“Sokos Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 63 Hotels in Helsinki
London, United Kingdom
“Sokos Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have stayed here a lot in the last couple of months as I am in Helsinki on business.
Generally a nice hotel, in a good location, with friendly staff, free wifi is good, couple of things let the place down:

the bathrooms in some rooms are a bit tired, and could do with some work to make them look new;

the restaurant service can be very slow (friendly, but slow);

the selection at breakfast is disappointing;

a couple of times my room has been forgotten and has not been cleaned during the day - the first time I complained, the second time I just lived with it;

finally and most recently (today), when I asked for a kettle for my room, as I needed boiling water (I didn't want any coffee or tea, just hot water) I was told it would be 20euro a night, as that was only given to superior rooms - when I said that was a bit expensive simply for the use of a kettle I was told I could get hot drinks from the bar - and no amount of explaining could get across the idea that I didn't want a hot drink, just hot water (I'm going out to buy a kettle tomorrow for my room).

I would add that I was once upgraded to a superior room and the only difference I could see between a superior room and a normal room is the presence of a kettle and a trouser press... the rooms are exactly the same otherwise.

Sort out the bathrooms, the cleaning, and the kettles and I would give this hotel a 4 out of 5.

Room Tip: Don't bother booking a superior room unless you must have a kettle and a trouser press
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Finnish first
Hella
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights at Sokos Hotel Pasila on a busness trip. We were pleased with our room, plenty of space, very clean and comfortable. The only minus was the absence of a water boiler and instant coffee... Apart from that all was perfect, good breakfast, the restaurant is also good and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is also good, easy to thake the trolley downtown. I can recommend this hotel !

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view... ours was overlooking some pipes and similar...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PetraRissanen, Guest Relations Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Pasila, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for your time to write this feedback. We hope to see you again in a near future!
Tampere
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I was in Helsinki for a business trip couple of nights and choose Sokos Hotel Pasila due its location near railway station. During my stay it was also very easy to take a trolley opposite to the hotel to the city centrum.

My room was clean, spacious and had everything needed. The staff was helpful in the reception. Breakfast was good; very typical what you can expect from Finnish hotels. Albeit the trolley line was opposite the hotel, there was not coming too much noise that interfered my sleep.

Only complaints come from Sevilla restaurant which was pretty crowded during the evening time (around 19). Nevertheless, I found myself a table and after waiting for a while I waived for two different waitress who certainly noticed me, but never come back to serve me. After waiting for some 20 minutes without no service whatsoever I took off, got myself a jacket, and went outside to another restaurant for a dinner.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Newly renovated hotel. Location is not right in a busy center, but is still easily reached. Just a avarage hotel, but I really don´t have much to complain. I heard my noisy neighbor at night but that´s how it is with noisy neighbors at any hotel especially at weekends. Breakfast and cleanliness are the things that makes this hotel worth my "very good" rating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PetraRissanen, Guest Relations Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Pasila, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write this review. Sorry about the noisy neighbours. Next time please do not hesitate to contact reception about noise, so that we can do our best to calm down the neighbours.
Hopefully we will see you again in a near future!
Sfax
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

I had been to this place last month for a business meeting. I found this place better for spending time with family and friends. Location is good, as most of the popular places of the city like Finlandia Hall and National Museum are just few miles away. Bar/lounge and restaurant were available in the hotel. Rooms were neat and clean, services were good, staff is efficient, friendly and great at their work. Laundry facilities were available at cheaper prices. I am planning a party at Sokos Hotel Pasila with my friends and family in the coming month.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PetraRissanen, Guest Relations Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Pasila, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind feedback regarding the Sokos Hotel Pasila. I hope we can arrange everything you need for a succesful party with your friends and family. Warmly welcome again!
Inkoo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed here for a total of 35 nights. The staff were very friendly and helped me with anything I needed. They were often busy but worked hard and always smiled. The rooms were ok, clean, normal rooms with tv. One night someone had a party and after laying awake for 2 hrs I called the reception which promised to take care of it which they did not.

The breakfast was the standard Sokos hotel breakfast which I don´t like. Very little fresh fruits, ecological products like cheeses, ham etc cannot be found. This was the only thing I found disappointing. Also exactly the same every morning.

The best thing with this hotel was the sauna and gym. Both fresh and nice. Also the location is very good. A nice stroll to the city center along the tölö-lake or the pram which stops outside the hotel.

Parking was good.

Sevilla restaurant was quite bad. I ate almost everything they have on the menu but all was quiet poor. French fries with every dish is not something I expect at a hotelrestaurant. Also service was poor except for one young guy who took care of most of the customers when the older ladies did not do much. So go out for dinner.

After all a very ok hotel with good location if you do not desire to be right in the city center.

Room Tip: I tried almost every level since I had a new room every week. They were all equal. I also had their...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking your time to write this review and thank you very much for your feedback. It is very helpful to hear your opinion of our hotel to improve our service.
We hope to see you as our guest again in the near future!
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Being few times in Helsinki for business needs I had a stay at this hotel due to the nearest location with the office in question. You are sleeping well in waste comfortable bed in a clean, fresh and very quite atmosphere. The breakfast is typically Finnish and the evening dinner in Sevilla restaurant downstairs is very attractive from the point of view of taste and price level. Also there is a nice atmosphere in the restaurant. The tram stops near the hotel and it takes you just 10-15 minutes to reach the Helsinki downtown as well as numerous buses and railstation not far from the hotel. Best regards grr47

Room Tip: Had the experience with rooms 302 and 303. These are quite ones.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your kind feedback. We hope to see you as our guest again in the near future.