“Well done museum of Finnish history”

National Museum of Finland
Book In Advance
More Info
$52.15*
and up
Helsinki Card
Ranked #23 of 282 things to do in Helsinki
More attraction details
Owner description: National Museum illustrates Finnish history from medieval times to the 19th century. The museum's unique exhibits tells of the life from a period of over 1000 years. Temporary exhibitions on current themes and an interactive exhibition Vintti, where you can experience history by doing yourself.
Wedowee, Alabama
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Well done museum of Finnish history”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We spent several hours at the National Museum of Finland while in Helsinki. This museum is included in the Helsinki pass or was 8 Euro for adults. We found the museum to be very well laid out and provided a good history of Finland including an exhibit on the Sami indigenous people (semi-nomadic reindeer herders). The building itself is impressive with the ceiling frescos. I would recommend visiting this museum to get a sense of Finland through the ages.

Visited September 2013

• Turkish first
Kuopio, Finland
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Finland's history in a compact packet”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I have, as a Finn, of course visited this museum many times. There is an admission free entry during fridays from 4pm until 6pm when the museum gets closed. There are many interesting exhibitions about Finnish history and some exhibitions which are changing, for example about some persons who have been strongly contributing into the Finland's republic.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank JPDH2
Helsinki
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“History”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

They have the basic museum layout of Finnish history. In addition to that I really love the "1900" Exhibition, because it takes me back to my childhood - 1950, -60, -70
Also the exhibition with the old maps was interesting and well put together. I love the ide of their Discussion Guide who will give you further information,

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Hyasintti
Riverside, Illinois
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Lots of very informative displays”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We spent a few hours at the National Museum of Finland, learning about the origins of the people and the changes in their daily life. There were items from archaeological digs, clothing and textiles, jewelry, weapons, and lots of other displays.

Visited October 2013
Bainbridge Island, Washington
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“just what I was looking for”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I spent a nice afternoon by myself exploring the National Museum of Finland. I enjoyed the pre-historical artifacts as well as more modern ones, Since my mother came from Finland, I was particularly interested in anything I could learn. I loved the peasant clothing displays, and other articles used in every day day life by the common people.

Visited August 2013