“Small and cozy but strictly for vegetarians only” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #58 of 1,453 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Tasty food, fresh ingredients and cosy service. Wine prices are decent.
Milan, Italy
“Small and cozy but strictly for vegetarians only”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is an unusual restaurant as it has two distinct features. First of all it is very tiny and cozy as it can accommodate just less than 20 persons; the setup is actually very pleasant, as the small restaurants develops behind a wide window on the street and the furniture and decorations are a good example of Scandinavian minimalism. The second and most relevant feature is that it is strictly a vegetarian restaurant. And at this point I have to issue a disclaimer: I am a non-vegetarian and I do not enjoy vegetarian menus. Therefore, this place might be great if you are vegetarian but it might become claustrophobic if you are not. Claustrophobia has nothing to do with the dimensions of the place but with the narrow choice you are left with if you are not vegetarian. The perception is that you are seen as an intruder, as the young waiter looks kindly at you with suspicion. You have only a couple non vegetarian choices which include a rabbit which I found just about right. You are also invited to follow the wine choices of the house by the glass, which is not always satisfactory. I have to report that there is a “surprise menu”, once again strictly vegetarian which I have not tried. However if you go for it, you should be warned that it takes between two and three hours. Final observation, I found it very expensive in relative and absolute terms. A twocourse dinner for two was charged more than €160. Overall I must say that, although I have enjoyed the place, I was indeed in the wrong place and I felt to be as such. Maybe great for vegetarians but for me the judgment, also in consideration of the cost, is just “average”

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank paulus_diaconus61

• Finnish first
Oslo, Norway
“fantastic night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

The food was inventive and mostly exelent.
The service was nice and the location is special due to it being the size of a living room.
Do not miss it, when going to Helsinki.

Visited August 2012
Parma, Italy
“I was expecting more”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

It pretends to be innovative like some kind of novelle cuisine, but it is too much destructurated and not expert enaugh. Flavours are too much separated and some times not in armony.
For example I had a steamed fish covered by a garlic foam and beans but this strange foam was covering all the other flavours.

The proposed wine was not good

I travel a lot for work trying several restaurants every week and i can say that this one is too much overevaluated.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Fruller
Edmonds, Washington
“No place better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Walked into this place and was treated superbly from the first minute. Ordered the surprise menu with wines so had no idea what we were getting at each course. Everything was unique and tasty and the paired wines were perfect. Owned by the wine steward and chef and they both explained each course and why they paired with each wine. Very friendly staff and beautiful little spot that seats about 18. We were lucky to get in without a reservation but only because we were there early so reserve your spot! This place should not be missed.

• Visited September 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
“One of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We were celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary in Helsinki and wanted to find a nice restaurant for dinner. Based on their scoring on tripadvisor we decided to select Spis. Our expectations were high but we were not disappointed. The personnel in the restaurant were very professional and the food was excellent. My wife does not speak finnish but the personnel provided service in both English and Swedish. The restaurant is very small, totally 18 seats were available that were all occupied during the evening. We ordered the 5 meal surprise meny together with recommended wines. In the end we got totally 9 dishes including the extras that the kitchen was providing. In summary this was one of the best restaurant experience we ever had.