“Excellent value and service”
Review of Hotel Helka

Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Helsinki city centre hotels are generally pretty expensive but this one is very good value. The reception staff were extremely helpful. I needed to check in early - without warning them - and was given a room I could access immediately if I wanted. Service was professional and friendly. The room was clean, practical and quiet - not bad at all for a central, busy location. The curtains blocked out light well - believe me in midsummer in Finland that can be an issue!

Breakfast was the best spread I have seen from a Finnish hotel - I have had many!

I recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed June 1, 2014

We booked this hotel through British Airways along with our flights and the rate was really cheap! The hotel is really well located, 5-10mins walking from the railway station and 5mins from Temppeliaukio Kirkko (Rock Church). Our double room was quite nice, decent size, bed quite comfortable and with the cool feature of a big photo in the ceiling, not something you see everywhere. If there's something negative I can say would be the shower size but not really a deal-breaker. Breakfast was decent, a few different options and more than enough for you to have a decent morning meal. Wifi connection was also stable and fast. There is also a sauna in the 6th floor that we didn't use but it's available.
All in all, I would have no doubts in staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pedro F
Chris K, Asiakassuhdepäällikkö at Hotel Helka, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2014

Dear Pedro F,

Thank you for your kind review and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Helka.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

We wre staying only one night. Room was very comfortable with pine photo ceiling lamp. Breakfast very good with some Finnish specialities. Whole hotel was very clean. Personnell was very friendly. If You are coming with a car there is a garage in basement and some free parking places in the yard. Route to yard is very narrow. The situatoin is excellent for strolling around in the city.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Ari-ja-Krisse,

Thank you for your kind review. You are very welcome to visit us again!

Reviewed May 26, 2014

When travelling on solo, Hotel Helka offers lower rates than the other hotels in Helsinki city centre. Simply because they have smaller rooms with sinlge beds and not just double rooms with single occupancy. My brother had stayed at Helka in 2012 and as he said it was good value for money I didn't hesitate to book a night at this hotel. I was actually on a business trip and had booked another hotel for my stay but I decided to arrive to Helsinki a day earlier than planned. The other hotel was already sold out so I came to Helka.
The design of the hotel is very Finnish and it was spotlessly clean anywhere. Not a change I could have forgotten I'm in my home country and I really enjoyed it for a change. The service was neutral, efficient but friendly.
The location of the hotel is excellent both sightseeing, shopping, dining and nightlife. I took a nap, planning to go out in the evening. But I slept too well and woke up at 3.30 am. Basically all clubs in Finland close at 4 am at the latest. However, right next to Helka there is a club that holds afterparties at 5.00 - 12.00 am during the weekends so I went there. I've been told that the crowd at this place is suspicious but the dance floor was good and I did not notice anything strange. It is worth noting that Helsinki is very safe.
I didn't have breakfast as I slept too late and left the hotel in a hurry. I could not find my passport. In the next hotel I unpacked and still could not find my passport. I called Helka to enquire if it had been found. The receptionist said that the housekeeping had not reported any passports but she promised to what she could and call me back later. However, I was so anxious I went back to the hotel and asked for permission to go and search the room once again as I was told that it was unoccupied at the moment. The friendly receptionist gave me a key card to the room. The passport was found under the New Testament... We laughed together at my weird idea to hide my passport there (without remebering anything about it).
It is not a five star hotel but I give five stars for my general experience, and the athmosphere of the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Dear TroubledAditi,

Hope to see you again at Helka!

Reviewed May 25, 2014

I was staying at Helka for couple of nights and it's a great hotel for the money.

It has the business class hotel atmosphere, but is much cozier than the big business hotel chains.
Breakfast was tasty and the hotel location is very central with easy access to a good running track at Töölönlahti. They have a very good sauna on the 6th floor and the only downside of my stay was that the sauna showers had only cold water and therefore forced me to save plenty of water and shower quickly.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Dear ElmoEnsio,

Thank you for your kind review and welcome again. Showers in the sauna are working now :)

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I was there for a 5 day semianar in the hotel. The hotel building is from the 60, 70 years but renovated. I had a single room on the 5th floor, verl small but ok. The breakfast was ok, but no variation for 5 days. Lunch was in buffet form, many buisness peopole are comming from outside for lunch. I had one time a dinner, with a vegetarien risotto, who was very tasty.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Laurent_L,

Thank you for your review and welcome again to Helka!

Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night in Helka. Hotel decoration is awesome and everything is clean. Staff was very helpful and we got also late checkout. Try the suite with steam sauna, it was cool! Suite also has nice sights, because it is in the corner of building. We will definitely visit Helka again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple