“Love it”

Ranked #43 of 63 Hotels in Helsinki
Atlanta, Georgia
“Love it”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was so happy with the hotel, it was great location, very closed to bus/train station. Walking distance to down town, Kamppi Shopping Center, and Esplanade Helsinki, Finland (Kampinmalmi).
I was not looking for luxury hotel, but Arthur gave me everything I need, comfort, clean room, free enternet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
hotelarthur, Director of Sales at Arthur Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you very much for your nice comments and welcome again!
Miisa
Sales department

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Fairly close to the train station, easy walking distance to Senate Square, Uspenski Cathedral, the Esplanade, waterfront. Staff was very helpful. Very clean. Breakfast included a good variety of foods.

Not a fancy hotel, room was small, shower was separated from rest of the bathroom by only a curtain but a squeegee was provided to get the water off the bathroom floor.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
hotelarthur, Director of Sales at Arthur Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We have a good location and it is hard to believe that when we were built in 1907 the area was very peaceful and almost countryside :-)
Rooms are quite basic and the bathrooms are old; we are fortunately starting to renovate those oldest bathrooms next year.
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was leery on check in when the woman at the desk told us we were on the 9th floor, but the elevator went only to the 8th. She assured us that the 9th floor rooms were much better. She was right. The room was lovely. The location was excellent. I was on my own for two days in Helsinki while my husband was in meetings. The hotel was in an excellent location. It was easy to get around Helsinki, and I walked to most places-- museums, Esplanade, waterfront market, art galleries, etc. I did buy a Helsinki card, and certainly got my money's worth from the card -- a free tour of the city, free entrance to several museums, free tram rides, etc. Athough the weather was rainy, I loved Helsinki and enjoyed our lovely room on the 9th floor room of the Hotel Arthur.

Room Tip: The 9th floor have better quality rooms. Our room on the 9th floor was lovely. The room was a good s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for you nice comments! We are also very proud of our 9th floor art deco rooms; they were built last spring and I think there are no similar hotel rooms here in Helsinki. Nice to also here that you loved Helsinki despite the rain :-)
Hopefully we´ll see you again as our guests!
Ypsilanti, Michigan USA
Reviewed October 12, 2012

In conjunction with our trip to Tallinn, Estonia, my daughter and I ferried over to Helsinki for two days. Hotel Arthur was a friendly and clean hotel, but I wouldn't recommend it for more than 2-3 nights. There were no shelves in the bathroom which was an inconvenience, and the windows opened in right on top of our heads (we both enjoy fresh air.) We had to stuff some clothing under them to "hold them back.) There was a small desk & chair, and one extra chair for sitting. No drawers--only a few cubbies for putting your clothes. The restaurant was just o.k.--nothing to tease the palate. The hotel's location, however, was excellent which made up for any inconveniences. The Lutheran Cathedral was close (which for us was a "must see," ) and walking was very easy. For those who dearly love Italian cusine, I urge you to visit Ristorante II Sicilian, address Aleksanterinkatu 36A. The Pasta Carabonara was like none I've ever tasted--absolutely wonderful. For two plates of pasta, one beer, one glass of wine, and two gelatos, the charge was 46.60 EUR, which was $66.37 U.S. I thought that was very reasonable given the quality of the meal as well as the attentive service.

Room Tip: We were on a street side but it was pretty quiet from about 10 pm-5am. I really cannot comment on o...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your feedback. It is true that some of the rooms have a quite little space to store the luggage.
We welcome you to stay with us again if you are coming to Helsinki!
New Haven, CT
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Hotel Arthur is located in central Helsinki, which is a small city and easily walkable.

This is a medium/ low cost hotel that provides a good location, good nights sleep and a good breakfast.

I arrived from Estonia on the ferry and walked to the hotel, which took about 20 - 30 minutes.

The hotel is located about two blocks from the central railroad station in a quiet part of the city. Less than five minutes walk to the railroad station and most of the trams and busses providing Helsinki's public transportation.

I stayed in a single room with two single beds, tv, wardrobe and a small, but adequate bathroom. The room was slightly larger than most single rooms in European hotels. My window looked out on a central courtyard/ air shaft.

The bed was comfortable, but the tv channels deary and 99% Finnish.

The room was plain, but very clean and comfortable.

Modern elevators will take you to your floor or you can walk the wide stairway, which I found faster at certain times of the day.

The friendly hotel staff all spoke excellent English and were very helpful when asked.

A huge buffet breakfast is included in the room charge and is held in the ground floor restaurant of the hotel.

There is such a wide variety and amount of food that it's impossible to sample everything.

You can have a meat and egg breakfast with quartered tomatoes (tomates are included in every Finnish meal), pastries and toast or an oatmeal, fruit, lingonberry, yogurt breakfast. Plenty of orange/ grapefruit juice, water, tea, milk, coffee.

Quantity is the keyword here and you can eat enough to keep yourself going for the entire day.

I spent 7 days at this hotel and enjoyed every day. The hotel easily meets it's objectives of a good location, a good nights sleep and a large breakfast for a reasonalbe price.

Room Tip: Ask for a center room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your nice comments! We wish warmly welcome again to stay with us!
Perth, Scotland
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have stayed at Hotel Arthur on three separate occasions this year, each time for one night only. The first time, early March, I found the room I was allocated to be, effectively, a work site; electrical cables trailing across the floor, walls damaged and half the ceiling missing in the bathroom. Not what one would expect anywhere. On complaining at Reception about the state of the room I was told by the young receptionist that as I had booked and paid through an agency and, thus, paid the lowest night rate possible I should only expect to be allocated the worst room in the hotel. I was furious and immediately asked to see the duty manager as I am quite certain that this is not the service any agency would expect its clients to receive. After some discussion during which I asked to cancel my booking for the following week the manager relented, allocated me a better room and promised that I would be well looked after if I did return the following week. I did return and was allocated a very nice, comfortable, room with all one could need for a one night stay. Well done Hotel Arthur! Friday night of last week I returned to the hotel with expectations of similar treatment only to be disappointed as, having again booked through the same agency, the "worst room" policy seemed to have been reapplied. The room was barely clean, in bad need of decorating, fittings and lighting worn out,the bathroom was slightly smelly; all-in-all just a feeling of "you don't deserve better". I was too tired at the end of a hard working week to remonstrate but that will most certainly be my last encounter with the Hotel Arthur! For me, now, the one saving grace is that the majority of the staff are always friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feed back. We are awfully sorry to hear that you got treated that way the first and the last time you were here. the truth is, that we have different room categories and the ones they sell through on line agencies are usually the standard class, which are the oldest and most modest rooms we have. That is why sometimes someone get´s the rooms with bathrooms in a bade shape. However we are starting to renovate those bathrooms next year so the situation gets a bit easier. The easiest way to be sure to get better room than a standard is to email directly to hotel.
We wish you a warm autumn!
Sales department

Travelers are raving about these Helsinki hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

There is nothing fancy about Hotel Arthur. It is straightforward, friendly and comfortable. Rooms are spacious, beds are comfortable and it is quiet. Most importantly it is only 5 minutes walk from the station and the airport bus.

One gripe is the bathroom which was cramped and should have been neater, certainly the shower curtain should have been replaced some time ago.

The breakfast buffet was exceptional with a choice of porridge, meats, fish, fruit, cereals and almost anything else you could think of. There can be no better start to the day.

Altogether recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your nice comments! We are starting to renovate the oldest bathrooms beginning of next year. But we are happy to hear that we are friendly and comfortable, as our slogan is Your home in Helsinki.
We wish you a nice autumn and welcome back!