“Very fun and colorful hotel :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Scandic Paasi

Scandic Paasi
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersGold level
Tampere, Finland
“Very fun and colorful hotel :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed two nights in this quit new hotel in Hakaniemi. It was raining heavily when I checked in, and I must say, what a lovely and fun surprise the lobby was!! So much colours and interesting details, I could have been just stand and stare whole thing for minutes!! :) Also a girl (I think she was Ella) in reception was just adorable and so friendly! I was early, and I thought to put my luggage to a luggage room, but she offered me a room right away! I asked for a room with bath tub, and so I ended up to a 3rd floor room with a nice small balcony! Room itself was really small, actually for two people it was really tiny.. For example there was only few hangers for clothes, so I had to keep our clothes around room.. But it did not matter. Room was very high and had also nice details, for example fun lights, in a shape of silk hat! Bath room was beautiful, neutral colors and had a comfortable bath tub. Breakfast was very versatile, there was many options to eat. Also I think hotel has a very good location, it is just few minutes nice walk to city. For example Ateneum and all good shopping areas! So over all, I can recommend this hotel for people who like a little bit different style of hotels! :D

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Santsu74

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Scandic Paasi feels like a luxury retreat in the otherwise perhaps not-so-luxurious area of Hakaniemi. The lobby is colorful and stylish, definitely worth checking out for drinks if you're in the area. The spot has been a circus school in the 19th century and Scandic Paasi has successfully used that as inspiration in the interior design. The rooms and corridors are quite dark but on a rainy friday night in September I didn't mind at all. There was a separate toilet and bathroom in our room and a nice balcony too. All materials seemed to be of very nice quality and I would compare Scandic Paasi to any good Design Hotel in the world!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sanna M
Krista S, General Manager at Scandic Paasi, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Hi Sanna M,
Thank you for your nice and friendly words about Scandic Paasi. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you soon again as our guest!
Stockholm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed in one of the room with circus theme - 1920 i believe. It was a beatiful room (where can I get that wallpaper?) and I had a real good nights sleep. Too bad that the hotel doesn't have Scandics meeting concept with taste break.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank dreamnin
Dear dremnin,
How happy we are to hear that you liked your room and the wallpaper :). That wallpaper was specially designed only for our hotel as an honor for famous wallpaper factory, which was operating in old days (1850-1887) at right next to the site of current Scandic Paasi Hotel. The characters based on the various stories of Scandic Paasi are liven up the wallpaper in a beautiful way. If we are one day going to produce that wallpaper more, you will be the first one to get it :). Thank you so much for your message and hope to meet you again at our hotel.
Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

There's a good pub around the corner from the hotel near the water. The walk to the train station passes by the botanical gardens. All-in-all the neighbourhood is interesting and attractive. The hotel is a bit of a disappointment however: corridors and rooms are dark and a little claustrophobic. Windows don't open and the air conditioning system did not bring in much fresh air. The staff were friendly and apologetic, but there was not much they could do to help with air quality. Breakfast was very good. I might stay again, but it would not be my first choice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank RWGMontreal
Krista S, General Manager at Scandic Paasi, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear RWG Montreal,
We are so happy to hear you liked our neighborhood. It's history is also very interesting. Our interior design was inspired by historical personalities and fascinating events of beautiful Siltasaari area. Two other room themes represent lighter atmosphere than the one you experienced this time. We would be so delighted to have you as our guest in the future and invite you to try other rooms. We are truly sorry about your bad experience conserning aircondition system in the room. And thank you so much for your feedback. We have now prepared written instructions for use of aircondition. We hope that instructions would help you to change the right temperature of air more easily. Thank you so much and hope to meet you again at Scandic Paasi :)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Brand new hotel near the tram line, a department store, a grocery store, and several restaurants. Despite only being open for a week everything from check in to check out went smoothly. The staff were well trained and very helpful.
Hopefully the minibar will be installed by the time we return next year.
Our room was large with a real king size bed (rare in Europe). The lighting was a little underwhelming in part due to the walls and floor being black. The bathroom was large with a separate room for the toilet/bidet.
The gym was well equipped but there was no sauna. The 5 or so bicycles they had available for guests were all taken both days I tried to use them.
The breakfast was plentiful with a large variety of foods, from scrambled eggs to yogurt. Fresh OJ would have been nice but I made up for it with the herring and smoked salmon.The two restaurants attached to the hotel were both worth a visit. One is a pub, Juttutupa, and the other a high end business restaurant. We also had a tasty pizza one night from restaurant da Vinci nearby.
It is more than a 20 minute nice walk into the center of town with all of the tourist activities. The tram line is just around the corner and for just 7 Euros/ day you have unlimited use of the trams, buses, and subway. I bought a day pass from the TI in town and toured all over the city from tram 7B.
One thing to take into account is the lack of parking near the hotel. They don't have a garage or any spaces dedicated to the hotel. Most of the spots are only 2-4 hour and we had a hard time finding an overnight spot.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Basedinbarca
Stockholm
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

....but the pictures lie, its just re-furbished. Fair enough, but what appears to be a 2012 hotel is a relic from the 80s. Rooms painted black with poor lightning is a challenge. Breakfast at Scandic is always the best however. All over a good enough experience (for a busness traveller only looking for bed, breakfast and a shower. Big plus for the iron/board in the room!)

Room Tip: ask for a not so dark room....and you'll be able to locate the switch!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank StockholmBean
Dear Stockholm Bean,
Your words "breakfast at Scandic is always the best" sounds lovely. Thank you! We promise to put on effort on breakfast with our hearts, each and every morning :). Thank you!
Scandic Paasi's 170 rooms with three different interior design themes are also located in three different buildings; one from 1920's, one from 1950's and the third building is brand new. Architects designed and found out ways to link these historical buildings together in a exceptional way. We are taking new pictures now when everything is ready and replacing architects image pictures. We are looking forward to present new pictures soon :)
Pori
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel opened about a week before we stayed. The decor of both the rooms and the hotel itself is really neat. It reminded me of the 20s and 30s but with a modern twist. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, and seemed happy to assist with anything we needed. My Superior Plus room was very spacious and welcoming, though my TV didn't work. However, the front desk seemed eager to rectify the situation by giving me a new room, but i declined(it's only TV).

In some ways, though, i feel like they may have opened too soon. My room was without a mini bar, and the restaurant situation was a little confusing. Also, breakfast in the morning wasn't as good as Scandic breakfasts usually are. The orange juice wasn't freshly squeezed and pretty much looked and tasted like orangey sugar water. There was, however, a LOT of food to choose from, which was nice.

Overall, I slept well, my room was quiet, and I was comfortable. None of the issues I had weren't things that can easily be fixed, so I'd definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are very..small, and not very "homey". my mother stayed in one and said...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Felicia P
Krista S, General Manager at Scandic Paasi, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Felicia P.,
We are so very glad to hear that you liked your room. Interior theme in that room is called "spectacular". Two other themes at our hotel are "leisure" and "conscious". Thank you so much for your comments for development areas. Please forgive us those flaws. We will put them in better condition quickly :). We really hope to see you soon again as our guest at Scandic Paasi. You are so welcome!