“beautiful hotel great location”

Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna
Ranked #21 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I always stay in Vaakuna when I am in Helsinki, and I will ever do so just for the location and style. Just the food is a mess. Breakfast should be much more international hotel quality, but the restaurant at the bar floor is really not worth it. Maybe a general Helsinki problem, as good food is hard to find or overly expansive.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice review! I'm very happy to hear that you stay with us often!
I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment concerning our kitchen and I will go through your comments with our chef in order to improve our kitchen service.

Have a sunny summer and I hope to see you soon again here at Vaakuna!

There are newer reviews for Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna

Reviewed May 13, 2014

The location is just perfect if you travel by train or take the airport bus from Helsinki-Vantaa and want to stay in the heart of Helsinki. Check in was not the fastest one but fast enough for me and the front desk staff was friendly. As it's said before the elevators are really small but luckily there is more than one and didn't have to wait too long.

Had a single room. The room was big enough for one person and I even had a little balcony. Bathroom was tiny and had a bath tub. I prefer showers but the bath tub wasn't too hard to get into to take a shower. The floor was worn out as well as the furniture in the room. I wish they'll renovate the hotel soon because the hotel would be a lot better if the rooms and corridors would not be as worn out as they are now. The hotel has a lot of history and would deserve to be put back into it's glory. I did like a lot the 50's vibe that they had and all those nice furniture they had in the hotel lobby and all over the hotel. The bed was okay but pillows were not.

Breakfast was a big disappointment for me. In my opinion it was below the average that I am used to in Finland. Dishes were worn out and made me feel like they were dirty even though I could see that they were not. They didn't have enough staff and many items were finished and they were not able to replace them fast enough. You had to clean the table yourself and it took some time before the dirty dishes were taken away. Everything served at the breakfast was somewhat average except the porrige. The porridge was really good, had some taste in it unlike in many other hotels. I would have wanted more and better variety. The breakfast room has a great view if you are lucky enough to get a table by the window.

Check out was really fast.

All and all I would say that the hotel has great potential but does not quite get there. Would I recommend this hotel? Sure.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank pillow2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for Your review and Your recommendation!

I'm happy You enjoyed the location & the 50's vibe of the hotel and our friendly service! I do apologise for the quality of the breakfast - I hope to see You again here, so that we can improve Your opinion.

Have a nice summer and welcome back to Vaakuna!

Reviewed May 9, 2014

I visited Vaakuna a while back. I had a business meeting downtown and it was convenient as I came by train and left by train and did not have to use any transportation in Helsinki. The staff were great and breakfast and room fine. I also liked the atmosphere at the hotel as it's full of history. The view from the sauna department and restaurant is spectacular! I can recommend this hotel to everyone who wants to stay in the heart of Helsinki!

Room Tip: You might want to choose a room from the upper floors so there is a better view over Helsinki!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for friendly review! It was nice to hear that Your stay was successful and that You liked the atmosphere of our hotel. Welcome back to Vaakuna when next travelling to Helsinki!

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Hotel is in great place in the heart of the city. Staff was very friendly during my visit. Bath tub was little short for long man like me. You can get a 360degree bird eye view to Helsinki from top floor. There is also a restaurant there. I did manage to get really nice pink sky/golden clouds pictures from there, both dusk and dawn. Beds were cozy and pillows soft.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Dear guest,

Thank you for kind review! I'm happy to hear that Your stay was successful - hope to see You again here at Vaakuna!

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

The staff was friendly and helpful and hotel is located in the central but that's all the good things. Rooms are awfully old and hidious. Sauna apartment was dirty, there's no gym. Breakfast was very poor and serving area was small and no enough sitting places for customers.

Stayed: December 2013
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review!

I am sorry to hear that you didn't totally enjoy your stay with us. However it was great to hear that our staff has served you well and the central location of our hotel was suitable for you.

My apologies for the room having not been to your liking. We have many room types with various views of centre of Helsinki and also rooms facing the inner court and directly into the Sokos department store.

Please contact me at hilkka.jarvela@sok.fi so I can ask for a more detailed description of what you would like to have for breakfast. I also apologise for the lack of cleanliness in the sauna department. I will be sure to notify our head housekeeper about this so we can check for any possible changes needed to be done in scheduling the cleaning of sauna.

Thank you once more for your comments. I sincerely hope we will see you again at Vaakuna because I am sure we can improve your opinion of us!

Hace a great week!

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I dare to say that this hotel has one of the best locations in whole town. It is just ahead of railway station in the middle of the city. Also the airport bus has a stop few hundred meters from hotel´s door. Hotel is built for Helsinki Olympic games in 1952.

I noticed that the staff is used to serve international clients, but still I got the feeling that there was nothing special. My room was basic room, but it was big enough. I had lot´s of work to do and I could easily find space for my papers and computer.

If you like, ask for a room from upper floors, they are more peaceful and they also has nice view over Helsinki. For a View you can also visit also in Restaurant that is located in 10th floor. Even breakfast is served there. My opinion is that restaurant is little bit overrated. Food is not luxury, it is average. Actually whole hotel is average, but I believe that you can always think that you are in good hands, just do not expect too much.

Not brilliant, just ok.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice review!

I totally agree, our location is excellent with beautiful views over the city centre and I'm glad you enjoyed it! All our hotel rooms are located from 6th to the 9th floor, so the view is really good from any of the floors.

When next travelling to Helsinki we hope to see you again here in Vaakuna!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights at the beginning of a tour of Finland and Norway, following a visit to St Petersburg. The best thing about it is its position. We came in from St Petersburg by train (an excellent way to do the trip) and left by train for Rovaniemi two days later. The Sokos Vaakuna is next door to the railway station, so it was very convenient... so convenient in fact that my daughter hit the many of the design stores nearby.
The rooms are OK. They are quite deliberately dated, because there is a heritage order on the hotel, which means that they are not allowed to make major updates. The furnishings are in the style of the fifties, but even in the fifties Finnish design was superb.
The restaurant is adequate and indeed was the restaurant of choice for many locals following an important ice hockey match. Breakfast is fine, though not lavish (e.g. there is no egg chef to cook eggs/omelettes to order).
In essence, a reasonable, spotlessly clean hotel, in the right part of Helsinki.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice review! I'm glad to hear you found our design superb and our location in the centre of Helsinki served you well! Also your comment about spotlessly clean hotel warms my heart and I will let our staff know you were happy with us.

Have a nice week and welcome back to Vaakuna!