All reviewsesplanade parksmall hotelpriced hotelmain esplanadetwo nightsminute walkhot and cold foodcoffee makermarket squaretrain stationwithin walking distancestayed here for one nightnice breakfastfree wifishopping areaexcellent locationconvenient location
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Recomended by a colleague we chose this hotel for a business trip. The hotel is a bit hidden in a back yard, but don´t be sceptical - it is a really nice hotel. Big rooms and to my understanding they all look a bit different. No real bar in the lobby but friendly service from the reception if you need anything. Due being in the backyard very calm.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Previous physical descriptions of this hotel are accurate so I will not elaborate.

To sum it up, the location is good (walkable distance to the train station if your suitcases are not too heavy), by the Esplanade. Breakfast is excellent.

The hotel caters to a mature clientele. If you are under 45, you may end up occupying the worst rooms of the hotel (stained carpet, small, moldy air conditioner, etc.). Such was our room and for an extended stay of more than a week, it was quite uncomfortable.

The internet is not free (10 euros per day in Finland of all places!). The sauna is not complimentary either (10 euros as well), which is quite unusual for Finland.

The older male receptionist, with blonde hair, was unbelievable rude to me. We arrived by train from Savonlinna and probably did not look our best having dragged our suitcases to the hotel, and that gave him the right to pull the passport out of my hand to check if I knew how to write the passport number on the form you have to fill out upon check-in or to check my identity even though the hotel was pre-paid. We spent over four weeks in Finland in various hotels and, while the passport number was always a requirement on forms, no one even asked to look at it, least of all pull it out of my hand as if in disbelief that I held a valid Canadian passport. Subsequently, he was rude to me and to my husband on a number of occasions even though we did our best to say speak the few words of Finnish we knew so as not to sound too rude.

I would definitely not recommend this hotel nor will I return here in our future trips.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vovelle1789
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Great hotel in the very city center. Beds are perfect, rooms not too big but silent and breakfast is very good however a bit crowded during peak time around 9am. If travelling by car be careful with parking. The hotel has only five places and the parking nearby is extremely expensive (around 60 euro a day except sunday). Hint: at ten minutes walk you will find zone 3 parking for only 1 euro/hour and free in the night so max 10 euro /day. Best place is just behind the Silja Olympia terminal with unlimited time zone 3 parking.
Next to the hotel is popular club Kaarle XII. Open from thursday-saturday 9-4. No single problem with it: it's very handy if you visit the city for nightlife.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Johan C
Reviewed July 12, 2010

This hotel is amazing for the price. We paid $100 a night for a twin room with bathroom and breakfast. The room wasn't huge but it had two twin beds, a lounge, a desk, flat screen telly and the most comfortable beds in Europe! The breakfast was excellent and there was tea and coffee and cookies available all day for free. The location is so central - we could walk everywhere and the serv ice was great. What a find in an otherwise expensive city. The supermarket is just up the road 50 metres and there are numerous take-aways in walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank MelJamAus
Reviewed October 18, 2009

I stayed here two nights as part of a tour (25 people), and I thought it was excellent. I had a room on the 5th floor, there is a tiny but speedy elevator. The room was beautiful, everything seemed very new! Nice light hardwood floors, lots of newer IKEA-like wood furnishings. My room wasn't huge but was spacious, a double bed, desk and chair, another chair, dresser, and TV stand. Lots of storage space, small refrigerator.
Bathroom was very nice, good sized.
I had a corner room, with a nice view of the courtyard and other buildings, so my room was quite bright. The hotel is set back off the street slightly so it was very quiet.

Had the breakfast buffet two mornings, and it was good, nice selection, typical european breakfast buffet.
The hotel staff were very friendly, and helpfull, and spoke excellent english.

• Stayed: September 2009