“An older hotel, in a great location”

Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna
Ranked #20 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Seabrook
“An older hotel, in a great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Date of Stay: 2014-02-27

The hotel is an older one, and in need of a bit of a refresh. The checkin staff were more than helpful, especially when I need to print something (my employment contract!).

The rooms are clean and functional, which, after 30 hours of travelling was all we needed!

The lifts are quite small, and we did struggle a bit with luggage, but we managed.

There are two breakfast options, before 6:30am which is held in the lobby. It's very very simple, but enough to get you started. After 6:30 breakfast can be taken in the restraunt on the 9th floor.

The location is why we chose this particlular hotel. RIght next to the railway stataion (we had a trip to take at 7am the next morning). The Finnair bus from the airport will drop you off at the railway station. So for us, the location was perfect.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisGWarp
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review!

I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed our friendly service and found our location excellent. Our hotel was built for the Olympic Games in 1952 and the hotel is protected by the National Board of Antiquities. Refurbishment is always done at certain periods and I'm sure the same beautiful style will be preserved in the future too.

Welcome back to Vaakuna when next visiting Helsinki and have a nice week!

Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, Helsinki

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed at Sokos Vaakuna for a night recently due to its central location. Upon check in the lady at front desk let a couple of people jump the line in front of me. She then, when it finally was my turn, continued to be quite rude which was a bit surprising and a quite bad start to our stay. Rest of staff encountered were friendlier fortunately. The elevators was another issue since they were so small that only 2 or 3 people could fit each time.

The room itself was decent enough and had a view over the Sokos mall which also is connected to the hotel. There was a flatscreen-TV, free wifi and a decent bed as well as a view over the mall.

The breakfast was not something to write home about, but was included, edible and featured for example Karelian pasties. Location is really good situated at the Railway Square and exactly where the Finnair Airport buses drops you off. And the hotel is also connected to the Sokos shopping mall from the lobby through a passage way. There is also a small door close to the elevators at the 10th floor where breakfast is served where you can go out and watch Helsinki from above. Great for pictures.

If it hadn't been for the surprisingly unfriendly check-in, Sokos Vaakuna had been fine, just not very impressive.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Pakk
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review!

It was nice to hear that you enjoyed our great views and the easy connection to department store!
I am however entirely disappointed to hear that at your check-in our staff was not friendly. It is entirely against our service policy. I would be really greatful if you would reach me at hilkka.jarvela@sok.fi so I could look into this. Also I welcome you back again, for I am sure we can improve your opinion of us!

Have a nice week and thanks again for your review!

Rovaniemi, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Room were very small but the view was nice. Staff was quite unkeen to make us feel welcome in to their hotel. Breakfast was rich and the staff in there was very kind to us. All in all, the experience would have been exellent if not for the poor welcoming from the receptionist. Now because of that it was only just nice.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, breakfast and the great views over Helsinki city centre. However, I'm really disappointed by the service you experienced at check-in. Your experience does not meet our standards and I would be grateful if you reached out to me personally at hilkka.jarvela@sok.fi with your check in date and name/ confirmation number. With this information I can go through your review with the receptionist and ensure that our service is always friendly and welcoming.

Before booking your next stay please contact me personally so I can offer you something nice for your next visit!

Seinajoki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

This hotel is my permanent abode in Helsinki, not because it is so wonderful but because it lies right next to the main railway station, as I normally travel to Helsinki by train. So I know the hotel well and it is quite adequate for my purposes.

This time the room had - judging by the design - been originally a single room and then been refitted to house two people. Thus, no reading lights for the bed, watching tv from bed awkward. These are small problems I can live with on a short stay. Previously I have been staying in other rooms, some of which have been very spacious and nice. You never know what you get, as the rooms seem to be of very different sizes.

This time - and so far only this time - the bed was so hard that in the morning my muscles ached for about thirty minutes before I could stretch them enough. My wife had the same problem. And the lampshade was broken, another first for this hotel.

All the other services were as per usual: a decent breakfast buffet, working lifts, friendly staff etc. And as we had discovered a really good price fof this stay, I guess we can say we got our money's worth.

I will stay hete in the future whenever I go to Helsinki, for the reasons mentioned earlier. But I do wish next time things will be a little bit better.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I'm happy to hear that you have stayed many times with us and plan to do so in the future too. I do apologise about the trouble you had on this last visit. If you would like to contact me directly on my e-mail hilkka.jarvela@sok.fi I would appreciate it. This way I could make sure that our maintenance will fix the problems in the room.

Wishing you a nice week and welcome back to Vaakuna when you are returning to Helsinki next time!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Great location for the station. Comfortable enough but the dinner was truly ghastly. If I had cooked pork as badly as that I would have beenembarrassedtogive it to the dog . Tough ,dry, horrid.
It wad a group meal bot no excuse for a professional chef.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I am truly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal. I will let our chef know about your feedback and I apologise that your meal did not meet our normal standards of excellent food quality. I hope your accomodation with us was otherwise nice and you had a good time here in Helsinki.

Wishing you a nice week and welcome back to Vaakuna!

Kirkland, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

The breakfast buffet was amazing (and the view from the dining room was gorgeous). I have stayed twice and both rooms were very nice, the hotel is clean and the train station is right across the street. I didn't have a car the first trip and was surprised at how easy it was to walk everywhere from this hotel. It was super convenient to have a Sokos attached for those last minute travel essentials that I completely forgot to bring - easy to pick up with a door to the store from the lobby of the hotel! Wifi was great for video chat back home. Amenities in the room were as expected. I sampled the pool and sauna and they were nice too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 269SarahT269
Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice review! It is always nice to hear that we have succeeded in making our guests happy. Sokos department store really is easy to enjoy because it is under the same roof as our hotel and the views from the hotel are superb in my opinion too! Our guest saunas are warm in the morning and evening, but I'm afraid there is no pool. I will let the front desk staff know about your warm comments about them, thank you so much!

Wishing you a nice week and hope to see you here at Vaakuna again!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

I stayed here for a week before Christmas and a week after Christmas. Fantastic rooms that are spacious and the views are great. This is my third visit to Helsinki and each time I always stay at Sokos Vaakuna - the location is fabulous, the staff are amazing, the wifi is reliable and the breakfast is fabulous. Thanks for always making my stay fantastic.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review! I am very glad to hear that you like our hotel and seem to always enjoy your stay with us!

Have a nice week and I hope to see you again here at Vaakuna when next travelling to Helsinki!