“Great hostel, uninformed staff”

Hostel Domus Academica
Reviewed June 10, 2014

An otherwise great stay marred by bad service - conflicting information from different staff members regarding sauna access, cab fares and, in particular, the outgoing ferries - not helped by the display of a completely incorrect ferry timetable on the wall. Some final bad advice saw us sent to a non-existent sailing, and therefore at the wrong terminal to get the next one, and our Helsinki stay ended with a four hour wait at the uninspiring ferry terminal. BUT the room, location and facilities were great - just use the available wifi to make your own ongoing plans!

• Stayed: June 2014

Reviewed June 8, 2014

It's not a hostel, as we understand it,it'rather better! There are 2 beds In standard room, bathroom, Stowe,fridge. You can take kitchen ware on the first floor, in guest kitchen. Very friendly staff. Close to the railway stathion.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for one night in a twin room with private bathroom. This wasn't our first choice but everything else in Heksinki was booked however we were very surprised! The hostel is more like a hotel, close to the train station *15mins*. The room was spacious and although we had a twin room we were able to push them together. We stated at a different establishment the night before for twice the cost and I rate this hostel a lot higher. I would stay here again if we return to Helsinki.

3  Thank chris_melf
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Had stayed some time ago during my Scandinavian leg of European travel. It was very easy to reach!! Guess it took me a short tram ride from railway station which dropped me near the hostel. Best of all, their luggage storage room is rather huge to accommodate even large suitecases and they are very friendly and there's no fuss. Kitchen is well equipped and I remember making all my food everyday with minimal problem.

The place is extremely safe and comfortable, even if a little bland by some measure.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank muditkag
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The hostel is ok for that kind of price. No breakfast options though, but the staff was kind to recommend us some places where we could eat. The location is OK, walking 10-15 mins from the centre, rooms were clean.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nataly K
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Clean rooms and friendly reception. Having a small kitchen with our room was excellent as prices in Helsinki can be really expensive. If you want somewhere to stay with a convenient location for a few days then I can recommend Hostel Academica.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gemma D
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Hostel Domus Academica is centrally located, only 10-15 mins walk from the Central Railway Station (Rautatieasema), and within walking distance to several attractions (Rock Church, Natural History Museum, National Museum, just to name a few). I stayed in a 3-bed female dorm, and it was nice to find 3 normal beds rather than bunk beds for a change! The room was okay but it wasn't as clean as I would like it to be - there were crumbs on the table and the floor was a bit dusty, but they provide a broom and a dustpan so I did some cleaning myself. Each room has a kitchenette, a fridge included (which is a plus!), but not equipped with cookware nor dining ware (can be borrowed from the common kitchen, so no biggie). Breakfast is not included in the price, it costs 7 Euro. If you're on a tight budget, you can buy food from the supermarket across the street. Wifi is only available in the common room. The staff are friendly and helpful. I arrived in Helsinki early in the morning and asked if I could check in (check in time is at 3pm). Fortunately, there was an empty room available and they let me check in early!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo