“Good value for our family stay”

Original Sokos Hotel Pasila
Ranked #41 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Turku
“Good value for our family stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed here with family after visiting Korkeasaari. The price for our stay was moderate and overall we enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The best thing was the playroom on the second floor where our kids (5 & 2 years old) really had a good time. The hotelroom was ok, but a bit worn and dirty with potato chips on the floor and dirty glasses in the minibar. The children enjoyed the fact that the room had a bathtub. The restaurant Sevilla located at the ground floor wasn´t to our satisfaction as service was very slow. We had just main courses and it took in total 1 hour 45 minutes.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
PetraRissanen, Guest Relations Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Pasila, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
First of all we would like to thank you for your feedback. All the feedback is important to us to improve our services. It would be very important to let us know during your stay if there is something in your room that does not satisfy you, so that we could make our best to fix it. I apologise a slow service in the restaurant. I will take your feedback to our restaurant manager and we will discuss about this matter.
We hope to see you as our guest again in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Finnish first
Oulu, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have stayed at Sokos Hotel Pasila (named more recently Original Sokos Hotel Pasila) at least 20 times during the past two and half years. All stays have been business / work related. The rooms are generally quite ascetic but some of them have a bath tube. Breakfast is quite typical Finnish hotel breakfast: bacon, scrambled eggs, sausages, vegeatables etc. - nothing special. I have never tried the sauna compartment. Once last spring there was one major drawback when I had a room booked to this hotel: the room was given away to another person even though it was guaranteed by a credit card. The hotel staff arranged me another room at the city center. However, no compensation of any kind was ever presented to me. To summarize: there are certainly better places to stay in Helsinki but for me the location of this hotel is perfect. However, the room rates are often rather high for some reason.

Room Tip: Consider getting the "S card" if you stay a lot in Sokos hotels. It pays itself back reall...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tero L
First of all we would like to thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your room has been given away last spring even though the booking was guaranteed by credit card. I apologise that and I hope you will still consider our hotel as an option to stay in Helsinki.
Originally from London, UK - now living in Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Well located near to the Hartwall Arena and not too far a walk away from the Linnanmäki amusement park, which we visited during our stay. We took the Linnanmäki hotel package which included 2 'free' adult wristbands for the park.

Reception staff were really pleasant and informative. The room was well furnished and comfortable. Cannot quibble about anything in the room really. They gave us a family room though our 5 year old son usually prefers to jump in with us during hotel trips and just as well the bed was nice and large for us three to fit. Very comfortable night's sleep too.

Breakfast was OK though we didn't realise till we went through the mayhem of queuing, trying to find somewhere to sit and eat, with our bodies pumped full of adrenalin, that the hotel have notices in a few areas of their restaurant that the last hour of breakfast (so 09:00-10:00am) is their busiest period. So can't complain about this aspect really apart from to say "holy mo" to the chaos!! They served the usual breakfast fayre, typical for Finland, and perfectly adequate. Gluten free and lactose free options, too. They have a kids room just along from the breakfast dining area, which my son did not fail to spot on our way out, so we spent a good hour here before going back to our room to pack our things. It was a nice facility to use and for those supervising their kids could the free hotel wifi whilst the kids amuse themselves.

We did not like the Sevilla restaurant, located on the hotel's ground floor but I have given a separate review for this and does not reflect on my opinion of the hotel itself.

Would choose this hotel again if we needed to stay in the Pasila area. Recommend to others, too!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind feedback regarding our hotel. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. During the summer season we have this opportunity to offer a nice playground for the children.

We hope to see you as our guest in a near future!
Tampere, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Located next to Hartwall Arena. Good transport connections to Helsinki city.
Quite same prices than the hotels at the city, should be less expencive! Breakfast ok, not great but there is a good range of foods available - gluten free bread also.

Ok hotel, quite average.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RNum
PetraRissanen, Guest Relations Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Pasila, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and taking your time to write this review.
We hope to see you as our guest in a near future again.
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

It's probably the best choice if you're going to attend any events at Hartwaal Areena which locates just about 7-10 mins away (walking). Very quiet place at evenings and Sundays. For those who have no problems using public transport - there's tram stop about 5 meters away from the hotel, which is bad, on other hand, if you stay on 3rd or 4th floor, 'cause sounds of trams stopping and running are pretty audible.

A little bit far away from the center of Helsinki - 8-10 tram stops, or 35-40 mins by walking. Nice huge park near the hotel. Parking doesn't belong to the hotel, so you gotta pay it aside of the hotel bill. Had no any problems with room service, breakfasts are okay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side opposite to tram line.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
PetraRissanen, Guest Relations Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Pasila, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you so much for taking your time to write this review.
Next time please do not hesitate to ask for a room another side of the hotel, not facing to tram line. Luckily trams are not running thru whole night.

We hope to see you as our guest in a near future again!
Turku, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

Generally an average and clean hotel with good connections to the city center. It is located in a quiet area just 200 meter walks from Pasila railway station, which is near Helsinki exhibition & convention centre and Hartwall arena, and about 4 km from the center of Helsinki. You can reach everywhere easily with bus, train or tram. Tram 7B to the city centre stop in front of hotel.
Cosy rooms, good service and a very rich and good breakfast. Good value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
PetraRissanen, Guest Relations Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Pasila, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you so much for taking your time to write this review. We hope to see you as our guest in a near future again.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have stayed here a lot in the last couple of months as I am in Helsinki on business.
Generally a nice hotel, in a good location, with friendly staff, free wifi is good, couple of things let the place down:

the bathrooms in some rooms are a bit tired, and could do with some work to make them look new;

the restaurant service can be very slow (friendly, but slow);

the selection at breakfast is disappointing;

a couple of times my room has been forgotten and has not been cleaned during the day - the first time I complained, the second time I just lived with it;

finally and most recently (today), when I asked for a kettle for my room, as I needed boiling water (I didn't want any coffee or tea, just hot water) I was told it would be 20euro a night, as that was only given to superior rooms - when I said that was a bit expensive simply for the use of a kettle I was told I could get hot drinks from the bar - and no amount of explaining could get across the idea that I didn't want a hot drink, just hot water (I'm going out to buy a kettle tomorrow for my room).

I would add that I was once upgraded to a superior room and the only difference I could see between a superior room and a normal room is the presence of a kettle and a trouser press... the rooms are exactly the same otherwise.

Sort out the bathrooms, the cleaning, and the kettles and I would give this hotel a 4 out of 5.

Room Tip: Don't bother booking a superior room unless you must have a kettle and a trouser press
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business