“The kids insist on coming here....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vapiano

Vapiano
Ranked #113 of 1,453 Restaurants in Helsinki
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Description: Welcome to VAPIANO! At VAPIANO you enjoy fresh pasta, pizza, antipasti, salad, risotto or our dolci in mediterranean atmosphere. Our Vapiansiti prepare your favourite dish fresh in front of your eyes, especially for you. Extra meat, vegetarian, vegan or glutenfree, your personal preferences are respected during the preparation of the dish. Uncompromised freshness guarantees exceptional taste!
Autrans, France
“The kids insist on coming here....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2014

The family really likes the food you get here. A bit long waiting times (especially if you arrive on the standard Finnish dinner eating time between 17h-18h)... No problems if you arrive a bit later. The whole family (5 persons) finds easily things to eat between the different pasta and pizza choices. Will definitely come again!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fun, if you like that sort of thing...but decent Italian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

Not everyone likes the ordering system at Vapiano - queueing and then waiting - and sometimed watching - while your food is prepared. The end product, however, is fine: nice pizzas and pasta dishes, with generous portions that are good value. I can't really rate the service, as, of course, it's pretty much self service. The staff were friendly and explained the system well, however. The Helsinki branch has a nice view of the railway station square.

North Berwick
“A genuinely traumatising restaurant experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

Possibly the most stressful and unpleasant restaurant experience I have ever had (and I have had a few). The deal goes like this - you pay standard Helsinki restaurant prices for average-standard Italian food, except rather than sit at a table, order dishes and have them served, you have to queue for each dish INDIVIDUALLY for around 15 minutes, while getting abused by unhelpful staff who use their own failings as opportunities to be rude to you. I was honestly wondering at one point if the whole thing was a setup for a prank TV show.

I decide at at first that I will have pasta, but after standing in a non-moving queue for 10 minutes I choose to have pizza instead, because for that you only have to queue to order, not wait while it is cooked. On ordering I am told that they are busy and the pizza will take about 20 minutes. Fair enough I thought, I’ll get a salad in the meantime. Twenty minutes later I have just managed to order my salad (after queuing again) and am waiting at the front of the queue for it to be prepared, when my buzzer goes off for the pizza. So I go to collect the pizza and come back.

The trays have run out (yes, you have to use trays, like in McDonalds or a school canteen) so I have nothing to put my pizza on while it gets cold and I wait for what was supposed to have been my starter to be prepared. I ask the staff member for a tray and she rudely points at the empty tray rack as if it is me rather than her who is being idiotic. On being told that there are (obviously) no trays, she is rudely indifferent. So I have to scavenge for a tray from the front of one of the other queues (involving much negotiation) while trying to juggle the pizza and the salad, the latter having been eventually thrust in my general direction. Oh, and I also have to queue separately for a glass of wine of course. Miraculously, that was fairly short and uneventful.

After finishing most of my food I am talking to one of my friends and finishing my wine when a staff member whips away my tray, without asking if I have finished eating. The electronic card that was swiped to record all of my food choices is still on the tray. So when I go to pay I have no record of what I have had. When I queue (again) to report this, I am treated as if this is my fault/problem - “sorry, if you have “lost” your card you will need to find the individual staff member who took it”… (said with rude indifference, and with no hint of an apology). I am on the point of just walking out when another staff member appears with a card and proceeds to interrogate me in detail about what I ate, as if I am attempting some sort of scam. Again, no apology. I eventually get my bill and have to wait AGAIN to be allowed to pay for it, while yet another staff member is rude to me.

My final and crowing disappointment is emerging from the restaurant to find no TV cameras and grinning TV show host to tell me it had all been a setup. No, this is genuinely being sold (and not cheaply) as an eating experience.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
“Great food high price ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

The food is good. Not as good as other vapianos I have been to around the world. It was also very expensive but that's to be expected in Finland as everything is very expensive.

Switzerland
“Really ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Food excellent but if I need to stand in line Nope. I spent more time waiting food drink then for eating. Never go again unless they improve staffing