“Kayaking Tour Delight”

Natura Viva
Ranked #1 of 85 Tours in Helsinki
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Natura Viva is an outdoor company in Southern Finland. We do kayaking and fatbike tours in the Helsinki area. In the summer our most popular tour is Helsinki by Kayak. We also rent kayaks at our Paddling Center in Eastern Helsinki Fatbike tours are available all year.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had a fantastic day with Outri, one of the co-owners of Natura Viva. Outri was our guide for the "Helsinki by Kayak" tour. The scenery was spectacular, with rocky islands filled with pines and many species of birds and sea life. We had some brief paddling instruction for those new to kayaking and then we headed out. The equipment is all top quality and well maintained. We stopped on a deserted island, where we climbed a short distance to enjoy the views of the surrounding islands and to enjoy a nice lunch, provided by our guide. As a special treat, we were provided with Finnish berry juice made from Lapland arctic berries, served in local Finnish glassware. Three swans just below our lunch spot decided to take off in flight, amazing to watch.

Note regarding our choice and the cost: We arrived in Helsinki on a cruise. The younger members of our family needed a break from all the churches, palces, and art musums of our 3 day stay in St. Petersberg. The thoughtfulness of Outri, the pleasure of the kayaking, the lunch and the scenery were all top notch. This was a perfect antidote for the whole family to enjoy a day in the beautiful outdoors. (I would give Outri 6 stars if I could.)

Our ship was offering a kayak trip for $199 US dollars. Instead, we booked this kayak trip ourselves, online with Natura Viva at a cost of about $87 (65 €). Their van picked us up in town, a short walk from our ship, and we were dropped off at the outdoor market adjacent to the ship terminal. If you have Internet or email access, this is a terrific tour offered by a family owned company and you cannot go wrong with their outstanding itinerary.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

By the end of our 2-week tour of Scandinavia we were very tired of museums and cathedrals. When we saw this tour on a brochure we decided it was high time to do something different. Having never kayaked before, my wife was very apprehensive, but by the end of the activity, she thanked me for basically forcing her to go on it. Much has been said about the beautiful Helsinki archipelago, but I don't think there is a better way to experience it. We saw sights like geese families paddling along, seagulls nesting, things you would be hard-pressed to see in the city. We went under a bridge and between rock formations into small lagoons. Our guide Martti was super friendly, and gave us each a sandwich, biscuit and a drink during our stop on one of the islands. He also provided a special treat which I won't reveal here. You can't go wrong with this tour, an awesome introduction to kayaking if you've never done it before. It really is number 1 here, as the reviews are unfortunately split between two listings.

4  Thank froZenFrappe
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The archipelago kayaking tour was definitely the highlight of our trip to Helsinki. Our guide, Martti, has a true passion for the outdoors and did an excellent job establishing a friendly group dynamic with the others on our tour. We learned a lot about the area’s history and culture. The tour included a delicious bag lunch and homemade buckthorn berry juice - a welcomed addition that gave us the strength to paddle a great distance with ease. Martti brought a camera on the tour and sent us the pictures so that we will be able to cherish this amazing day forever. We highly recommend this tour!

Reviewed June 8, 2013

After humming and hawing about booking the Helsinki by Kayak guided tour, I am now so glad I eventually went through with it! I had a great morning taking in the sights following the excellent guidance of Martti. I am not an experienced paddler (having gone once when I was a pre-teen), and was a little nervous, but that quickly dissipated once we were all set up with our gear and on the water.

A packed lunch was also provided, and I really enjoyed stopping on one of the islands for a break and chatting about Helsinki with Martti, who speaks very highly of the locality and is full of advice on local nature excursions and seems passionate about promoting Finnish design, food and culture.

All of the Natura Viva team were extremely pleasant, all spoke fluent English and run a very professional business. I would happily recommend this activity for anyone visiting Helsinki.

1  Thank Niamh H
Reviewed June 6, 2013

A little way out of Helsinki centre but then you get the better Finnish landscape to kayak in. Really simple to hire - all kit is given and you just go and explore around the islands. Very relaxing way to spend a day.

2  Thank SohoTraveller