“Nice”

Scandic Grand Marina
Ranked #20 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Very good location near the city center and the harbor. The staff was incredibly friendly, flexible and helpful. Room was excellent: a lot of space, comfortable seating area with TV and work desk, nice bedding and great bathroom with bathtub.Breakfast was delicious with fresh fruits, croissants and coffee.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Scandic Grand Marina

Reviewed January 13, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in september, but unfortunately I was disappointed. Scandic hotels are nice in Denmark and I expected the same in Helsinki, but it was disappointing.
The rooms were old and the hotel in general needs an uplift! The breakfast was okay, but the staff in the bar told us to order and pick up our afternoon coffee in the bar, there was no serving at the tables.....what?!? I have never heard of that before!!
Apart from the hotel, Helsinki doesn't have much to offer and see, 1-2 days is enough. We had 4 days and that was too much time in Helsinki.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed January 12, 2012

The hotel was ok but lacked those small details that makes the stay memorable. For example I would have liked to have those small bottles of shampoo and conditioner you usually get in hotels. Here they had a Dux-sope that smelled like man perfume.

I had a bathtub in my room and took a bath one night. When I was done I realized that I couldn't let all the water out at the same time if I didn't want water all over the floor so I had to pour it out slowly.

I slept really bad but I'm not sure if that was because of the beds or because I had a really bad cold at the time. I also got a little bit disturbed of sounds from the corridor, mainly people opening and closing doors.

We had a buffe dinner one of the nights and it was okey but nothing more. I have to say the same about the breakfast buffe.

Wifi worked fine all over the hotel and the rooms were clean and large enough. Some more channels on the tv to chose from wouldn't hurt.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I stayed in this hotel twice in September 2011. Both times my room was filthy. Could not walk bare foot in the room.
There was not enough staff at the reception. During the rush hours you easily had to wait 20 min to get service.
I wouldn't have returned to this hotel the second time, but it was booked for our group. I was really embarashed to take our group from South East Asia to this kind of hotel (the standard of this type of hotels is totally different and service much better).

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We ahd stayed in other hotels in Scandinavia prior to visiting the Scandic Grand Marina. I think we had been spoiled with the great design in the other hotels we stayed in. The lobby here is very nice, the breakfast is great, but the rooms didn't exactly live up tot he rest. This being said, the hotels is nice, it is very clean, and it is in a good location...I would still recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I really enjoyed staying here. The rooms were clean and nice views of the harbour. They put two single beds to make our double which wasn't that comfortable but they were comfy if I didn't try hug my partner and stayed to my own side.

The breakfast buffet was fantastic, so many delicious options. The Christmas buffet was delicious also but rather expensive about $55AU good quality food though.

The only downfall was no kettle in the room as I love my cups of tea and the site advertises 24hour coffee, however that is from a machine in reception for 2€ or 3.30€ from the cafe.

Location was nice, about 10min walk from town center, a few mins to market square and the harbour.

Overall good hotel. We payed about $110AU a night.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed here in November 2011 for three nights. The hotel is within walking distance from the main attractions and the walk is very enjoyable. You also feel very safe in the neighborhood where it is located.

The rooms are of a decent size and they are very clean and they look that they were renovated recently. The bed is ok, but not quite comfortable and in the morning you can hear the persons from above. The bathroom is fine and it is equipped with the hanggers that warm the towels which is was nice to have. One thing that I really like is that there is free wi-fi all over the building.

Staff people are very helpful and the restaurant is fine. Something that I found nice is that the breakfast was included and it has good selection of food to start the day.

I will definitely consider return to this hotel if the price is according to the experience I just had.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo