“It was a good choice. Recommended.”
Review of Arthur Hotel

Arthur Hotel
Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Everything is expensive in Helsinki. But this hotel offers: an extremely good and strategic position (just beside the central station), affordable fares, decent rooms (maybe a bit small but clean and cosy) with free wi-fi... What else? Oh, an incredible breakfast!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
hotelarthur, Director of Sales at Arthur Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you very much for your nice comments and welcome back!
Sales office
Miisa

Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I booked a single room but was very lucky to be allocated a twin room (it's still small but fine for one person - I guess the single room might be even tinier so I'm really grateful for the upgrade). It's not the nicest (and therefore not the most expensive) room in the hotel but it's still acceptable to me as some of the furnishings appear to have been recently replaced.

I had a room window facing the interior/back of other buildings so there’s no view to speak of but it gives me peace and quiet throughout my stay (which is what I asked for). Bedsheets and towels are clean and of rather good quality. Shower-room was not renovated so it looks rather oldish but it’s clean. Reception area looks really old fashioned and not appealing upon first sight. Some staff are nicer than others so it depends on your luck.

Buffet breakfast in the restaurant is plentiful and rather good and the dining area is large, cheerful looking and comfortable.

I didn't watch any programmes on TV and it seems like the channels are chargeable. Accommodation in Helsinki is expensive so I’m happy to find a promotional price for this hotel at one of the booking webistes. The price, central location and acceptable comfort level is attractive enough to make me return to this hotel.

Lastly, I noticed that the comments left by the hotel's Sales Director in TA seems truthful and sincere to me because he/she does acknowledge that not all the rooms in the hotel are perfect or incrediby nice and there is a reason for having to bear with some imperfections given that the not-so-great rooms are not yet renovated and priced much lower and you're staying in a private ensuite at a very convenient spot. If I expect a top quality room, I won't be surprised if the room price for such a standard would be equally high. So I appreciate the fact that other than the more expensive room category, Arthur also offers some basic private rooms at an affordable price for people who need somewhere nice and friendly enough, clean, safe and central to stay at.

Room Tip: If you love nature, rooms facing the park seems nice though I didn't get to stay in that section...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank TravellingApe
hotelarthur, Director of Sales at Arthur Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback. As you said, it is an old hotel and the style is oldfashioned. We are happy to hear that the room was good value for the money and the staff was friendly.
We warmly welcome you to stay with us again!

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Conveniently located. The hotel is old and you can see that. The rooms are okay, the bathrooms could do with some touching up. The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was okay as well. Not a very memorable hotel, but it is affordable and definitely offers value for money. I liked it, you get what you expect.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
hotelarthur, Director of Sales at Arthur Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. It is true, that the hotel is old and as we have 182 rooms, it is unfotunately not possibel to renovate the whole hotel at once. We hev newer rooms and also brand new jugend dtyle rooms where the bathrooms are new and nice.

We are happy to hear that you were happy with the service; it is important to us as our premises are not too fancy.

Welcome again to stay with us!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just a five minute walk from the train station, one block from the tram and bus lines, and a hundred meters from a large lakeside park. Quiet neighborhood to the north and west. East side on busy boulevard so perhaps noisy. We spent many hours walking around Helsinki and never saw a place we would rather be. Even the ferry docks were only a twenty minute walk.

Excellent breakfast included, and the dining hall was never crowded. Pleasant, helpful staff. Upgrade from the basic room didn't cost much extra but worth it. We asked for a quiet room far from the elevator so got the ninth floor, with the elevator ending at the eighth floor, and we walked up one floor to a very peaceful room. :)

Room Tip: The ninth floor is quietest because the elevator ends on the eighth floor, with only a few rooms on...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelarthur, Director of Sales at Arthur Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you for your nice feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed to stay with us and the 9th floor rooms are my favourite also.
Welcome to stay with us again!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed at the Hotel Arthur for 3 nights in late April 2013. I have stayed and visited other hotels in Helsinki, but all the hotels I knew were quite expensive during these dates, so I tried Hotel Arthur as despite the medium rating on TripAdvisor, the latest reviews were quite positive. As it turns out, the hotel was better than I expected. The only negative is that the older rooms are rather worn, and it shows, especially in the bathrooms and furniture. But the price makes up for that. Otherwise, my experience was very positive. The hotel is really close to the central railway station and the bus stop for the airport bus (line 615) and it is even closer to the metro station Kajsainemi (one of the entrances is 100 meters away). During the winter, these would be extremely handy. Kajsaniemi is a small underground mall, there is a 24 hour grocery store in the central station, and everything that Helsinki has to offer is within walking distance.

Breakfast is quite good for the price, there are both hot and cold items and the quality is good. I did not try the restaurant and bar, as there are so many options outside the hotel. The Internet (in the price) was excellent, easy to setup and you did not have to enter the code every time. The TV has a few non-Finnish channels, but half of the programs on the Finnish channels are in english anyway (not dubbed). The rooms as I said are a bit worn, the twin room was fine for a single person, it would be a bit crowded with a second person. The bathroom was old and the shower rather small, but everything worked fine. The locks are a bit odd: they lock/unlock the wrong way, but you get used to it.

Overall my stay was a positive experience, and compared to other hotels in the area, I would expect Arthur to be a bit higher in the TripAdvisor ranking. The old rooms are old, but not abandoned, the hotel operates well, the location is excellent and the price is right.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank xgeorgeAthens

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our hotel! it is true, that some of the rooms are old but fortunately the next thing we are going to renovate are those old bathrooms. We also have newer rooms which have new bathrooms, so next time you come, you can try forexample a comfort room.
Have a nice spring!

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Location excellent with only one block to the central railway station. Relatively quiet on a small street. Several mid priced restaurants close by. The hotel is a bit worn but clean. The floor in our room had a pice broken out of it in the middle of the room. Breakfast below average. Friendly staff in the reception.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments. It si true, our hotel is old, but nice to hear that you were happy with the staff.
Welcome again!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Nice and quiet hotel with great location in center of Helsinki, very closer to railroad station. We are booked Superiour room and got very big and clean room with big bathroom, kettle and couple tea pockets, 2 big comfortable beds and sofa. Just everything are a bit old and sofa was very dirty and in spots.
Service is very friendly and helpful however like in all finnish hotels.
Breafast is tasty and big.
I would recommend this hotel for all kinds of travellers and it is possible to get the room here for clever money just don't take a Superiour room,I don't think it's worth the money i paid for it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
hotelarthur, Director of Sales at Arthur Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is true, that some furniture in superior rooms are old. If you want to have new, beautiful room I recommed the jugend rooms in our 9th floor. But it is true that also the standard rooms are good value for money; rate is low and the room is basic.
Welcom back some time!