“Love it!”

Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Brussels, Belgium
“Love it!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a few times now, but have never got round to writing a review until now. It deserves one, so here goes...

I actually grew up in the area, around a 5 minute walk away from the hotel so I know the area pretty well, although I left 20 years ago...

The location is peaceful and beautiful. You're right by the sea and have a private beach available or you can use the public beach. There's another beach with a lifeguard (seasonal) and changing rooms about a 5 minutes' walk away along the sea.

Be sure to ask for a sea view. I always ask for a room on the upper floor with a balcony, as you have a nice view and though although not right by the sea, you have the luxury of a terrace. I've heard that you can't open the windows in the rooms right by the sea, so at least if you have a terrace, you can get some air in.

The rooms are immaculate although the last time I stayed there, the cleaning wasn't up to scratch for some reason. The floors weren't cleaned every day and I had to ask for clean towels. You've got loads of storage space in the rooms so can put all your staff away neatly.

The glasses don't always get changed either, but that's a minor point in my view.

The beds, pillows and duvets are really comfy.

The sauna and pool (small) are lovely, with direct access to the beach. The last time I stayed, I was a bit annoyed as the womens' sauna was closed although it wasn't supposed to be and I had to get someone to come and open it for us ladies who were waiting to get in.

I tried room service once, which wasn't great. In fact, I had to send it back as the meat wasn't properly cooked.

I also ate at the restaurant but it wasn't that great quality-wise, though the view was fabulous.

You've got tennis courts right next to the hotel and you can hire bikes.

The service at the hotel is excellent, especially at breakfast.
The breakfast itself is probably the best I've ever had at a hotel. What strikes me most each time, is the breakfast service. It's never under-staffed.

Be sure to take a walk or take a bike ride to Seurasaari, the little islet with an open-air museum. It's worth stopping for a snack or lunch at the cafe. There's a nudist beach there too, if that tickles your fancy.

You've got wifi available in the hall and bar area.

You can take the tram to the city centre which takes around 25 minutes. There are also buses that stop nearby.

Food-wise, there aren't many restaurants nearby which is a bit of a bummer. The Cafe Torpanranta which is about a 3 minute walk from the hotel, by the sea, is really nice but the choice of food is rather limited; soups and salads. The salads are delicious by the way. You've also got supermarkets nearby.

My review is based on summertime stays. It's a different ballgame in the winter ;)!

I love this hotel and the area and yes, I may be nostalgic as it's where I lived as a child/youngster but you know; other people who have been there with me, have loved it just as much and all want to return!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lovefoodlovetravel75
DanielaOhman, Sales and Marketing Co-ordinator at Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experiences with us!

I was very happy to hear that for the most part your stays have been succesful and enjoyable. Summer time is indeed lovely as the hotel is by the sea with green surroundings. Thank you also for your comments about the food, both room service and the restuarant, and the trouble you encountered with the sauna. The locks on the door to the sauna is automatically activated according to the opening hours so I feel confident that your unfortunate experience was an exception. Nevertheless I appreciate that you have brought this to our attention. Cleaning of the room should of course always be immculate, and I am very sorry to hear this was not up to our normal standards.

Thank you for your continued business with us and we hope you will be back again next summer, if not sooner!

Daniela Öhman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 2, 2013

First stay at this property. Ask for a room in the "sea Wing" as the room will sit facing a bay of the Baltic. There is a tunnel between all the buildings for connecting without braving the elements. Rooms were large, modern, and accommodating (pictures attached). A handful of restaurants to choose from. Be sure to book a private sauna - they come fully equipped (there are non private, gender specific as well). Indoor pool located with a sea view as well.

The bay was frozen over this time of year but was active with skiers, skaters, and wind skiers. Great to watch from the window during breakfast.

Reasonable rates. About 20 minutes from center city by taxi. Only a block away from the public tram.

I will stay here again next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the "sea Wing" as the room will sit facing a bay of the Baltic. 5th flo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
DanielaOhman, Sales and Marketing Co-ordiantor at Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us!

It was a pleasure to read your comments and I am glad your stay was an enjoyable one. It is indeed an activity in itself to watch what is going on on the ice in front of the hotel, for example if the ice is thick enough the city actually paves an ice skating route for people to enjoy.

Thank you for staying with us and for your lovely comments, we hope you will be back soon!

Best regards,

NY
Reviewed January 31, 2013

What a great experience we had at this hotel. Very upscale, very posh, very good, and very reasonably priced for the luxury. Great service and very high quality.

Helsinki, Finland is a great place to begin with and this hilton really tops is off. My wife and son were there for a few days and we immensely enjoyed it. The restaurant is okay, SPA is great but the Hotel itself is awesome.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I very much enjoyed reading your comments about your stay, what a pleasure to hear you and your family had such a good time with us. Thank you especially for your comments regarding our staff, it is very motivating for them to read. We welcome all feeback from our guests and appreciate that you have taken the time to write a review.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will stay with us again when visiting Finland next time!

Yours sincerely,

Helsinki
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed for one night on a "new parents sleep retreat." Thus we wanted peace, good food, sleep and a bath tub! We got all we asked for, and more! :) Plus you've just gotta love the old 007-style lobby!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments!

I am indeed happy to hear our hotel was able to offer a relaxing stay for you and your husband. We all need it sometimes and I am glad to hear your expectations were met.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Shanghai, China
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times for a specific meeting on site. It's perfect for that. Nice and secluded, but still with all the services of a fine hotel.

Couple of notes
- Equally close to Helsinki and Espoo center (many companies have offices in both)
- Proven Hilton quality with a nice restaurant
- The large park with long coast is the best thing about this hotel. If you like long walks or running, this is the best hotel choise in Helsinki
- The rooms are quite modest, but always clean and the service gets the job done.
- Only downside is the distance to city center. Helsinki is city wher you can walk almost everywhere and Kalastajatorppa is quite a bit from the center.
- Kalastatorppa has the one of the largest hotel conference facilities in the the city and a good catering service proven by regular wedding receptions

Room Tip: If you're a Hilton Honnors member they'll locate you on the sea view side. Good view!
Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments here on TripAdvisor!

I am very pleased to hear that the hotel and surroundings have catered for your needs while staying in Helsinki. We are indeed fortunate to be located by the sea in a green area, like you said, it is great for people who enjoy nature. The location is a few kilometres from the city center but I hope our staff have made you aware of the tram connection which is inexpensive and convenient.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forwards to having you stay with us again!

Your sincerely,

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 17, 2013

A bit outside of the Helsinki city center, this is a nice hotel. Friendly staff, nice design, pretty contemporary looking rooms. The bathroom was a bit small, but nice for a change not to have to shower in a tub, never liked the shower curtains flapping about. And very good water pressure, my wife would easily get the shampoo out of her hair! :)
Had an issue with the wireless internet, my iPad would not connect and my PC would not load every other page, VPN was impossible. But it was late, so no big deal. They refunded the €10 no questions asked.
Skipped breakfast, but they had very nice caramels on the reception counter. :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments about your stay!

We are always happy to hear about our guests' stays and it is particularly nice to hear that you had a succesful one. Thank you especially about your comments about our staff and the interior design of the hotel. I was sorry to hear that the wireless did not work properly and I hope this did not inconvenience you too much.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will return when visiting Helsinki next time!

Los Altos, California
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I spent 5 nights at Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa in December. The hotel itself was OK. Room was clean and breakfast was good and hearty. Because the daylight was so short (6 hours or so) and the snow was non-stop, I ended up spending lots of time in the hotel and wished there were more things to do and more dining choices. The gym at the hotel is pretty small - a bicycle, a treadmill, a elliptical plus a few weight training equipment. There was only one restaurant for dinner too. (I tried the bar but service was quite horrible -- the bartender seemed to be upset that someone interrupted his quiet evening). There are a few eateries nearby but the snow made a 10 min walk twice as long.
Despite the lack of sunlight, the view from my room (Seaside Building) was indeed breathtaking. It was simply serene -- definitely the highlight.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DT94024
DanielaOhman, Sales and Marketing Co-ordiantor at Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay!

I am glad to hear that you found the room and the views to be to your satisfaction but I am sorry to hear that the hotel did not live up to your expectations in terms of activites and choice of restaurants. The weather has indeed affected many travellers' stays, making it a little bit more difficult to go out and about.

We appreciate your comments about our gym as well, your feedback is valuable and helps us to keep on improving. I was especially sorry to hear that the service at the bar was not better. I can assure your that this is not our normal standard and your comments will be forwarded to the relevant department for review.

Thank you for staying with us and we do hope you will consider our hotel for another stay. Why not come in the summer when we have rowing boats, frisbee golf and bicycles, among toher things, available.

Happy New Year!