“Worst hotel on my 18 day Europe trip”
Review of Arthur Hotel

Arthur Hotel
Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Where to begin. The elevator was tiny- barely enough room for me and my bags. The room was small and when I lifted up the sheets to see bed there were several hairs under the top pad on bed. The shower was a hose with a drain on the floor the water would have went everywhere in the entire small bathroom to run out onto wood floors that I could not afford to pay for so I skipped it and waited until the next hotel. It is close to the train station, but the cab drivers over charge examp. 13euros for 2 blocks because it was dark. Total rip off. Save you money and skip Finland. Go to Portugal where they take care of their rooms and their customers.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel if you want a good room and good luck in that Country.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank edith g
hotelarthur, Director of Sales at Arthur Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Thank you very much for your feed back. We are awfully sorry to hear that your trip to Helsinki wa an unpleasant one. About our rooms; we have renovated the hotel this year and the renovation will continue next year. There are still some rooms with very old bath rooms and obviously you had one of those rooms. We are sorry about that. The situation will improve next year when we start to renovate the bathrooms.
About the elevators; it is true, that 2 of them are quite small an the 3rd one is very large. When building the elevators the management preferd the number of lifts over the size.
Next time we recommend to reserve a comfort room or brand new art deco room; these rooms are higher class than standard rooms.
Wish you a lovely autumn!
Sales department

Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was there firstly 12 years ago and coming this year was happy to know that this hotel hadn/t become any worse. Food is great - good choice of tasty meals. Staff is very friendly and ready to help. Location is very near to central railway station but better to learn previously the route by map. There are a subway station and supermarket next to hotel. Rooms are not too big, but comfortable.
It could be cool in the halls and stairs so take something warm to put on going to breakfast

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
hotelarthur, Director of Sales at Arthur Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

It is really nice to hear that you have been here first time already 12 years ago! Great, that you choose us again and hopefully we will meet you also in the future!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My room was clean, everything worked, the water pressure was good, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast had lots of choices (although the same choices every day). By European standards, my room was large, the elevator was quite small (but typical for a European hotel). The elevator did work well. The staff was very helpful and friendly, and they spoke English quite well. The hotel is close to the main train station, there are several tram stops very near the hotel, lots of bus options, and the subway was only a block or so away. There were a number of good restaurants nearby. Given hotel prices in Helsinki, I would say the Arthur Hotel is a good value. I would stay there again, if my travel plans include Helsinki.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your nice comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel was good value for money. Hope to see you again here in Arthur if you are travelling to Helsinki.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in September 2 rooms double and single - great location to shopping, dining and transport - trams close by which cover all Helsinki - good breakfast included with great service from staff - gay friendly

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Nice to hear that you had a good time here and you were satisfied with our services.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was so happy with the hotel, it was great location, very closed to bus/train station. Walking distance to down town, Kamppi Shopping Center, and Esplanade Helsinki, Finland (Kampinmalmi).
I was not looking for luxury hotel, but Arthur gave me everything I need, comfort, clean room, free enternet.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Thank you very much for your nice comments and welcome again!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Fairly close to the train station, easy walking distance to Senate Square, Uspenski Cathedral, the Esplanade, waterfront. Staff was very helpful. Very clean. Breakfast included a good variety of foods.

Not a fancy hotel, room was small, shower was separated from rest of the bathroom by only a curtain but a squeegee was provided to get the water off the bathroom floor.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your feedback. We have a good location and it is hard to believe that when we were built in 1907 the area was very peaceful and almost countryside :-)
Rooms are quite basic and the bathrooms are old; we are fortunately starting to renovate those oldest bathrooms next year.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was leery on check in when the woman at the desk told us we were on the 9th floor, but the elevator went only to the 8th. She assured us that the 9th floor rooms were much better. She was right. The room was lovely. The location was excellent. I was on my own for two days in Helsinki while my husband was in meetings. The hotel was in an excellent location. It was easy to get around Helsinki, and I walked to most places-- museums, Esplanade, waterfront market, art galleries, etc. I did buy a Helsinki card, and certainly got my money's worth from the card -- a free tour of the city, free entrance to several museums, free tram rides, etc. Athough the weather was rainy, I loved Helsinki and enjoyed our lovely room on the 9th floor room of the Hotel Arthur.

Room Tip: The 9th floor have better quality rooms. Our room on the 9th floor was lovely. The room was a good s...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for you nice comments! We are also very proud of our 9th floor art deco rooms; they were built last spring and I think there are no similar hotel rooms here in Helsinki. Nice to also here that you loved Helsinki despite the rain :-)
Hopefully we´ll see you again as our guests!