms
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 26, 2013

Hi Margo,
Glad to hear you liked your stay with us, sorry to hear getting to us was a little tricky. To make life easier, we've put details transport instructions on our website about how to reach us and we have also started to sell travel cards from our front desk, so unlimited transport in Helsinki can be as cheap as just a few euros a day. We also have free transport maps for our guests available around the front desk.