“Anonymous hotel with poor service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti

Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti
Ranked #37 of 63 Hotels in Helsinki
Brussels, Belgium
“Anonymous hotel with poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

This hotel certainly isn't an architectural masterpiece but things don't get better inside. Very slow check in and my check in was interrupted as the member of staff decided to sell another guest a cup of coffee. The staff training level must be very low. There is a very gloomy atmosphere and lifts that take for ever to come. I would never choose to return.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I spent 2 nights in this Very Basic 3*, needs updating badly. Great location easy to walk or get public transport. It was Very Warm and they hadn't turned on the AC for the season yet. Good breakfast buffet included in rate. Very quiet on my inside room, but no windows to outside and no AC so it made for warm sleeping.

El Jadida, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

It's a bit old, it might have a few scuffs and scratches - but it's got character.

I'd spent 2 nights previously in a soulless American chain hotel nearby as the Presidentti had no availability for those nights and I hated it.

I love the Sokos hotels for their, well, Finnishness! This one must have been built when there was no thought that the huge reception space was a "waste" and could have been used for shops or more rooms.

I have always found the rooms to be absolutely spotless and this time was no exception. Free WiFi and a good, free breakfast, neither of which I got from the wretched place I stayed at for the other two nights. A decent selection of TV channels. Helpful, if overworked staff. And I love the style in the corridors - painted-over brick walls!

Just another word about the breakfast. I love the fact that they offer some real Finnish food such as Karelian pastries/pies. Pickled herring, good smoked salmon. Loads of different breads. Gluten-free options and lactose-free milk and so on.

The situation is ideal, just up the road from the train and bus station and virtually next to the long-distance coach station and the Kamppi Mall. Walking distance from many of the main sites and places of interest.

I guess it depends in the end what you want. If you feel easy where the hotel will be the same wherever you are in the world, then choose an American chain, even though there might be deficiencies on the premises in any case. If you want something different, then this is the place for you, as it is for me.

1 Thank 549JohnW
Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

I've been in few hotels and here I felt a bit cheated. I made my reservation through phone and my only condition for booking the room was that I can go to sauna on Sunday at 10pm. In the phone they said, "Yeah sure, that's not a problem." Well, when I checked in they said that sauna is impossible to arrange after 10pm, so you can't go there. THANKS!!

Service in general was quite poor and unprofessional. I've been also before in this hotel - but I can promise that this time is my last one here.

Still something good to say, location is right in the center. On the other hand, there is some hotels also right next to this one.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Helsinki hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

3 nights stay in a great location, good value for money, twin room is perfect & overall rating for the room is fab! With free wifi (a must in tdy's world!) & good breakfast, there's no disappointment overall, so it's a definite 5 stars :-)

• Stayed June 2013
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Rooms are generous in size and bed comfortable but air conditioning is ineffective, the mini-bar locked and noise from the outside cafe can be heard 7 floors up with the windows closed.
This can be forgiven as the free internet access is excellent throughout the hotel. What lets the hotel down enormously is the lack of cleanliness both of the room and bathroom. During the five nights I was there, the room was never made properly and on 2 occasions the bathroom was eft unchecked. Again, I can probably live with this but breakfast was a grim selection of over cooked, partially stewed, partly burnt bacon bits, funny tasting fruit salad and some cold meats. Strange to say but the sliced gherkins provided a refreshing zing to the taste buds deflated by the bland scrambled egg. By the fifth morning, I settled for 2 cups of frothy range juice!
It is not all bad though. The lunch was right up my street but this made up for a dull and uninspiring lunch menu.
The staff in reception were pleasant enough and more than helpful when you eventually got their attention. However, they were often swamped with the regularly coach-loads of tourists which invariably meant that queues were exasperatingly long.
It is a shame... A great location let down by tired rooms, tired, boring food and poor cleanliness.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HaniHelsinki, General Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear family_m4n,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am truly sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with everything at our hotel. The lack of cleanliness is a thing that cannot be approved at any case and we have already taken this into consideration and we will really pay more attention to it.

Also we appreciate your comments on our breakfast and food though I am sorry that we did not succeed this time. We do get quite a lot of positive feedback of them as well but I promise we will take your appraisal seriously and do our best to guarantee the quality of the food everyday.
Finally, it is a great delight for me to hear that our staff at the reception has done their best to help you during your stay.

Despite of your negative experiences this time I wish you very welcome to our hotel also in the future when travelling to Helsinki.

Best regards,
Hannele Laurila
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

We arrived in the afternoon of a friday and after a long queue to check in I was looking for the sauna and pool to relax before enjoying the evening....in the web site they promise "Sokos Hotel Presidentti is here to help you enjoy life. After unpacking and freshening up in your cozy room, relax in the gentle heat of the sauna. Or have a refreshing swim in the pool. " and here the surprise:

the pool & sauna opening time in the weekend is 6,30 to 10 am!!! No mistakes, it is AM not PM!

I really felt I was caught in a tourist trap, in the morning at 9 I preferred the breakfast which also closes at 10.

Other source of disappointment was some mechanical noise which waked us up many times during the night. In addition the shower would have not been really accessible to an elder person...

Even if I will not came back here, I think also some good point should be mentioned for a complete review, in case you are finding a very good offer for this hotel and you are not looking forward a sauna&pool for relax:
it is really central
the rooms are rather large
the breakfast is really good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank francifra
Presidentti, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Francifra,
Thank you for your stay in Sokos Hotel Presidentti and this feedback
Morning sauna and swimming pool is open 3,5 hours every day for our hotel guests. Evening sauna is also available from Monday till Thursday free of charge. On weekends they are reserved for private sauna parties due to high demand and then they are not always suitable for hotel guests. We will refine this presentation of the text content regarding sauna on our website.
I was happy to read your positive comments even this lack of evening sauna was disappointment for you.
Wishing you welcome again to our hotel in a future.
With kind regards,