“A nice gourmet surprise”
Review of G.W. Sundmans - CLOSED

G.W. Sundmans
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I went here with my colleagues and since we didn't quite know what to expect we were first surprised that there wasn't a typical menu to choose from. However, we made our choises based on what the Majeur d'homme proposed, and then followed a cavalcade of tiny but delicious amuse-bouches, tasty first courses, fabulously beautiful maincourses, in-between-courses and finally the dessert. Everything was really good! The service was impeccable - we had 3 people waiting on the 3 of us, and that felt exceptional. We chose our wine from an iPad - a first for us - and were not dissapointed. Also the choise of Grappa was quite impressing. All and all it was a very good experience, but I'm glad that I didn't have to pick up the bill. My boss who prefers more down-to-earth kind of restaurants didn't enjoy it as much, but then again this is the kind of restaurant that I would probably just visit a few times as a total, or then only for really special occations.

There are newer reviews for G.W. Sundmans

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Last night was my second or third visit to the famous GW Sundmans....the fact I cannot remember was it second or third visit tells you something.
The restaurant has a fantastic location and the interior decor has an old world charm. The conceirge is very good. We had reserved the place for a business dinner for 10..! As soon as we were seated, the downhill journey started...the waiter insisted on speaking in Finnish although the reservation was clearly not made in the name of a Finn...Restuarants of this kind, you'd expect the waiters to know the menu and a smattering of french; ours insisted on serving us Fooey Grass( foie gras)..neither did he combine the wines well.
The food was very average and quantities were really meant to be picked on..:-) The bill was the final nail in the coffin....outrageous !

1  Thank cic92
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Over the years a number of meals linger in the memory and this will certainly be one of them. I would recommend going for the either the 3,5 or 7 course signature menu as these are a fine introduction to the ingredients and flavours of the region, many of which were not too familiar to us. The whole evening was executed with perfection and the service was impeccable without being over-bearing. The restaurant is upstairs in an old sea captain's house centrally located overlooking the harbour area and we thought it was really atmospheric.

It is certainly not cheap the prices are 58, 78 and 98 euros respectively for the 3,5 and 7 course menus (without wine). However if you really want a memorable evening I would suggest the money is well spent! Downstairs is Sundman's Krog which seems to be a less formal eatery but the menu look every bit as interesting and might well be worth a try if fancy something a little less painful on the wallet.

1  Thank owen333
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I had an excellent night out at Sundmans. Make sure to book (well) in advance, as on this Saturday night the restaurant was full.

The restaurant is located in an old house facing Helsinki harbour and market place, where the old details of the buildings have been kept. The interior is very classy, with thick oriental (?) carpets and beautiful furniture, in a very quiet and dim atomsphere.

The food was beautifully presented, down to the smallest details, and tasted amazingly fine. We took the advised wine pairing, which seemed also quite appropriate.

The only small complaint that I could formulate is that I had wished that the warm dishes would be slightly warmer to be fully enjoyable.

I highly recommend this restaurant and will definitely go again!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

With fine dining and wines. This is quite an expensive place to dine (and when you buy their cookery book be prepared to make meals for 15!!! :-)) ), however, this was always a place I went on a reasonably regular basis because the food, wines and service are excellent. A Special place if you wish to take some one out for the evening