“Very good!”

Scandic Paasi
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We booked a superior room as a treat. In addition to the room being bigger all films were included and you get a 5 euro voucher to buy something from their little shop. The hotel is decorated in a quirky design. Our room was very nice, clean and the beds was really comfortable. The staff are very friendly, which makes you feel like you can approach them if something was wrong. We did have problems the first night due to a faulty air conditioning making a racket. The next day we were given a new room with a bath, which was better than the room we had with a shower. Helsinki is still quite cold, so being able to soak in a hot bath is lovely. Breakfast was really good with organic porridge, fresh fruit, natural yogurt, bread, jams, warm boiled eggs and all the cooked stuff if that is your thing. They also had a variety of foods that were low lactose and gluten free. What was really nice was when the breakfast server went round the room letting people know that they were going to clear everything away and made sure that we all had what we wanted. The reception is a nice area to have a nightcap and there are three iPads to surf on, but only one seemed to be working. Of course there was free wifi too. The hotel is two stops on the metro from Central station and due to its location opposite a park it is very quiet. I have no hesitations in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: If you are offered a room with a shower or bath I would recommend one with a bath. It has a shower t...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Krista S, General Manager at Scandic Paasi, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear Yorkie1977,
Thank you so much for your recommendation. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed Scandic's superior extra room with it's supplementary benefits. We agree, bath in a room during this time of the year in Helsinki is just lovely. We are happy to offer bathtubs as a treat in 54 rooms in six different room categories. Your nice description of Paasi's breakfast motivated our breakfast team even more. Thank you. We believe that breakfast has great impact on the good start of a new day and therefore we cherish it's details every morning. Hope to see you as our guest soon again!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We've stayed here just for 1 night in a room with balcony and sauna. The hotel is located on quiet square not so far from Central Railroad station (and airport bus stop). Good choice of beer in the lobby bar - but it takes some time for us to find entrance to the restaurant. Breakfast was, as always, excellent (yes, another iPad to choose juice). And only one problem - speed bag is going out of the platform just after two kicks - but I have my pocket screwdriver to fix it on my own :) so far, one of two of my preferred hotels in Helsinki.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Krista S, General Manager at Scandic Paasi, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Stanislav M,
To be one of your preferred hotels in Helsinki - thank you, that sentence means so much to us.
We will have a serious talk with our speed ball in a room, it should not act like that :). We are so sorry about it. And for your next visit we have add more signages to make finding entrance and getting around to two restaurants more easy for you. That is our development area at the moment. Thank you for your nice review. We are looking forward to be able to welcome you soon again to Scandic Paasi!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed at the Scandic Paasi for 4 nights at the end of March and had a great time.

Prior to my arrival I had an issue with payment for the reservation of my room and this was dealt with extremely quickly and professionally by staff at the hotel and within scandic. I also emailed a couple of times with a few questions regarding transportation to and from the airport and was again was given very friendly and helpful responses immediately by staff at reception so this was another plus!

I took the basic room which is a bit small but perfectly adequate if you are only staying a few nights. The safe was large enough to fit a netbook (always a bonus!) and there was ample cupboard space. I quite liked the fact the bathroom/shower and toilet were separate, although I think the shower area could do with an additional light as the light in the main bathroom area doesn't reach! The views from the hotel window were nice (we were on the 6th floor) and it is very quiet. You are right in the middle of town but just far away from the main roads so that there is no noise - the walls also seemed to be pretty thick. We did not hear any of our neighbours etc, as you often do!

The design of the rooms and hotel as a whole is really good and the hotel seems immaculately kept. The maid service seemed good, no problems there and staff at reception were always very polite and helpful.

The breakfast was fantastic and the best I have had for a long time travelling abroad: brilliant selection of both hot and cold - loved the ipad for selecting juices and the decor/design there is great.I didn't buy any drinks from the bar but the lobby area looked nice.

We did eat in the hotel restaurant one night - it was good food, large portions - nothing amazing but considerably cheaper than some of the other restaurants around this part of Helsinki - especially if you are just wanting international food. I would recommend kolme kruunua as a cheap Finnish alternative: very good food and reasonably priced. Its about 10 mins walk from the hotel.

The price of the Scandic Paasi is extremely competitive compared to many other hotels in Helsinki and for the service and quality you get, I think its a real bargain. I would definitely stay here again if in Helsinki, although I would probably upgrade to the larger room (25 euros more a night or thereabouts) as I think the standard size rooms are a little cramped.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the larger rooms if you'd like a bit more space!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Chris H,
Thank you so much for your story, how happy we are to hear that you had a great time. You emphasized so kindly areas we cherish; personal service, breakfast with large selection and Paasi's silence location. Also your room tip for our guests is so important, thank you. We have total of six different room categories to offer and for your next visit we would like to present superior extra or superior plus for you. We would be delighted to have you as our guest soon again. Welcome!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here a couple of nights.

