“A slight stumble, but they made it right”
Review of Restaurant Konig

Restaurant Konig
Ranked #947 of 1,511 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Weather permitting, in the summertime customers are served all day on the terrace, which opens onto the Mikonkatu pedestrian walkway. The continental atmosphere on K��nig's terrace is great for dining at any time of the day.
Lohja, Finland
“A slight stumble, but they made it right”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We had a Groupon. Most of the time here in Finland, that is not always a good thing (as we're finding out). But we arrived, and were seated at first in the middle of a busy aisle, but when I asked to sit elsewhere, we were give a semi-booth (1/2 bench w/ chair), that had been reserved for non-show reservation. We had reservation too btw.
We were told about our pre-fix menu; smoky reindeer soup (awesome), choice of chateaubriand or Arctic char. We decide to each get one, and then share (as my hubby and I often do). But as is sometimes the case....his meal ended up being the better choice. Tasty, tender beef, seasoned well, and beautiful on plate. Mine looked as boring on the plate, as it tasted, and I asked the acting manager if I could switch. At first he made me explain in fair detail, what the problem was, and I thought he was actually going to make me keep it. Seems as though Finns don't send food back, or it is not a common occurrence here. But being a well-travelled American, that believes in exercising her Consumer rights, I told him it had no seasoning, and was a bland as milk. I asked what could be done? and we opted to switch to the beef. He seemed to be trying to disuade me by saying it would take a while to cook. I said "No worries, that is fine, because I sure am NOT going to eat this fish."
The wait was short, and the new meal arrived in time to enjoy while my husband was still finishing his. It was EXCELLENT. I told the manager thank you, and that all was right with the world again.
Desert came...and was yummy sort of souffle with ice-cream, and some honey type sauce.
All in all, a very good meal. We even talked about returning sans Groupon, and would be willing to pay full fare. Lesson here: Don't feel you have to eat something that you don't like.....you are paying for it.

• Visited March 2013

• Finnish first
Helsinki, Finland
“Good food with exceptional service”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is conveniently located bar/restaurant in the heart of Helsinki. I had a late night dinner with my friends on their summer terrace. All the food was very good with nice portions. The service was exceptionally good and smooth. Inside the restaurant looked nice and very cozy. Restrooms were clean. Behind the restaurant they have a famous area with other nearby bars for live music and wild parties. I could not ask for more from a nice meeting point on down town of Helsinki.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Jan H
Melbourne
“Good experience in the heart of Helsinki”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Konig serves fairly traditional local fare - which means fairly stodgy food to get people through the cold months of the year - but with a fine dining twist.

New potatoes served in a wooden box was a tasty novelty, reindeer with cauliflower puree and summer berry coulis, beetroot and onion soup - everything you could hope for to warm your belly, washed down with a massive stein of Olvi III and a glass of red.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank TheEscapeGoat
DC
“Excellent lunch stop”
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Great service, good food at a very decent price, a range of nice local beers available. Laid back atmosphere with room for a pram at some tables.

Finland
“Good Caesar Salad”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Almost last warm evenings out in Finland my friends and I went to eat in Königs terrace. It took a while before we got any service. But when that nice guy arrived everything was so fine. Even young guy he was lovely and served us smoothly.

Food in König has always been good. I chose the Chicken Caesar Salad which I have eaten there over 10 years. Always so good. Not too big, not too small dish, simply delicious.

Inside there is two floors with enough tables to sit. Atmosphere is nice and cozy.

And naturally there is this famous outside area with live music. In summers it is crowded almost every night. Bands start to play around 9-10 p.m. Drinks are usually professionally made so you get your favorite cocktail as you like it best.

• Visited August 2012