“Location & service +++++”

Scandic Park Helsinki
Ranked #23 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed couple of times in Scandic Continental when there has been rock concerts in Olympic Stadium. This is ideal place to spend night because it's so close. Last time we came to hotel a bit too early and our room wasn't ready yet, so we got to sauna and pool on the top floor.

• Stayed: July 2013
There are newer reviews for Scandic Park Helsinki

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Our Superior plus room was excellent, a lot of space, very clean and equipped with all necessary gears. Room was located in the 9th floor so no noise caused by the outside renovation. Reception desk was horrible, both check-in and out took a lot of time and it seemed not to be under control. Also breakfast in the morning was too busy and food was finished all the time. You had to que to get cup of coffee, okay, everything. Very annoying. Car park was not available, but we had to use another hotels car parks which were expensive. Location ok.

Room Tip: ask minimum 7th floor room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Ville M
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed here for one night and I would not recommend this to anyone. At least not before the construction is finished. Loud noises start early in the morning and go on all day. Reception staff was unaware what was happening in the hotel. For example, there was three different answers to a simple question "what time is the breakfast tomorrow?".
Our room was on the third floor, just next to the construction area, and I wonder was the hotel so booked that this was the best they could offer. Bathroom was big and clean, but smelled really odd. Tv was old and all the channels were blurry. Bed on the other hand was quite comfortable.
Location is good and breakfast was very comprehensive.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Far-out2
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Wow, has this hotel gone downhill.
I have been here before, and I remember my last visit to have been forgettable but nice.
Nothing too fancy but comfortable. It has been an OK hotel in the past.
Not anymore.

Me and my spouse we there to have a quick getaway to celebrate my birthday.
It was supposed to be a little relaxing break for just us two.
It started already when making a reservation.
It was very important to us to have our room preferences met, so I e-mailed the hotel.
I never got an answer.
(I usually always do this in the day of arrival if we're staying at a hotel and I've always received an answer within 20 minutes)
Not this time. So we just left to our birthday celebration trip without knowing, what kind of room we were gonna get.

So... we entered the hotel lobby, we were greeted by an older grumpy gentleman behind the desk. (perhaps 45-55 of age, blond)
Or, more like, we greeted him first to get him to notice us and then he sneered something back at us.
How lovely.
I had mentioned my birthday in the booking so I sort of expected them to regard it in some way....as they do in every other hotel I've ever been..
I would have appreciated even "happy birthday" and a smile at the front desk, but there was just no effort.
And that, as I was going to know, was the general party line in this hotel.
They barely endure their guests under the hotel roof but they're certainly NOT going to do anything for them, big or small.

So, I had tried to get the information out of them, was the room going to be one of our liking, but no one ever answered me. Turned out, it wasn't.
So there was a problem, and they tried to resolve it by treating two of their guests like air and just hope they would shut up about it.
We didn't. We got our room, but had to pay 15 euros extra.
(It didn't occur to them that they could've granted this little luxury for the birthday girl)

So we got our keycards (front desk personnel had lost interest after he tossed our keys in front of us, so we thanked his back for giving us our keys)

Our room was filled with tobacco stench and though the AC was effective and very cold, it couldn't lose the smell.
It was very basic room, there was only one pillow per person, one towel per person, one hand towel per person etc.
Tried to contact the front desk, no answer.
I was very sorry when we had to disturb the overworked maid with our requests, at least she was nice. So we got our extra towels and extra pillows and headed to our room.
We found robes but not slippers to go with them.
Maid had finished so I tried to contact the front desk again. This time someone answered.
I was told we could buy the cheap looking white slippers with hotel logo on them from the shop at the lobby. We decided.to pass.

It was time to go to swim and visit sauna. (wearing our bath robes and our shoes :)
The 2 stars in my review are for the pool ; it was nice and big, unlike the most hotel pools.
We spent some lovely time there and it was very refreshing.
Sauna however was not as lovely, it was small and didn't warm to high enough temperatures.
It was more like just a warm room.

We went to bath when having arrived to our room again.
The soap and shampoo were in big dispensers and not in little tubes as usual.
There were not toothbrush, body lotion or shaving equipment in the room.

Later on, when we went to sleep, I noticed I couldn't.
The air-con was way too cold and my arms started to ache (and I'm a young woman, so definitely not a smoking room for any elder travelers) .. I couldn't sleep for the whole night.
I figured maybe I could stay awake until the breakfast and then have a big nap after it.
front desk : " yeeeah, we have been given instructions that we HAVE TO charge 10 euros per an hour per person for extension..."
..So I would've have to pay 40euros extra if I wanted to have a bit of sleep and stay until 2pm ?
Needless to say, we had no deal.
Again, it didn't occur to them to waive this little fee for their loyal customer celebrating her birthday..?
I was a little shocked, since I've always got it, free of charge in the other chains.
I always ask nicely for a possibility to extension, when I'm traveling and I has always been possible to arrange. Every time.
This was Monday and hotel was half empty. But then they would have lost a valuable opportunity to pocket the 40 extra euros of customers money if they'd made them a favor.. I totally get it.

The breakfast was below average.
No service to the table, there was no bacon and scrambled eggs had been made from powder.
Cold cuts, breads and juice were good.

We got back into our room right after breakfast, got our bags
and got out of there, back home to sleep.

Cheers, Scandic Continental, you obviously have enough customers already that put up with the "care" they receive; we'll give the other hotels a chance next time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Passenger111
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The location is good for the city centre. Buy a bus pass, hop on the tram outside and you're in the centre in a few minutes. The trams are great. Very punctual. The hotel is not cheap, not much is cheap in Helsinki. My single room was small again, my second stay here. You don't get tea and coffee in the room and I only had a shower, no bath. Only BBC World News on the TV, so not much entertainment. No air con either. Nice and quiet though, so I slept we'll each night.
On the plus side, dinner and breakfast were very good. Dinner was reasonably priced and very appetising, breakfast is a buffet and is informal. There are also two terminals adjacent to the reception with free Internet and a selection of books to read. Staff are very good, excellent English and very efficient. Check in and out was fine. Overall, a good experience.

Room Tip: Singe rooms seem small but doubles seemed ok. My room was at the back and was quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Good size room (Superior Plus), excellent bed, good staff.

Terrible decor reminiscent of the seventies but, as we were reminded at 7 am every morning, the hotel is currently undergoing a major revamp which, hopefully, will include the orange carpets. Breakfast is poor as is the design of the dining room. The location is not ideal either for people with walking difficulties but there are decent cafes and restaurants nearby

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Didnotbat
Reviewed May 31, 2013

There is a major renovation by the looks of it from the outside. This is not apparent on the website. However it's close to many cultural places, and within walking distance to the centre. Best check with the hotel current situation.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo