New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersGold level
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Nice quality hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed at the Grand Marina for a week on business and it was a very nice hotel. Its my first time in Finland sinceI was a child so I dont know if the Finnish are quirky or maybe its just me. I arrived at reception to be greeted by someone looking as though they were off to the gym. It took me a second to realise she was the receptionist. The greeting wasnt particularly warm but it was efficient. The room was well laid out and the beds were comfy too. The bathroom was clean and had all the amenities except there was no bath. That doesnt bother me but I know some people like a soak.The thing that got me was the colour scheme. It was mixture of yellow and that off white/beige colour that you get when white paint has been exposed to years of cigarette smoke. It didnt look right but its just my opinion. Anyway there was the usual TV with cable channels with some in English with Finnish subtitles.
One thing to be wary of is that the walls seem to be paper thin. I am a light sleeper and have been woken by cupboards and doors banging along with the general TV/hairdryer.
The resturaunt was nicely appointed and modern looking. I chose to eat at the bar most nights as you can watch the world pass by the reception and look out of the windows at the front of the hotel. Breakfast was included in the stay and its a bit of a free for all. There were a lot of coach holiday makers who tended to come all at once but it was fun being in the thick of it. Sometimes you mind find it hard to find a table so people spill out into the bar area. There was the usual hot and cold breakfast buffet items and more types of bread than you can shake a stick at (or should that be breadstick!). There was free wi-fi included in my stay and I must say that it was so fast that I could not believe it. It was faster than at my house and I have the latest fibre optic line. Even the airport wi-fi was quick which just brings shame on us Brits.
If you wish to walk into town, its only a 10-15 minute stroll and you pass the marina area with all its boats before you hit the town. Once you arrive at the edge of town, there a lovely park with a glass house cafe which is lovely on those light summer nights. The town itself is full of different shops and boutiques which will keep the ardent shopper happy.

• 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Although located next to Helsinki's pretty harbour, there is not much you can see of it, since the view from the hotel is blocked by a conference center.
The hotel has a nice industrial front but has to deal with boat loads of guests who pour out of the cruise liners right in front of it. It is big and fit to deal with huge amounts of people. This shows in the efficient but totally charmless atmosphere of the rooms, the breakfast and the lobby. Wifi works and is free. A concierge is badly needed to deal with all the requests. Staff are friendly, but sometimes overworked.The rooms are basic but have allright bathrooms, a desk and reasonable beds. The location is fine with direct access (tramline 4) to the centre of city. Helsinki is an expensive city and it shows in the price. Quality for money is just about allright.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the back side, the front side has the big lamps that illuminate the hotel facad...
Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Very nice, clean and modern hotel. Very friendly staff. Excellent restaurant. Nice location. Internet works properly. I enjoyed my stay, reccomend and would stay again. The price was very reasonable . A great choice.

• Stayed April 2012
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I booked at family standard room for our time in Helsinki at this hotel. I chose this as a family member had stayed here previously and had given a good report to us on it. We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel, it was about 50 euro and we knew there were cheaper ways to get there but for us it was the best option. The bathroom had a very large shower, basin and toilet but certainly not one of the nicest hotel bathrooms very bland. The room was clean. We had our bed, a sofa that converted to a bed & a cot. We ate dinner at the restaurant on site and the waiter was very accommodating for our two children even warming up the milk & preparing a dish that wasn’t on the children’s menu. We were impressed with the service in the restaurant where nothing was a problem. As a vegetarian the choices were limited but the chef did a special dish for me with no fuss so this was a very nice surprise. The breakfast had an excellent choice and one big win for us was there was a dedicated play area for the children to be entertained in so we could watch them play & have our table right next to that area. The breakfast was buffet style. So with breakfast included & children staying for free this was good value for us. There were not many options during the day to purchase a snack within the hotel but outside the market area and waterfront were nice areas to be in and that was a short walk away that we enjoyed taking. During our stay we needed to call the airline and the gentleman on duty at reception was so nice to recommend I go down to reception to make the call as the cost per minute was very high & there was a wait time. We also got a free late checkout and took a taxi to the airport on checking out. Even though the hotel was very busy during our stay we never felt crowded and the children loved the little area they could play in.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I recently visited Helsinki with my work and I stayed at the Grand Marina for two nights. This hotel was what I expected. One word describes my stay, 'Average'.

Good: Great location. Semi friendly staff.

Bad: Very little flash, bland/dry food, rock hard bed. In all honesty, I was surprised the TV worked as well as it did.

Listen, if you find yourself in Finland, this is very typical of most hotels. Don't be disappointed. Set your expectations lower and you will find yourself happier with your accomodations.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

It's large, it's a chain hotel and it's located close to the ferry terminal. There's not a lot that marks this hotel out from any other, with little personality or personal touches, but it's not far from the centre, spacious and includes a buffet breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I went with my wife and our 2 year old son. The first impression was very good, a huge hotel, clean and good service. When we arrive to our room, over the outside border of the toilet had poo... yes, poo. The tub was very dirty and had many hairs. We complained to the reception and they only said "sorry" and sent a person to clean it.
The next days we saw that the maid was very bad. The first day we used a glass to give milk to our son, and that glass was not cleaned or changed during the 5 days that we stayed there. They never used the vacuum in all these days (we saw the same crumbs day after day). It seems that the cleaning is only stretching the bed.
The hotel is very big, many many rooms, but they only have two people to attend in the reception, so many times we had to wait to much time.
The breakfast was ok, many things to eat, but in short: was very dissapointment and not recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family