“Quirky, Wonderful Hotel, with Excellent Staff”
Review of Scandic Paasi

Scandic Paasi
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Brand new hotel, Close to the Hakaniemi Metro stop. Rooms with various themed decor. Excellent Breakfast buffet area, more like an underground coffee shop. Location good for a walk, with adjoining restaurant from rear courtyard (serves great beers / excellent meatballs).

The stand-out feature of the hotel for us was the reception staff. Kitted out in braces and converse trainers. We had a minor crisis upon departure (left a bag in the taxi, containing home car keys, and valuables), the receptionist (a cute Red headed lady) resolved everything and the taxi met us at Helsinki Airport departures within 25 minutes. She saved the day for us, and we're eternally grateful. Thank you Scandic Paasi.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed in Helsinki only only two days but enjoyed this hotel. Comfortable and quiet room, very nice bathroom, rich breakfast buffet and a free bike! which I rode before breakfast. The only minus is its out of city center location. Its about 20 to 30 minutes walk from the Senate square and from any park.

Room Tip: A Saturday outdoor market with cafes is located in the square a 100 m from the hotel.
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed in the Scandic Paasi with my daughter in July 2014, our first time in Finland. I was a bit concerned when we first arrived that it was going to be too out of the way, particularly since our taxi driver didn't seem to know where it was. This could just have been my poor Finnish pronunciation, however! Anyway, I need not have worried. This hotel is a little outside the main area of Helsinki, but in my opinion, it is all the better for that. It is situated next to some lovely walks around a lake, great for an evening stroll on light summer nights. The main area in central Helsinki gets quite busy at night and it was nice to stroll back to our little bolt hole! The hotel is best described as quirky, quite scandinavian. Our room was a little like staying in Ikea! We found this lovely and it certainly added to the experience of being in another country. We found no problems with cleanliness, clean towels every day, plenty of loo rolls etc.Breakfast was plentiful, with lots of choice and great opportunities to try different foods. The staff were unfailingly helpful, both with questions about the hotel and local area, getting around, and finding the best places to eat. They were all very friendly and greeted us every time we walked past reception. There are loads of trams to get you into the center, but we were advised to walk, about 20 mins. We were so glad we did. Walking in was so easy and pleasant and we came across the Lutharian Cathedral and square with the opera singing busker on the way! We both said we would stay at this hotel again, and are already planning a return trip to see Helsinki at a different time of year. By the way, make sure you visit the Juttutupa bar just round the corner, great choice of food, big portions and lovely relaxed atmosphere. Try the fried liver dish, trust me!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have balconies, not a great view but it was lovely to be able to sit outside on th...
Reviewed July 27, 2014

In most cases you'd describe a hotel grand, great, ok, yeah but no but or a dump. This place can actually make you smile. It has quirky features but without being burlesque. Meet & greet by the front desk and bar is consistently very cheerful. They are either on drugs - or really feel happy at what they do. Suspect the latter.

This is a 1-2 years old place, so they have ironed out any wrinkles but it is all sparkling fresh. The hotel is made up of rooms in several buildings, so the corridors still confused me after two nights. Corridors and also the rooms in my opinion are a bit dimly lit - but again it all worked. This was probably enhanced by the fact that the interiors are a bit on the dark side. Having said that, many may appreciate that you can enjoy the bright Nordic nights everywhere else but in your bedroom.

Their breakfast was fresh and well organised (both the food presentation and keeping the place tidy). Probably one of the best - if not the best - Scandic breakfast rooms I've seen. Here again the staff should be given a medal for not making you feel they "just work here". They seem to do plenty of conferences and events around the block and the breakfast room is also used for catering for those purposes. So the staff knows what they are doing and how to do it well.

Rooms are a bit odd (but I warned you - quirky). Even my more spacious room had not one big space nor two different spaces. Nooks and crannies really. Oddly enough, it still worked well.

They have rooms with a sauna but the sauna I saw was fairly small, two people max. But they have big bathtubs. So if you have a sauna at home, try the tubs. And vice versa I presume.

There is a bar in the lobby and a very inviting lounge space. Food offering is really on the snack side. Yet again I think they have done well. Chain hotels like Scandic do have their chain restaurants. Here they have instead teamed with a well known and very traditional local watering hole in the same block. If your diet is supposed to be salt, butter and taste free you have few (but some) options. Beyond that there is a plethora of traditional Finnish dishes and a good number of pizzas.

All and all, the hotel claims that they have drawn inspiration from the history of the local area. I think that have stayed true to that claim where they can.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2014

The hotel is great. A little outside of mainstream Helsinki in an area known to locals as Red Square because of its trades union movement links. It is very quiet and overlooks a little lake. Tram links into the centre run frequently from 200metres away and drop you at the white church in 10 minutes.

I had a big family room on the fourth floor in July. It pretty much swallowed us up without any trouble although hanging storage is limited in the rooms.

We had a sauna in the bathroom which was pretty cool and the room was funkily decorated. Breakfast is also good although one of the restaurants graanitinna was shut.

Service levels from the reception are great and generally the hotel is much better than you'd expect. It isn't the Haven but nonetheless is very good for families.

The biggest criticism is the air conditioning which in the rooms doesn't really work that well. But it is not often that it is 27c in Helsinki.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights and couldn`t be happier. Friendly staff, large room compared to other hotels we have stayed at(even though it was the cheapest room), awesome design..I loved the black and red walls and the Top Hat Lamps:) The bathroom was lovely, good to have the shower separated with a door so the floor on the rest of the bathroom didn`t get wet. Very nice to have our own balcony and be able to get some fresh air into the room. The AirCondition worked well. And the breakfast was AMAZING! I loved the pancakes and those small pastries with vanilla cream inside. The crispy bacon and scrambled eggs was to die for. There could have been a better selection of cold drinks and the apple/orange juice could have been sweeter for my taste, but all in all it was quite perfect:)
Cleaning could have been a tiny bit better. There was a coffee mug stain on the bathroom sink when we checked in and on the balcony table there was a dirty mug and wineglass from the previous guests. And better dusting in general on the not so obvious spots could be nice..(I work in the cleaning-industry myself so I might be picky;) )
And make sure to throw the bathtowels on the floor if you want new ones. The first days we got new ones even if we hung the used ones on the wall, but then one day we didn`t, so after that we just threw them on the floor and everything worked fine.
We ate in the restaurant in the backyard once and it was quite nice. My pizza was very tasty.
The free WiFi worked excellent!
All in all we were very happy about our stay and would easily recommend the hotel to others!

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Third time at Paasi and our expectations were met once again. The friendliness and sense of customer service of the staff never seizes to amaze me at this place. Extra points to breakfast this time: fresh cherries, nice music and all the organic foods there, well done!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Paasi H, Asiakaspalvelujohtaja at Scandic Paasi, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2014

Dear Saaruli!
Little time has passed since your visited us but it's never too late to say thank you! Thank you once again for you visit to Paasi. It’s so great to hear that you keep our Paasi hotel as one of your favorite ones in Helsinki. Your nice words about our Paasi team will keep us going.
We all know that good and healthy start every morning is important and we are happy to be able to serve that to you.
We are looking forward to your next visit.
Have a nice Autumn!