“Helsinki Hilton”

Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at the Helsinki Hilton for 4 days in February 2013 and had a wonderful stay. The hotel is very nice and is easily accessible to downtown Helsinki via tram or cab. The staff was outstanding and helpful. The restaurant was very good and featured local cuisine. The bar was very nice as well. ASk for Harry at the bar. If you are coming to Helsinki, I recommend this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the bayside of the hotel. It has amazing views of the bay.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
DanielaOhman, Sales and Marketing Co-ordinator at Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your stay with us and for taking the time to write a review!

I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable time with us. Our team members will be very happy to hear your comments as well, Harri will be grateful for the special mention. Great to hear the selection at the restaurant was good as well, we always appreciate your comments in order to be able to best serve our guests.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will be back soon!

Daniela Öhmn

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I love this place - have stayed on numerous occasions and really like the atmosphere. It's something about the 60s/70s architecture, the peaceful views, the quality of the service, the general air of calm efficiency and the modernist vibe. It's been the home of some key summits and state dinners and you can feel some of that in the atmosphere too - especially if you walk the underground tunnel between the main hotel and the seaside building - very James Bond. The restaurant is great/ the saunas and pool are fun; you get a peaceful night's sleep and then you can just nip round the corner, hop on a tram and be in the centre of Helsinki in 15 - 20 mins.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review about your stay!

We are very grateful for your lovely comments and the fact that you have been back on several occasions. The history certainly makes the hotel interesing and I am pleased to hear that you enjoy the atmosphere that it creates at the hotel. Thank you also for your kind comments about the service, these are always especially nice to hear.

Thank you for your continued stays with us and we look forward to having you back yet again!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a few times now, but have never got round to writing a review until now. It deserves one, so here goes...

I actually grew up in the area, around a 5 minute walk away from the hotel so I know the area pretty well, although I left 20 years ago...

The location is peaceful and beautiful. You're right by the sea and have a private beach available or you can use the public beach. There's another beach with a lifeguard (seasonal) and changing rooms about a 5 minutes' walk away along the sea.

Be sure to ask for a sea view. I always ask for a room on the upper floor with a balcony, as you have a nice view and though although not right by the sea, you have the luxury of a terrace. I've heard that you can't open the windows in the rooms right by the sea, so at least if you have a terrace, you can get some air in.

The rooms are immaculate although the last time I stayed there, the cleaning wasn't up to scratch for some reason. The floors weren't cleaned every day and I had to ask for clean towels. You've got loads of storage space in the rooms so can put all your staff away neatly.

The glasses don't always get changed either, but that's a minor point in my view.

The beds, pillows and duvets are really comfy.

The sauna and pool (small) are lovely, with direct access to the beach. The last time I stayed, I was a bit annoyed as the womens' sauna was closed although it wasn't supposed to be and I had to get someone to come and open it for us ladies who were waiting to get in.

I tried room service once, which wasn't great. In fact, I had to send it back as the meat wasn't properly cooked.

I also ate at the restaurant but it wasn't that great quality-wise, though the view was fabulous.

You've got tennis courts right next to the hotel and you can hire bikes.

The service at the hotel is excellent, especially at breakfast.
The breakfast itself is probably the best I've ever had at a hotel. What strikes me most each time, is the breakfast service. It's never under-staffed.

Be sure to take a walk or take a bike ride to Seurasaari, the little islet with an open-air museum. It's worth stopping for a snack or lunch at the cafe. There's a nudist beach there too, if that tickles your fancy.

You've got wifi available in the hall and bar area.

You can take the tram to the city centre which takes around 25 minutes. There are also buses that stop nearby.

Food-wise, there aren't many restaurants nearby which is a bit of a bummer. The Cafe Torpanranta which is about a 3 minute walk from the hotel, by the sea, is really nice but the choice of food is rather limited; soups and salads. The salads are delicious by the way. You've also got supermarkets nearby.

My review is based on summertime stays. It's a different ballgame in the winter ;)!

I love this hotel and the area and yes, I may be nostalgic as it's where I lived as a child/youngster but you know; other people who have been there with me, have loved it just as much and all want to return!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lovefoodlovetravel75
DanielaOhman, Sales and Marketing Co-ordinator at Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experiences with us!

I was very happy to hear that for the most part your stays have been succesful and enjoyable. Summer time is indeed lovely as the hotel is by the sea with green surroundings. Thank you also for your comments about the food, both room service and the restuarant, and the trouble you encountered with the sauna. The locks on the door to the sauna is automatically activated according to the opening hours so I feel confident that your unfortunate experience was an exception. Nevertheless I appreciate that you have brought this to our attention. Cleaning of the room should of course always be immculate, and I am very sorry to hear this was not up to our normal standards.

Thank you for your continued business with us and we hope you will be back again next summer, if not sooner!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

First stay at this property. Ask for a room in the "sea Wing" as the room will sit facing a bay of the Baltic. There is a tunnel between all the buildings for connecting without braving the elements. Rooms were large, modern, and accommodating (pictures attached). A handful of restaurants to choose from. Be sure to book a private sauna - they come fully equipped (there are non private, gender specific as well). Indoor pool located with a sea view as well.

The bay was frozen over this time of year but was active with skiers, skaters, and wind skiers. Great to watch from the window during breakfast.

Reasonable rates. About 20 minutes from center city by taxi. Only a block away from the public tram.

I will stay here again next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the "sea Wing" as the room will sit facing a bay of the Baltic. 5th flo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
DanielaOhman, Sales and Marketing Co-ordiantor at Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us!

It was a pleasure to read your comments and I am glad your stay was an enjoyable one. It is indeed an activity in itself to watch what is going on on the ice in front of the hotel, for example if the ice is thick enough the city actually paves an ice skating route for people to enjoy.

Thank you for staying with us and for your lovely comments, we hope you will be back soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed January 31, 2013

What a great experience we had at this hotel. Very upscale, very posh, very good, and very reasonably priced for the luxury. Great service and very high quality.

Helsinki, Finland is a great place to begin with and this hilton really tops is off. My wife and son were there for a few days and we immensely enjoyed it. The restaurant is okay, SPA is great but the Hotel itself is awesome.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

I very much enjoyed reading your comments about your stay, what a pleasure to hear you and your family had such a good time with us. Thank you especially for your comments regarding our staff, it is very motivating for them to read. We welcome all feeback from our guests and appreciate that you have taken the time to write a review.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will stay with us again when visiting Finland next time!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed for one night on a "new parents sleep retreat." Thus we wanted peace, good food, sleep and a bath tub! We got all we asked for, and more! :) Plus you've just gotta love the old 007-style lobby!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments!

I am indeed happy to hear our hotel was able to offer a relaxing stay for you and your husband. We all need it sometimes and I am glad to hear your expectations were met.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times for a specific meeting on site. It's perfect for that. Nice and secluded, but still with all the services of a fine hotel.

Couple of notes
- Equally close to Helsinki and Espoo center (many companies have offices in both)
- Proven Hilton quality with a nice restaurant
- The large park with long coast is the best thing about this hotel. If you like long walks or running, this is the best hotel choise in Helsinki
- The rooms are quite modest, but always clean and the service gets the job done.
- Only downside is the distance to city center. Helsinki is city wher you can walk almost everywhere and Kalastajatorppa is quite a bit from the center.
- Kalastatorppa has the one of the largest hotel conference facilities in the the city and a good catering service proven by regular wedding receptions

Room Tip: If you're a Hilton Honnors member they'll locate you on the sea view side. Good view!
Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments here on TripAdvisor!

I am very pleased to hear that the hotel and surroundings have catered for your needs while staying in Helsinki. We are indeed fortunate to be located by the sea in a green area, like you said, it is great for people who enjoy nature. The location is a few kilometres from the city center but I hope our staff have made you aware of the tram connection which is inexpensive and convenient.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forwards to having you stay with us again!

Your sincerely,