“New Decor and name change”

Scandic Park Helsinki
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Helsinki
Los Angeles, California
“New Decor and name change”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

The Scandic Continental in Helsinki has changed it's name to The Scandic Park. This was my second time staying at this hotel and I still enjoyed my stay even without the use of the suana. The hotel has started to update some of the rooms. I myself did not like the new decor of gray color and tiny shower (424 I think) so I was able to change to one of the older rooms which I very much enjoyed (484). The suana was not available this time and I was very disappointed as the view of the river at night from the sauna was beautiful. I like ths short walk to the rail station to get the bus to the airport even though the Finnair bus is the better bus to take at night since it drops you off almost right in front of the hotel. I plan on staying again at this Scandic hotel in Helsinki when I return to the city.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Samford, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We had a freshly renovated room that was stylish and functional. A nice view over the Toolo bay. The room lacked coffee and tea making facilities. no bath but that was not a problem for me especially when the shower was good.
The breakfast was in the end of a long'ish walk and the room looked like an old nightclub, but that is because of the ongoing renovations. Food was okay, disappointed with dry bacon and scrambled egg.
There is a kiosk style shop in the lobby but the service was not that good, I purchased one coffee from the self service coffee machine and waited to pay for several minutes while the man behind the bar mixed cocktails chatting to a customer, he ignored mefo a while and then told that I could go and pay at the reception around the corner - why couldn't he tell t in the first place.
Check-out was a strange experience. It was all fine until the lady behind the counter just walked off without telling me why and if she is coming back. I waited few minutes and then got someone else o finish the check-out. Most bizarre.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Lahti, Finland
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I was little apprehensive to come to this hotel after reading the reviews here. First impression was nice: hotel lobby was clean and recently decorated. We were guided to our room that looked really lovely. Unfortunatelly the tv did not work, but the staff moved us to the room next door and did apologize for the inconvienience.
Both rooms were clean and redecorated. What I would have liked to have in the room, was coffee and tea. Also the room was quite cold and at least I couldn't figure out how to adjust temperature. Breakfest was ok, nothing special, but I got my tummy filled. Overall I thought it was a nice stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The first impression of the hotel was nice. We were welcomed in alright, and guided to our room. We were pleased to notice that our wish to have a bath tub had been taken into account.

Overall the room was OK. It was quite old and was missing coffee/tea, but it was clean and had all the necessary. However, it was dark and there was no lamp on the ceiling, so all the light came from table lamps.

During the evening some of the guests had decided to dump used baby diapers to the hallway, and these were still there even when we checked out around 11 AM - the smell, so lovely... The indoor air was generally quite bad.

Breakfast was hard to find, but it was allright. They had a nice choice of food, altough the hot breakfast was cold and greesy. Yet, I think it was probably the best part in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Elimäki, Southern Finland, Finland
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

On arrival parking entrace was hard to find and parking was expencive.
Also we have to drag our bags few steps to hotel.
Reception was uninformative and service almost rude.
We were using our freguent customer Scandic friend points to pay our stay, but we did not get free newspaper, nor given any directions to lifts, or how to find room, were not told about facilities and all this was done without smile.
Our room was meant to be newly renovated, but had a sofa placed next to bed so that it was blocking the way.
Bedsheets were made up fom two separate sheets, lamps could not be turned off from bed and to turn bathroom light off, keycard needed to be removed from doorway pocket as there was no other way to turn this light off.
Electrical cables were visibly hanging from lamps etc.
...wallpaper was nice.
Only bar was in lobby area and felt like bus station kiosk as they were selling all sorts at the same area.
However the gentleman running this very expencive kiosk was nice and friendly.
Breakfast was poor in many ways, the quality of food was average, tables were not cleaned and far too many people were packed in very small area.
On chek out no smile, no welcome again, no nothing..
I will be avoiding this hotel in future as there is so much nicer hotels for same price in Helsinki.
This hotel should have 2 stars max.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anja J
Pirkkala, Finland
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Customer service lacking in all frontiers.

Reception:
check in:No any explanations where is what etc., especially as the renowation is still ongoing.
check out: no questions were even asked if everything was ok, nor wishing welcome again etc.
Room: Not cleaned properly before or during the 2 nights stay, room needed an urgent renowation.
As many of the things were in average level and got the discounted price, the overall grading is average, otherwise would have been a poor experience.
The location of this hotel is good, so it's hard to understand why on earth the customer service has dropped on each visit during last 3 years of using this hotel and I'm not even super demanding, just that the basic things would work and rooms are clean. Breakfast room was hard to find, breakfast selection was not so versatile.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Shampanja
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Nice and fresh old hotel with a new face but...
Service at the reception was poor and clumsy - everything had to be asked.
When we got to the room it was a mess: many items where missing (tea and coffee, papers from toilet) and there had been no cleaning - dust and large dust bunnys.
Our room change has handled very well and it left a nice feeling and the second room was fresh and generally ok. Breakfest room was hard to find and go to and also the breakfest was very poor.

Alltogether the hotel left a image that says " I'm not finished and I don't care!"

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple