“Perfect and homey” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect and homey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Great hotel in the centre of the city and near transport, restaurants and lots of the sightseeing spots, yet it is on a quiet side street and near a nice public gardens.
Room was clean and functional, and had a great wet shower room and very comfortable bed. Very quiet on the 5th floor so great nights sleep.
Breakfast buffet is an excellent start to the day with plenty of hot and cold options, fresh fruit, drinks etc.
Staff very friendly and helpful.

All in all a charming old hotel that was the perfect spot to enjoy Helsinki.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 5th floor facing the quiet side street. Excellent.
    • 5 of 5 stars
hotelarthur, Director of Sales at Arthur Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice comments about our hotel. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us and we warmly welcome you to stay with us again.
Sales department

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Given previous reviews it was with trepidation that I stayed at this hotel, fortunately I was pleasantly surprised. It is an old hotel so clearly one needs to take that into consideration but in my opinion they have done a nice job with the rooms mine was certainly pretty spacious. The bathroom was older but still clean and in good working order. The location was the best thing just a short stroll from the main bus station, very easy to get to from the airport just take the number 615 bus and when you get to the bus station look up and when you see Radisson Blu head in that direction as this hotel is only one street over.
The staff here were also helpful and friendly and spoke very good English no issues whatsoever.

• 3 of 5 stars
hotelarthur, Director of Sales at Arthur Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here in Hotel Arthur and wish to see you again as our guest.
Sales department
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

stayed her for three nights visiting Helenski,,,,,,,nice hotel..,quiet, good location , near train station and city buses location..........dont forget the PUB tram,,,its a must...two blocks away..hotel had great breakfast ( included)........rooms were average........staff helpful....( do not buy a coke from front desk,,,,,,,,,expensive).......they willl store luggage........it on a side street,,,,,,,not seen at first from the big square........be sure to eat at zetor........good interesting place......ask at hotel

Room Tip: get up to eat the breakfast
    • 4 of 5 stars
hotelarthur, Director of Sales at Arthur Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and welcome you to stay with us again!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I recently stayed at Hotel Arthur whilst in Helsinki for a conference. Firstly, the hotel is very conveniently located, just a few minutes walk from the central railway station, tram stops and bus station. The free airport bus stops at the bus station just on the opposite side of the central station.

I shared a twin room with a friend who was also attending the conference. The room wasn't overly large, but was always clean and comfortable. My only real complaint was that the room was a bit hot - during our stay Helsinki was experiencing a bit of a heat wave (up to 30 degrees centigrade). The room got a bit stuffy and the windows only opened inwards, with no way to prop them ajar (unless you wanted your head hanging out of the window while you were asleep!). Considering Finland isn't often this hot, I'd say the window situation and stuffiness was a minor inconvenience that not many people will have to worry about.

I've seen a couple of complaints on here about the locked fridge in the room - the second key (attached to your room key) is for the fridge. I don't understand why people seem to think this is a problem. We used the fridge loads and just didn't drink the mini bar items that were already in there.

Breakfast at the hotel was great - a good selection of Finnish and continental foods. Some of the eggs looked a bit overdone and rubbery but there was enough of a choice that this didn't bother me in the slightest. Bread was very nice - go for the stuff that you have to cut yourself.

Staff were very helpful and friendly but not overbearing. The hotel was quiet at night even though our room was right over the main hotel entrance. And our wifi was pretty good.

I think people might judge Hotel Arthur to be a bit expensive for what you get, but this is only because Finland (like the rest of Scandinavia) is expensive compared to many other countries. Looking at the prices of other nearby hotels I'd say Hotel Arthur is very reasonable. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Noddinggoth
Thank you very much for your nice comments! We are happy, that you enjoyed yur stay here and that is true, that we have no air conditioning here as we don´t in our houses cause we seldom have such a war weather :-)
Welcome again!
Wiesbaden, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The title of my review is about the best thing I can say about this hotel. It is very convenient to the central station so trains, buses (including the Finnair express bus to/from the airport) and trams are at your disposal. The only other really good thing I can say about this hotel is that the staff we encountered were all very friendly and helpful. Aside from that, this is not a hotel I would stay at again and I'm very surprised it has the rating it does on Trip Advisor. For the first time in my life I actually checked out of a hotel early because I just couldn't take it any more. We were originally booked for 4 nights and I could stick it out for only 2. I will try to present my findings as facts vs. criticisms but don't know if I'll succeed: The room was stifling when we checked in. It did seem to be an unseasonably warm day in Helsinki (although still only in the low 60s) and there was no mechanism for flowing air in the room. There is a radiator for heat in the winter, but the only option for cool air is to open the window. This proved difficult as there were three curtain rods in front of the windows - one in front of the other - so you could open the window (keep in mind it's a European style window so you pull it in towards the room vs. lifting it up or sliding it over like American style windows) only so far as the curtain rod closest to the window. This was not very far and didn't do much good. The other downside of this was that upon opening the window we could hear a practicing symphony, which isn't what I really wanted to hear when trying to relax before going out for the evening. We requested a fan from the front desk and when we got back to the room we did indeed find a fan that was smaller than a desk lamp. I have to say it looked brand new so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd run out and bought it right then but either way, they do get small points for providing this, small as it was. The problem was then posed about where to plug the fan in because outlets were lacking, especially by the head of the bed where I wanted the fan. My husband ended up having to move the refrigerator (which, by the way, was locked and they never mentioned anything about a key to us) to unplug it and then plug the fan in there. The locked refrigerator also seemed to be a big source of heat in the room so unplugging it helped a little. On our first night there, we had wanted to rest after sightseeing during the day and before going out at night. This was very difficult both because of the aforementioned symphony and because of the noise above us. Come to find out there is a basketball court on the 8th floor. Nope, not even kidding. An actual basketball court. Only found this out by reading another review after the fact. If you insist on staying here and don't want people playing basketball on your ceiling, don't stay on the 7th floor. There is free wifi in the rooms but the connection was awful. We were constantly moving around the room trying to get a halfway decent connection and it wasn't easy. The room was very, very worn with extremely flimsy and thin mattresses so both my husband and I had sore backs in the mornings. It appears from reading other reviews that the hotel has renovated some rooms, so again if you must stay here I recommend trying to get a renovated room to see if that's any better. Oddly enough the bathroom in our room did seem to have been renovated but it was really tiny. The shower was nice and roomy but if you're trying to towel off in the bathroom outside the shower, good luck. There was no safe in the room. Breakfast is adequate but not great, although it is included so that's a plus. Oh, one other good thing I can say is the hotel is also convenient to most tourist sites in addition to being close to the central station. All this being said, I realize Helsinki is an expensive city but for what we got in this hotel it should have been half the price. Definitely not worth the money to me. Bottom line is if you are looking for nothing more than indoor plumbing, free breakfast and a place to lay your head, you may be happy with this hotel. Seemingly a lot of people are. But if you're like me and need a bit more luxury in your accommodations, I would recommend looking at somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 7th floor because there is a basketball court on the 8th floor. Ask for a renova...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sheenuh
hotelarthur, Director of Sales at Arthur Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you felt it was not worth the money you paid. It is true that there is YMCA´s basketball court on the 8th floor and unluckily last week they had basketball summer camp going on so it was noisy all around here during day time. Unfortunately we are on rent and can not affect for the use of the basketball court.

It is true, we built some new rooms last spring which also have air conditioning. Normally in Finland we do not have air conditioning in our homes; new hotels now adays have that but as said we are a very old building.

Although ve are happy to hear that you were happi with our staff. That is very important to us as our premises are not the fanciest ones.
We wish you a beautiful summer time!
Miisa

Travelers are raving about these Helsinki hotels

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for two nights. The only thing i didnt like, was i kept getting lost trying to find it. This has nothing to do with the hotel, but more the set up of Helsinki streets. The hotel itself was comfortable, clean and good breakfast. As it is light in the evening and morning, they had good block out curtains. No kettle or toiletry items in room. But i did ask reception for a kettle and they gave me one. It is centrally located and i did also stay at grand marina, but found this hotel much better

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
hotelarthur, Director of Sales at Arthur Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice feedback. We are glad to hear that you found our hotel nice and comfortable. Welcome again!
Sales office
Kiev, Ukraine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, got double room with twin beds for single use in what I believe must be adjusted building once incorporated into the hotel - got to take turns and stairs to get to the room from the lift/main stairway. Centrally located - 5 min walk from railway station, 1 block from subway station and tram stops, but most of it is on a quiet street. The hotel (at least the part I've stayed in) is rather worn out and needs renovation, both rooms and common areas.

Great vast buffet breakfast with plenty of choice.

The room was of moderate size, nothing special, just OK place to sleep. Old wooden windows - in winter it might be cold. Thin walls. The main drawback was sockets location - under the beds' head, so you need either move it or lay on the floor to get to one. No sockets in bathroom or hallway too - you must make the same trick with a hairdryer trying to reach a mirror.

Good located but just OK place to stay - might have been better for that price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your feedback. It is true that hotel is old and some parts need renovation. We are hoping that we can renovate the old rooms as soon as possible.