“An excellent choice”

Scandic Simonkentta
Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I've stayed twice in Scandic Simonkentta while in the city of Helsinki for short business trips and would definitely stay there again.

I had to work for several hours in my room and I especially enjoyed its cosiness. The room was nicely arranged, the bed was comfortable, the lighting was well-thought and the desk spacious for those who need it. The bathroom is my only complaint, as apparently you don't get a bathtub if you book a standard room. Instead, you have to settle for a shower that will basically flood the bathroom's floor, so things can get a bit messy.

The breakfast buffet is very generous and I could have literally spent hours just sipping coffee while enjoying the Kampii square view from my table.

The hotel restaurant is fairly priced and serves both simple and more imaginative dishes (tip: try the grilled chicken!). I would highly recommend at least one visit while you're in the city, even if you don't stay in this hotel.

Pros:
- Excellent location right in the center of the city. Just a five minute walk from the central station where the airport bus drops you off.
- Cosy rooms, with plenty of desk space to work if you have to.
- Professional staff, helpful and speedy service.
- Excellent and fairly priced hotel restaurant.
- A complete breakfast buffet.
- Free WiFi
- 24 hour shop for coffee, snacks, drinks in case you get any late night munchies

Cons:
- The bathroom could be better
- No mini bar (at least not in my case), no tea/coffee facilities in the room.
- Anti-theft cloth hangers! Are they serious? What's next? Kensignton locks on towels?

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank M K
There are newer reviews for Scandic Simonkentta

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Excellent location - very close to centre and postioned on top of underground bus station & metro if needed. Car parking availalble in very large public underground carpark - 50% discount on weekends when you stay in hotel (cost 15 euros instead of 30 for overnight stay) - Tip make sure you note the number of your parking space when you park! We booked a standard room & requested a double bed - which we had - the room and bathroom were clean, comfortable and a reasonable size, couple of negatives points as others have commented on in earlier posts, the room was a little on the cold side despite altering the heating settings and also the shower gel dipsenser was empty (too late to report this to reception as already in the shower when discovered!). The hotel is eco friendly so don't expect lots of little toiletries - there are 2 dispensers on the bathroom wall, 1 for hand soap & 1 for shower gel/ shampoo. Staff all very helpful, especially the lady in the breakfast room who personally showed me all the food that was labelled gluten free & got me gluten free bread from the kitchen, Good choice of buffet style breakfast and excellent choice of gluten free food. Breakfast room very clean and tables cleared promptly by staff. Would return and recomend due to price and location.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fin15
Reviewed May 20, 2012

As Im travelling a lot as part of my jobs I get to see a lot of hotels - this is below standard. The location and rooms are ok - but there were no minibar and no free water in the room, which I learned later was because Im not part of Scandics loyalty program. My room was silent - which is a Big plus. The breakfast is lousy - the typical bacon, sausage and egg - but scramble eggs done in an oven, sausages from a can and bacon lying in fat. My suggestion, go for another hotel - plenty to choose from.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank MortenOlesen
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Location, location, location… Also breakfast is good; the ‘typical’ Scandic style with the scrambled eggs, sausages and Carelian pastries.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Location: Walking distance to the central station. There is also a tram stop right out front of the hotel. We found the tram very convenient (especially tram 3) as could travel to the main tourist sites which we were interested in. One tram stop away from the central station for people who do not want to walk. From the lobby, we could also take the lift into the shopping centre. In the shopping centre, there is a supermarket, and an entrance to a train station.

Room: By this time, we had gotten used to how small the rooms are in Scandinavia. So we found this room to be bigger in comparison. Free wifi worked fine. Beds were comfortable to sleep in and bathroom was also a reasonable size.

Breakfast: There was limited range compared to the other Scandinavian hotels we had stayed in. However, still get the basics, i.e. juice, cereal, breads, hot food, fruit. No issue with the quality of the food. There was one day where we caught the ferry to Tallinn so had to the leave the hotel before breakfast buffet opened. We asked and were allowed to get food from the store at the front of the reception for free. We each took a sandwich, piece of fruit, muffin, and a juice.

Service: We asked from recommendations on where to eat local food. The staff were willing to help and provided instructions on how to get there. We tried 3 of the places they recommended, and I thought that only one was worth going to. My advice is to do own research after getting recommendation from staff. No issue with the service that the staff provided.

Overall, I would recommend staying due to the location.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank InHere
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I usually choose Scandic because of good breakfast buffet but this time I was bit disappointed as the selection of items was not as good as previously. In addition there were not enough staff at breakfast as many tables were full of dirty plates waiting to be carried away. In addition we had to ask them to refill the bread baskets few times.

It seems that their breakfast buffet is not what it used to be. Unfortunately it seemed that also the quality of service in hotel's restaurant has gone down since our last visit. Previously they happily created vegetarian meals outside of the list but this time the service was almost rude and the salad which I get was very small compared to price (even by Finnish standards).

Another complaint is that the hotel room felt a bit cold and we just couldn't get it to warm up.

On the positive side the location is very good: near the railway station, practically on top of the main bus station and in the very center of Helsinki.

Even though I'm devoted Scandic fan I'll steer away from this hotel on my next visit to Helsinki.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2012

You cant make something wrong with this hotel - rooms are a bit small but all the rest is high standard

Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business