“Silence hotel no traffic noise”

Cumulus Kallio Helsinki
Ranked #48 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed August 27, 2014

I and my wife stayed at Cumulus Olympia hotel work trip 26.8 – 27.8. The hotel is located in Alppila, about 3 km from the down town Helsinki.

From the outside the hotel didn’t look welcoming, but on the inside it was nice, the rooms were modern. The hotel didn’t have a restaurant of its own, but there were restaurants near the hotel.

There was a small breakfast room and the breakfast was included in the price, food was normal hotel standard breakfast. It was easy to get to places because the tram 1A and 3 goes to down town front of hotel.

Room Tip: good soundproofing, silence hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Markku O
Juha K, Manager at Cumulus Kallio Helsinki, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2014

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us . I will pass your kind words to our staff. Thanks again for staying with us. We hope to see you soon again in Cumulus Olympia
Best regards

Reviewed August 26, 2014

Das Hotel Cumulus Olympia müsste dringend renoviert werden. Frühstück war ok. The rooms are very small. Location far away from the center and a poor region. The best was the service at the reception. The hotel is in an poor come down

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
Juha K, Manager at Cumulus Kallio Helsinki, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review our property. It was nice to hear that you liked our service.
Rest assured that your comments have been noted and will be documented for our future improvements.

Best Regards,
J. Kettunen
Hotel Manager
Cumulus Olympia

Reviewed August 25, 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Manuel F

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Single room had all what I needed: decent bed, toilet, shower and Internet connection. Room was quite small but I don't understand why people need extra space. I needed room for sleeping and spending some time in the evening and for that it was just fine. Walls are quite small and I could easily hear the TV from the next room. So you better hope you won't get noisy neighbors. I didn't hear any sound from the street.

Breakfast was okay. I've seen better but you can easily eat your hunger away. Breakfast room was quite small and I can imagine it can get full if the hotel has many quests. But when I stayed there, there was always tables available.

Staff at the reception could be happier. On the other hand staff at the restaurant was happy and helpful.

Location is close to Linnanmäki and there are bus stops next to the hotel. When I went to the airport I had to make a little walk but it wasn't too much with a backpack. The downside with the location is drunken people and drug addicts which seem to wander close to hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Mika H

Dear Mika,
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you were satisfied with your stay. We hope to see you again in Cumulus Olympia.
Best Regards,
J. Kettunen
Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I can not recomment this hotel. The lifts are dangerous. I stay on the 6. floor and during the night there was so much noise comming from out side and from other guest. The breakfast was so awfull and the breakfast restaurant was so stuffy.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Hanne P
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

This hotel's saving grace is its proximity to multiple tram lines, necessary if you want to go downtown or anywhere else. Reception staff are helpful but reserved, breakfast is seriously dull and the rooms tiny (I stayed in a single, which had an additional bed on the wall above my bed - felt like I was in a train compartment). The worst aspect is the paper-thin walls. Unless you want to be woken by every footstep, slamming doors and the sound of urinating neighbours, consider staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Spuddie11
Reviewed June 6, 2014

The Cumulus Olympia is a 10 min tram trip from the city. There are three trams the pass in front of the hotel which is very convenient and there is an R kiosk on the hotel corner where you can buy a tram ticket. I bought a 6 day card which costs less than four separate day cards. The card works on all public transport including the ferry, well worth it unless you intend to buy a Helsinki card.
I was a little shocked at the size of the room when i got to the hotel. I am not sure if it is the smallest room I have ever stayed in but it must be close to in it. The reception staff were polite but not effusive.
After working out how I was going to fit my luggage and myself into the room I realised that it was fairly basic. Not bar fridge or tea/coffee making was disappointing but considering the room rate i guess not surprising. On the other hand the TV was a modern flat screen, the bed very comfortable and the furnishings quite modern. The room was immaculately clean and in good condition. The bathroom (also small) was very clean and modern.
Breakfast was fairly standard but well done with a good range of options. After a few days i was quite used to the room and was quite happy with it. After all you only spend the evenings inn the room so I guess it didn't need to be spacious. The free WiFi also worked well.
Considering that the get is 30-50 Euro cheaper than a lot of other hotels it was very good value for money. If on a budget then this is a good option.

Room Tip: See if you can find out how big your room is going to be before you get there
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo