“Good choice for a central Helsinki hotel”

Hotel Seurahuone Helsinki
Ranked #39 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed November 19, 2012

There is no shortage of hotels in Helsinki, and anything will be efficiently run, clean and triple-glazed. But there is a lot of pretty characterless stuff out there, which is why the Seurahuone is worth considering if you like a bit of style and character.

The hotel was used in the early 20th century as a meeting place for musicians and academics. The public rooms, especially the restaurant and bar areas, reflect that with lovely arty characteristics and design. The hotel is brilliantly located in the centre of town, two minutes from the station (with its buses to the airport), although there is of course no noise from the traffic outside! The welcome was excellent and my room (a so-called club room) really pleasant and interestingly shaped, on a curve, with lovely windows.

Room facilities are what you would expect, wifi is free but of varying strength, and there is a free ADSL connection point too. Breakfast, included, meets normal Helsinki standards,ie a wide choice of food but warm tea and tasteless fruit salad, machine-produced 'fruit' juice and odd-looking scrambled egg- but I have encountered this in at least six other Helsinki hotels, so it seems to be endemic.

If you want modern steel and glass and contemporary design, the Seurahuone is not for you, but otherwise I warmly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Excellent hotel bang in the middle of Helsinki's busy bits. Olde worlde charm with all mod cons. Hustle and bustle outside but quiet on the inside. Very good food and service. Good views out over the Art Deco train terminus (worth a visit in itself). Cold outside but hotel always warm. Ideal place to stay if you want to be near the city centre and the astonishing range of quality shops. We went to Helsinki to see Benny and Bjorn's musical 'Kristina', but now we're hoping to go back and explore the country more. Hotel has a wonderful domed-skylight roof bar where you sit while the staff order and bring you your drinks. Great few days!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the train terminus
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Christopher G
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The Hotel Seurahoune is ideal for anyone using the trains as it is opposite the station. Also good if you arrive by plane as the Finnair airport bus stops at the railway station and the hotel is visible when you leave the bus. An interesting old hotel with lots of character and with very friendly and helpful staff. The breakfast buffet was good. Our room no 314 at the front was very comfortable and quiet. No air con could be a problem in the warmer weather.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue S
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Situated right in the middle of Helsinki and very close to the railway station. Large spacious rooms and very clean. Average breakfast buffet.

Since my wife is in a wheelchair we asked for a wheelchair friendly room which they didn't have.
As we didn't book this hotel by ourselves we had to take what they had. We got upgraded to a larger room (thank you!) but still there was a 8 cm high threshold to the bathroom. At least this was much better than the 12 cm one in the first room we got.
At the breakfast buffet there are two major problems for wheelchair users. First you have to climb a 6 step stairway and then the buffet is located one step down from the dining hall.

Wheelchair users are not recommended to book this hotel!

The staff was very friendly but for us Swedes it's hard to know if they can speak swedish or not. =)

Room Tip: Their largest rooms have a jacuzzi!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Midander
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

This lovely old hotel may not be for everyone but if you like historic places then there is no better. It is centrally located - spitting distance from the railway station. The rooms are small and fully functional with coffee, tea and bar fridge. There isn't any A/C and we used the fan and left the window open a but and is was really comfortable. This may be a problem in summer and has been covered here in depth by previous reviews. Our room was on the 3rd floor and we didn't have any club or road noise at all.
The hotel bar is pretty good and the bar man we had made us some pretty amazing drinks.
We had some minor issues with the free wired Internet and we were provided wifi, which is usually pay for use, until it was fixed.
Overall, this is an old hotel with all the charm.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 12, 2012

The location of the hotel could not be more central. Like said here earlier, hotel is quite datet, but has nice old charm.
My biggest complaints come from the noise, that wake me at 01 am. I stayed at the third floor. After a long working day I was exhausted, and the next day even more, since the beat from the next door nightclub kept me awake.
I called to reception, where they told me that the music will go on till 3.30 am. They were really sorry and promised to call to club and ask if they could turn the base down. I don't know if they did. The lady n the reception asked if I'm staying more than one night - guess I could have changed the room if I stayed longer, but I didn't.
The room was spacious, but had no AC. They have a pillow menu, and you can ask for a different kind of pillow from reception. I came to my room so late I didn't bother, which I later regretted since the two pillows in the room were really hard. But this was my mistake.
In the morning I had to call to the reception because there were electricity problems in my bathroom so that I could not use the hair dryer. The new one was brought really fast.
There is no sauna in the hotel. If I stayed on my leisure time I'd miss it, but this time I didn't have time to use it anyway.
Breakfast was ok, nothing to complain, but nothing to give special thanks either. Bar of the hotel is expensive - at least in my opinion nearly 12 euros is a killer price of a drink.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is safe from the nightclub noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Elina S
Vehmas, Manager at Hotel Seurahuone Helsinki, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Dear Elina S. Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience at the Hotel Seurahuone Helsinki. We would like to apologize that we failed to offer you a peaceful sleeping experience. All comments received from our guests are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

We have agreed a level of decibels that the club may not exceed. We have notified them about the incident and asked them to keep better control of their music level in order to ensure a good night sleep at the rooms close to the club.

I'm very pleased you liked generally our hotel. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Yours sincerely
Timo Vehmas
Brand Manager

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Nice-looking hotel with old-fashioned, but comfortable furniture - chairs in rooms and in restaurant are very good. Breakfast - also good. But - no air-condition (in summer it could be terrible, because, the windows are looking on the busiest corner of the city), no- sauna, no- gym. Only funny signs on some doors, like "Telephone" are very nice. By stying you've the feeling to be in middle of 1930 :). Coffee for breakfast was outstanding good! The assortment for breakfast - not outstanding, but very reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business