I was definitely impressed by the coziness and modern design of the hotel.
Great attention to detail, delicious breakfast with a whole section dedicated to healthy food.
An iPad-based device to select drinks for breakfast was awesome!
I also liked the gym - it has everything necessary for a routine workout.

The hotel is located within about a 10-minute walk to the Old town.

I cannot evaluate the pricing as it was a pre-paid trip.

My room was a bit small, but very convenient with unbelievably high ceiling.

1  Thank EgorParienko
Krista S, General Manager at Scandic Paasi, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Dear EgorParienko,
We are also so impressed by your nice review, thank you. As a 8 months old new hotel your experience encourages us to pay even greater attention on those details you mentioned. We believe in small details and their power to create you and all our other guests the experience of being yourself and feeling great at Scandic Paasi. Your review gave us extra energy to continue, thank you and warmly welcome again to Helsinki and Scandic Paasi.

Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night. Greeted by Anna at the reception who was extremely pleasant and helpful. The staff in the reception the next day was as pleasant too! Room is very quaintly decorated, somewhat small but not suffocating. Amenties in the room iron, the thingie to iron on... Mini bar, hairdrier and more. Breakfast was great, a wide range of foods to choose from, totally worth it! And an ipad app that manages the juice choices... Very cool! :-) the location is good - it's not right smack in the center, but extremely close and transportation options are great. We had lunch at the Rosso restaurant, very close to the hotel. Excellent, non formal, Italian food overlooking the frozen-water bay.
There were 2 things that bothered me, yet did not tarnish my great experience:1. The windows do not have the option to open... I dont like that.....2. There is a boxer thingie in some of the rooms and much to my regret, the guest next door decided to hit it at 0630 and woke us up :-( I understand it's a theme.. Yet, i wuldnt give insensitive guests the option to use it at their convinience...
Otherwise, great hotel and would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2013
Krista S, General Manager at Scandic Paasi, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Spirit2809,
Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience. You made Anna and the rest of our team extremely happy. We are so sorry about the wake-up call by your neighbour's speed ball experiment, truly sorry! For your next visit we would like to invite you to experience a room with other interior design (at Paasi we have three different) and a private balcony. We have over 40 rooms with balconies, uniq detail among hotels in Helsinki, and one of those rooms might offer you the similiar feeling as open windows. We wish to give you even greater experience next time, and hope to have you as our guest soon again!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Scandic Paasi is a new design hotel in the center, 2 stops from railway station.

It is also close to Kaupunginteatteri and on the waling distance from Olympic stadium, HIFK icehockey hall and Uimastadion olympic size outdoor pool.

There are also lot of restaurants around: from Graniittilinna and Juttutupa to Silvoplee, the best vegetarian in town. Next door sushi restaurant is decent and both in Kallio and Kruununhaka - which ever direction you choose to go - there are lot of other options.

Traffic connections are excellent. The nearest metro station is almost around the block and one of the busiest tram line hubs is even closer. You can easily get almost anywhere in town with public transportation, which you can also pay with your mobile.

If you arrive with your own car, in most of the cases you find easily a public parking just outside of hotel.

Due to the very specific location, the rooms are extremely quiet. The service is friendly and attentive, small bar cozy and well equipped and breakfast generous+healthy.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I stayed on 6th floor - the room had most greatest view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Krista S, General Manager at Scandic Paasi, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Jukka L,
Your post title delights us greatly and gives to our team a huge amount of extra energy. Thank you so much! We appreciate your comprehensive describtion highly and your recommendation means a lot to us. We hope to have you as our guest so many times in the future!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I spent only one night at Scandic Paasi Hotel in Helsinki for a business trip. Even though I did not try all all the facilities and stayed for a very short period, I have a very good overall impression:
- room: very modern and clean, very nice and modern bathroom. Very quiet you cannot hear any noise. Interesting design with a punching bag. Maybe a bit dark some extra lights (in the bathroom) could be nice.
- staff: friendly and helpful (booked a cab for me)
- breakfast: the usual, correct a bit better than average
- restaurant: I also tried the restaurant attached to it for dinner. The food was average so perfect if you want something quick and closeby otherwise maybe try something else.
- facilities: N/A

On the other hand, I do not know about the price, nor if the location is very central but the quality was excellent...

Dear LeCacoin,
Thank you so much for sharing your positive impression on your first business trip to Scandic Paasi. We are so happy to read that Paasi's quality was excellent on your mind. We have many business travellers as our guest during the weekdays. Our sincere desire is to develop Scandic Paasi's services in order to give you, and other business travellers, the luxury of being yourself and feeling great with us on every visit, especially on those days when business trips seems hard and demanding. We are here for you. We hope to see you many times as our guest! Warmly welcome again!