“Good but I expected more” 4 of 5 bubbles

Restaurant Muru
Ranked #9 of 1,453 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: European, Central European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Helsinki, Finland
“Good but I expected more”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Muru was nice, excellent service and good food but somehow I expected more. Everybody I know has praised this place so I was a little bit disappointed. There was nothing wrong but nothing special either.

Visited May 2013

• Finnish first
Helsinki, Finland
“Best price-quality in Helsinki”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

After having heard so much good about Muru, we booked a table for a weekday, which was relatively easy (only a few weeks in advance, while weekends are fully booked months ahead).

Muru is not fine dining - it's fine food. The menu changes every now and again, which means that seasonal products are used at their best (very relevant in Finland). As a consequence, the menu looks very simple and short at a first glance, but the plates themselves are extremely well done and interesting in how the ingredients are used - without being needlessly complicated. we are talking about simple, solid dishes, with Finnish ingredients made with a French twist.

The easy-going bistro atmosphere (means also that tables are very close to each other) is complemented by a very attentive and knowleadgable service. The sommelier/waiter/owner answered all questions and gave very good wine recommendations.

In a nutshell - one of the best price-quality restaurants in Helsinki.

• Visited April 2013
Vantaa, Finland
“Best of Helsinki”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

It was our anniversary and I had made the reservation 2 months in advance asking for a nice romantic table for us. We started with drinks and slightly moved forward with first courses.
The service was really good and extremely friendly. All our questions regarding wine and food were answered with details and the speed how we got the food was perfect.
My expectations for the quality of the food were very high and in many cases because of your very high expectations you end up being disappointed. This was exception - my expectations were exceeded and I really enjoyed every course of our 5 course dinner, not to mention the carefully selected wines for each course.
The following day we made our next reservation to the Muru restaurant.

• Visited July 2013
Helsinki, Finland
“Excellent food for good price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great food, cosy atmosphere and price matches the quality very well! Interesting wines. Very popular, have to book well in advance.

• Visited March 2013
Espoo, Finland
“Ok, but not exceptional”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

The food is good here, but I did not find the place exceptional. My main dish was a fish entree, which was great. Everything else, including the service, was good without any significant wow factor. Atmosphere is nice and a bit more towards casual. For the price my expectations were a bit higher than what I received.

• Visited July 2013