1,813 results
All reviewssmart roomdesign districtkey cardnice hotelmain buildingart nouveaubigger roomcity centrereception areagreat showercomfort roomcold meatsbed was very comfortablebreakfast is servedporridgemain attractionsbreakfast was excellent
997 - 1,002 of 1,813 reviews
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Out of all my trips in Europe I have to say Scandinavia was the most expensive one in terms of hotels. Helsinki was no exception. It was difficult to get a hotel that meets my standards for less than 200 USD. I first booked this through booking.com and then I found a rate that is $30 less per night through aa.com so I grabbed it. We had a standard room.

From Vantaa airport we took the finair bus to the central station. We took the tram and walked a few blocks to the hotel. We could have skipped the tram coz it really is walking distance from the central station if you are fit and active individuals with not a lot of luggage. My boyfriend dragged our 50 lb luggage while I had the carry on and we strolled through the streets just fine. If you take a cab it will be 5 mins away. Im always looking for ways to save and walking has saved us a lot and you discover a lot of things when you walk.

When we arrived at the hotel around 1ish and we were welcomed by a friendly and helpful employee who helped me find the quiet room that I requested. It was room 604. From the outside and the lobby of the hotel it reminds me of a medieval palace with modern furnishings. The lobby gives the impression that the hotel is not that big but in fact it is. It took us 5 mins to get from the lobby to our room. There's a driveway that separates the lobby and then we had to walk through a long hallway, take the elevator and then walk through another hallway and then take an elevator one floor up to the 6th floor, it seems to be in another wing of the building. This really didnt bother us at all because we were on the top floor towards the end and it was really quiet.

The room was modern and well designed. Its compact but still comfortable. If you are used to American hotel rooms that are huge and spacious then you might not like it but I prefer quality and functionality rather than size. The room was just right for 2 people I dont think you could squeeze a third person there. Its not that small, it is cozy. The room had hardwood floors and the bed was really awesome. It had a remote where you can adjust either side to incline either the top or the bottom half, I really liked the bed. You have small work desk, a TV hanging, a small closet space and that's all you really need. The bathroom is another story. It is smaller than most bathrooms you will see, you cant fit 2 people in there at once. You can turn on the sink faucet while sitting on the toilet. There not a lot of space for my stuff to go on the sink but it had some shelves above the toilet. The bathroom was not great but it wasnt that awful, the toilet area is divided by a glass door from the shower, if your a big guy, you might hit the shower walls if you like to move around in the shower. For petite size people, you will be fine. All I cared about is that the water pressure is great and the temperature was perfect. Cleanliness is of prime importance and this room does not disappoint so I was quite happy with the simple modern compact yet comfortable accommodation. What disappointed me are the following
- no full length mirror
- NO HANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!
- no mini fridge - we usually buy yogurt which we store in the fridge, you can always store it from the front desk but geez thats so inconvenient.
- no clocks (this seems common in scandinavia hotels???)
- NO TISSUE/kleenex, I had to use toilet paper instead.

there is really no view from the room, just the rooftops. The building across is so close that you can see whats going on and im sure they can see whats going on in your room. So close those curtains if you want privacy. I had the best sleep in this hotel, no noise, no interruptions, no earplugs, I was more than happy. This room is for light sleepers like me. Im not sure what it would be like if we were not on the top floor since the hotel room had hardwood floors, i wonder how good the floor soundproofing is.

There is nothing much to say about service, its good friendly service which is more often than not very helpful. There is only one computer by the lobby and whenever we need it, we were always able to use it. The hotel has bikes that you can use for free as well and we used it on our last day, we should have used from day 1. Biking is a good way to explore Helsinki especially if the weather permits. Helsinki is bike friendly without being overwhelming. Its not that super crowded like Vienna, cities in Italy, etc where there's hundreds of bikers. We covered a lot of ground in a single day using the bikes. I recommend it.

We realized we are not into finnish food at all so we decided to try other cuisines. a block away from the hotel is antipur which serves nepalese cuisine, it wasnt that pretty from the outside but the food was very good considering we are nepalese virgins. You always leave a restaurant feeling that you paid so much and didn't feel well fed. It was the exact opposite here. We also tried Kitch which is more of a casual dining restaurant, they serve the best burgers in the area believe it or not

The location of this hotel is really good, its in a quiet residential street but just a few blocks from the action. We were able to walk from this hotel to a lot of sites. Im sure there are other hotels with better locations but I like hotels that are not in the smack middle of all the action and noise but more tucked in behind the action but its still just a walk away.

The breakfast was just ok, not that good not that bad. Ok selection, ok quality, You have to pay extra for omelet or scrambled eggs, That was quite a turn off but I can live with it.

No complaints in this hotel coz the good attributes overshine the not so good one. I totally recommend this place and if ever im back, i would stay here again if I get the right price.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The hotel has been refurbished in early 2012.
The rooms are spacious and nice, breakfast good, restaurant in the basement serves good food.
It takes approx. 56 minutes walking to central Helsinki.
But, taxi ride from/to airport can be quite expensive (more than 40 euros). Better option is to use Finnair airport bus, which takes you to the central bus station, from there it will take less than 10 minutes of walking or a short (much cheaper) taxi ride...
All in all: a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2012

GLO Hotel Art is located in the so called Design District of Helsinki. All around there are lots of interesting shops for modern interior design and lightning, art galleries and restaurants for every taste and purse. The city center is only 500 meters away and almost every sight is in walking distance. For us, GLO Hotel Art was the best starting point to discover the World Design City 2012.

The hotel lobby, the bar and the breakfast room are set in an art deco building from early 20th century. The hotel rooms are situated in two newer buildings next to and behind the historic main building. Our room was on the fifth floor in the complex next to the main building. It was equipped with warm and modern furnitures and a very stylish bathroom. The room was bright and friendly, various lamps allowed to illuminate it individually and atmospheric. The bed was absolute perfect, we had enough storage space and there was an ironing board and an iron in the wardrobe - equipment we often miss even in much more expensive 5 star hotels.

What we missed is refrigerator on the room. Breakfast was "ok" - but not outstanding. Everything was fresh and delicious, but only one cold meat and one cheese, no herring and no smoked salmon is a little bit poor for a hotel of superior category like GLO Hotel Art.

The staff at GLO Hotel Art is very friendly and helpful. We would choose this hotel again.

The staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: The rooms on higher floors and street view are the best.
Reviewed June 23, 2012

The hotel is set in an old art deco castle. I loved the old building and the fact they had retained so much orginal character while still having a modern hotel complex. We stayed in the new part of the hotel and really enjoyed it. The rooms are a little small but fully functional. There is no storage space to unpack at all which would be the one misgiving. However there was enough room on the floors to store and open our massive bags (on a five week trip).

The bed was very comfortable and the rooms warm. You did have to pass through a lot of doors with the key cards but that didn't worry us at all. The bathroom was quite good with a very large shower with good water pressure. However our shower wasn't draining properly and so leaked under the door which is all the same level as the bathroom floor, wetting everything. We told reception about this and they said they would get it fixed but the situation wasn't vastly improved the next day but we had learnt not to leave anything on the bathroom floor by then. Also our shower had a glass wall which backed onto the main part of the room so there is no privacy showering at all. Don't share a room with someone you're not comfortable being naked in front of. There is privacy for the toilet though but maybe not noise-wise, just visually. This didn't bother us at all.

The location of the hotel is a little out of the way. It's only 700 metres to the main street but there and back is nearly a kilometre and a half so it's not so practical to pop back to the hotel to drop stuff off or pick something up. We ended up doing a lot of walking around Helsinki, which is not such a bad thing, but it does take it's toll. It is in the design district but not really close to anything much except the flea markets just down the road, which are worth a quick look.

The breakfast is held in the basement and is quite good. All the food is lovely and fresh and there's plenty of it. Not a huge range but really nice fresh bread and croissants, lovely jams which look handmade, good porridge, noodles with duck breast???, cheese and salami styled meat, cereals, juices, coffee and tea. I really couldn't get enough of those breads though. Really very good.

There was also free wifi which worked with no problems at all. The reception staff were also very friendly and helpful and got us a cab quickly and easily and answered all our questions happily.

I would have no hesitation staying there again however would also think about a slightly better located hotel. For the money however, it was very good value for the standard of accomodation and breakfast.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

SImilar frustrations to many other reviewers it seems: Very interesting building, pleasant rooms, but the passageways and rooms are quite cramped. The room is just begin enough to be "ok", but that's it. The decor is upmarket and modern, but why in such small and dark spaces has the designer chosen such dark colors? I guess it's in keeping with the building itself which has the feel of a mansion or small castle, but boy it makes it feel quite dark and oppressive.

The dining area for breakfast is thankfully a good deal brighter and shows it's possible to liven things up when they want.

Overall I felt that it's got a good location and it's easy to walk to the central attractions and shops in the area it may not be the best value. If you are on a long trip and have a few bags simply getting to your room with them will be tricky - if anyone comes the other way someone will need to breathe in for you to pass....

Room Tip: Plenty of decent restaurants within a few minutes walk