I spent 4 nights in this old harbour warehouse, turned trendy hotel, to kick off my 1-month summer tour of the Nordic and Scandinavian countries. The Grand Marina is a perfect base for sightseeing in the Finnish capital as it is only a 7-15 min by foot to Kauppatori (Market Square and hub for sightseeing cruises on the water), Uspenski Cathedral, Helsinki Cathedral, and Esplanadi (shopping, tourist information, Kapelli's Café, pedestrian alley/park). It is also within walking distance of two main Ferry/Cruise ship Terminals - the Viking Line (Tallinn & Stockholm - just 2 mins by foot, across the road and to the left of Grand Marina) and the South Port where you can catch a cruise on the Linda Line (high-speed ferry to Tallinn), St. Peter's Line, or the Silja Line (Stockholm only). The central train station is about a 20 min walk. As for the hotel itself, the rooms (including the bathroom) are of a decent size (although some might think them small - but really rooms in Europe are typically more compact than North American ones) and clean with in- room iron (and even a pant press!), hair-dryer, and wifi (make sure reception gives you the access code). Most of the rooms don't really have a view out onto the water (as the hotel isn't in a really tall building and there are warehouses and other establishments and boats across the street blocking the water) but it wasn't an issue for me. The breakfast buffet is more than generous and is served in the restaurant which is airy and has huge windows that let in a lot of natural light - so very pleasant. There is also a café in the lobby which serves light fare such as sandwiches, salads, and baked goods (okay not so light :)) and a little kiosk (Scandic shop) where you can also get snacks and other knick-knacks (pay at reception). For kids (and "kids at heart") there are also game consoles set up in the lobby with comfortable chairs. Computers (with printers) are also set-up in the lobby, along with a nice sitting area with a TV. The reception staff, while not necessarily "warm," are nonetheless polite and efficient, so no real issues there either. All in all, a great hotel to stay in whether for business or pleasure, as a group, family, or solo. And I must say, you can find some really good deals for this Scandic establishment - I got a room with two single beds for 103 CAD/night. At that price, the Grand Marina seems like a steal in my opinion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nice seaside location close to Helsinki city center in an old ware house building from 1912 in Katajanokka, close to Helsinki SkyWheel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com and Agoda so you can book your Scandic Grand Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Scandic Grand Marina Helsinki
- Scandic Grand Marina Hotel Helsinki