“A great choice” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Darwin, Australia
“A great choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed at Hleka for two nights while passing through Helsinki. We found our room a decent size with good WIFI and bathroom. The downside was that whilst we loved our two massive windows the curtains were tiny and did a very poor job at cutting out the light (travelled in June when the daylight went from 4am til 11pm). The positives were that it's in a good location where you can easily walk to most attractions as well as to the bus station to catch a bus to the airport. It's also close to the big Kamppi shopping centre which we found convenient for the supermarket etc.
One of the nicest things was that we had to check out early in the morning, before breakfast, so they packed a takeaway breakfast for us to eat later. I would happily stay here again on another trip.

Room Tip: Room 216 has tiny curtains!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Whilst holidaying in Scandavia, visited Finland and spent 2 days there before visiting Tallinn and then off to see bears in the wild. I stayed at Hotel Helka in Helsinki and found it very good. The staff were very helpful, the location good; you are close to No. 9 tram that takes you to the port for the Tallink ferry to Tallin, and it takes ~10 min of walking before you are in the centre of town. For us Australians the shower was a trifle enclosed, otherwise a money for value hotel in Helsinki.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kotka, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

This time I tried the standard single room. Room was quite tiny, as I was informed while I booked it, but compact and suitable for me this time. (I stayed only for one night but if I stayed a longer time, I would consider the premium room.) The bathroom seemed a pretty new one. The room was very clean. The bed was somewhat too soft for me but still got a good night sleep. The room was really peaceful, facing the inner courtyard. The room had a wall-to-wall carpet, which still looked nice but in the years to come might be a bit challenging.

The young woman at the front desk was really nice and welcoming and everything went really smoothly during the check-in and the check-out.

Breakfast was okay, nothing to complain about but nothing to praise about either. Rooms are really pricey in Finland nowadays (and seem to go higher) and I wish that hotels really invested in great breakfasts. (This is not just about Helka but about every hotel.)

To summarize my stay: still like the hotel a lot, will visit again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Oulu, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Helsinki city centre hotels are generally pretty expensive but this one is very good value. The reception staff were extremely helpful. I needed to check in early - without warning them - and was given a room I could access immediately if I wanted. Service was professional and friendly. The room was clean, practical and quiet - not bad at all for a central, busy location. The curtains blocked out light well - believe me in midsummer in Finland that can be an issue!

Breakfast was the best spread I have seen from a Finnish hotel - I have had many!

I recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We booked this hotel through British Airways along with our flights and the rate was really cheap! The hotel is really well located, 5-10mins walking from the railway station and 5mins from Temppeliaukio Kirkko (Rock Church). Our double room was quite nice, decent size, bed quite comfortable and with the cool feature of a big photo in the ceiling, not something you see everywhere. If there's something negative I can say would be the shower size but not really a deal-breaker. Breakfast was decent, a few different options and more than enough for you to have a decent morning meal. Wifi connection was also stable and fast. There is also a sauna in the 6th floor that we didn't use but it's available.
All in all, I would have no doubts in staying here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pedro F
Chris K, Asiakassuhdepäällikkö at Hotel Helka, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Dear Pedro F,

Thank you for your kind review and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Helka.

Rauma, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We wre staying only one night. Room was very comfortable with pine photo ceiling lamp. Breakfast very good with some Finnish specialities. Whole hotel was very clean. Personnell was very friendly. If You are coming with a car there is a garage in basement and some free parking places in the yard. Route to yard is very narrow. The situatoin is excellent for strolling around in the city.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ari-ja-Krisse,

Thank you for your kind review. You are very welcome to visit us again!

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

When travelling on solo, Hotel Helka offers lower rates than the other hotels in Helsinki city centre. Simply because they have smaller rooms with sinlge beds and not just double rooms with single occupancy. My brother had stayed at Helka in 2012 and as he said it was good value for money I didn't hesitate to book a night at this hotel. I was actually on a business trip and had booked another hotel for my stay but I decided to arrive to Helsinki a day earlier than planned. The other hotel was already sold out so I came to Helka.
The design of the hotel is very Finnish and it was spotlessly clean anywhere. Not a change I could have forgotten I'm in my home country and I really enjoyed it for a change. The service was neutral, efficient but friendly.
The location of the hotel is excellent both sightseeing, shopping, dining and nightlife. I took a nap, planning to go out in the evening. But I slept too well and woke up at 3.30 am. Basically all clubs in Finland close at 4 am at the latest. However, right next to Helka there is a club that holds afterparties at 5.00 - 12.00 am during the weekends so I went there. I've been told that the crowd at this place is suspicious but the dance floor was good and I did not notice anything strange. It is worth noting that Helsinki is very safe.
I didn't have breakfast as I slept too late and left the hotel in a hurry. I could not find my passport. In the next hotel I unpacked and still could not find my passport. I called Helka to enquire if it had been found. The receptionist said that the housekeeping had not reported any passports but she promised to what she could and call me back later. However, I was so anxious I went back to the hotel and asked for permission to go and search the room once again as I was told that it was unoccupied at the moment. The friendly receptionist gave me a key card to the room. The passport was found under the New Testament... We laughed together at my weird idea to hide my passport there (without remebering anything about it).
It is not a five star hotel but I give five stars for my general experience, and the athmosphere of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear TroubledAditi,

Hope to see you again at Helka!