“Basic single room, quite nice location next to shopping centre” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Helka
Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersBronze level
Oulu, Finland
“Basic single room, quite nice location next to shopping centre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I spent one night in Helka. There wasn't air conditioning but ventilator in the room. Normally you don't need air conditioning in Finland but this summer it was uncommonly hot. Anyway, I didn't suffer the hotness.
Single room was very basic with comfortable bed, desk and chair. It's okey for a short stay.

• 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Having spent many hours searching for a mid price 'Finnish design' hotel, we booked a deluxe double room and a standard single at Hotel Helka for a five night stay. We have just returned from our holiday here and so here is an outline of our experience. On arrival from the airport we walked to the hotel from the central railway station, but got a little lost at one point in the mile long underpass that runs from the Kiasma gallery square to outside the hotel - a little diconcerting at night time for travellers. Keep to the roads/pedestrian walkways heading to Kampii to get there safely and more quickly. On arrival, the reception staff were efficient and the Finnish style was apparent in the decor. The walls and the lift doors are decoprated in forest photo murals on each floor which was a quirky touch as we exited the lift to our rooms. The deluxe double room viewed out onto the street on the sixth floor and was adequate although there was a distinct lack of hanging space and hangers. The walk in shower was good and the bed comfortable. The single standard room on the forth floor looked out into the central service space of the hotel and was very very tiny!! Single travellers you have been warned.... The air con did not work in the double room and we had to have the window open as Helsinki was in the middle of a heat wave. The noise from the road made it difficult to sleep but at least we were a little cooler. The breakfast was adequate but lacked choice for veggies which was expected. We stayed for dinner once but found it expensive for the quality of the food offered. A few doors down there was the excellent Fafa's which reputedly sells the best falafals in Helsinki and open until 5 am Fridays and Saturdays...we agreed that they were delicious!. The hotel is very close to Kampii shopping area where the hop on hop off bus tours pick up/set down from. Recommended for first day to get orientated and you get to see the Olympic stadium, harbour, marina etc. It was an easy route through Kampii area to get to the central railway square or Senate square near the marina and the harbour market. If you wanted to be nearer the old town and the beautiful Merisatana coastal area I would recommend another hotel as it took about 40minutes to walk to this area from Helka. The highlights of our stay were the boat trips around the Islands, Cafe Ursula on the Merisatana coastal area, the flea market and the Tram Pub which takes you for 40min tour around Helsinki. A wonderful time in Helsinki especially with the heatwave felt more like holidaying in the med! Would come again to see more of the design museums and galleries but would probably stay in a different hotel maybe Hotel Glo. Finnair was a great choice for our flights.. lots of leg room, complimentary drinks and sandwiches and art gallery space for waiting to board for return flight.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I recently spent 3 nights in this hotel, and while I essentially approve, there are three basic things they should sort out:

1. It says on their website that they have air-conditioning. They do not.
We booked this hotel with the heat-wave in Finland (July 2014) in mind, and when we got there we found our tiny room as hot as a baker's oven. We arrived late and thought that the ac dial on the wall just needed adjustment and the ac needed some time to "cool the room down," but nothing happened. By around 2.45am, my smartphone read the temperature to 29.9c.
We basically didn't sleep that night!
We explained this to the concierge, whom admitted that it is not an AC, but a "ventilation system." Fine, but don't say that you have AC when you don't...
We were offered a free upgrade to premium room (20EUR worth), which we appreciated. This room was better as it faced the courtyard and the "ventilation" seemed to work better there.

2. They have diabolical coffee. If all else fails, make sure you serve good coffee!!
I am Scandinavian myself, and accustomed to all sorts of coffee, from the bitter tar that people sweeten with sugar, the filter-drip juice of the canteens to the strong heart-attack inducing cafetieres of the more open-minded. But this was just terrible.

3. Their pillows are horrible. Imagine the cheapest IKEA pillows, with balls of polyester rumbling around. Not cool.

On the bright side, it has modern decoration, free Wifi, it is (mostly, apart from some scary hairs) clean, and has a jolly breakfast room. Not to all tastes, definitely very "Nordic", but healthy and decent. And it is conveniently located.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, chose a premium room and make sure you face the courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have visited hotel Helka many times during the last years. The staff is always very friendly. The rooms are comfortable and the style is very Finnish. I can highly recommend the hotel. The breakfast is good. Also dinner can be recommended.

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
Geelong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I had chosen the Helka Hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews but it exceeded my expections. The staff are attentive to making your stay as enjoyable as possible. I spent 4 days at the start of 2 months in Europe and returned for my last night. On my return the temperature was 30+ and the air conditioner had been turned on in my room before my arrival.
The design features in the room which made a small room seem large could have keep me indoors appreciating them if Helsinki was not such a beautiful city. I loved lying in bed looking up at the huge canvas of a Finland landscape.
I walked everywhere from this hotel. There is a pedestrian walkway in from of the hotel which leads you almost to the train station, bus station and Finnair bus to the airport. I even managed this walk with all my luggage.
I travel extensively and have stayed in numerous deluxe hotels, but the Helka is now my favourite hotel. Thank goodness I also loved Finnair so I will be back as soon as possible.

1 Thank heatherjn
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Belka is within walking distance from the central bus station (one of trashiest I have seen) and attractions. Don't be fooled by its unattractive exterior and lobby, as the room interior is much better - clean, efficient and thoughtful. (I would not pick the reverse.) I was able to walk to most attractions without even taking transit in the four days in Helsinki. Staff was helpful and knowledgeable. Breakfast was nutritious and varied. And the price is right!

1 Thank AGSserv
Itaquaquecetuba, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We spent 2 nights in this hotel to celebrate my birthday.We were really impressed with this hotel;the staff was efficient and friendly,the room clean and very quiet and furnished according to Finnish design.The reception area is welcoming,on the 6th floor there is a small but new and clean sauna.The hotel is located right in the center of the city.Breakfast was spectacular with Finnish berries,porridge,many types of bread,cheeses,sausages,piirakka,eggs,cakes and fruits.
The clientele is mainly Japanese,which seems to have an affinity to Finnish character.
We highly recommend this hotel and we'll surely come back.We found also a good price on the internet.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple