“Best bed ever?”

Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Helsinki
Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The hotel´s location is great as it is close to the central station and in walking distance from most attractions in Helsinki. It has a very modern, but at the same time warm design: instead of the annoying "Do not disturb" hanger there´s a switch in the room that changes the color of the room number, indicating if you want the room to be cleaned or not.
The room itself was also very modern, but the design was much warmer compared to other Radisson hotels I´ve stayed in. The bed was fantastic (even though it was a twin) and I cannot remember staying in a hotel with a better bed.
Only negative I can say is that the queue to the breakfast room was very long and there was only one person showing the guests to their tables, meaning that I had to wait a bit until being seated. And the coffee was served when I was about to leave the breakfast room.

Room Tip: I stayed at the third floor (no. 307) facing a quiet street.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank TravelingBeen
Heikki P, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Helsinki, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear TravelingBeen,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

It is great to hear that after renovating all our rooms the new design is warmly welcomed and liked by our guests. With the new style we wanted to bring our modern Finnish design together with the colourful past of our historical hotel building.

The beds are designed together with a Finnish company called Finlayson. We also have a wide selection of different kinds of pillows and blankets so that each guest can enjoy a good night's sleep and feel well rested on the next day.

However, I am so sorry for the rush-hour in the breakfast room. At times it can get quite busy there but we are working to find more efficient ways to work and make sure no one would need to wait for too long.

Welcome back to Helsinki and of course to The Plaza Hotel - Happy New Year 2014!

With Best Regards,

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Helsinki

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Very central location and very modern hotel. I cannot think of anything missing, though I must say they should improve their cleaning. The floor in my shower was wet when I arrived in the evening and there were several black hairs. That's just not good enough for this type of hotel, but it didn't ruin my overall experience.

Bed was extremely comfy, the products in the bathroom were of high quality and the breakfast has a very wide selection.

I can recommend eating at the nearby Pastis

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DR1910

Dear DR1910

Thank you for your kind review. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay even if the housekeeping couldn't provide you the quality that is definitely demanded.

I will discuss this matter with out Housekeeping Manager and bring your message to him. It is important for us to improve our service in all levels and for this all the feedback is helpful.

I am happy you found our beds comfortable. On your next stay you can even use our Blu Dreams Menu to choose the pillow and blanket that are exactly to your liking.

Hopefully we will see you in Plaza again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in the summer of 2013 with my wife, one year old kid and my mother-in-law who had her own room. The hotel was amazing and service top notch. Hotel was recently renovated and we loved the design. Location of the hotel couldn´t be better - it´s right in the middle of Helsinki and there is two minutes walk to the subway, railway and busstations. Breakfast and the hotel a la carte restaurant were great - good healthy food. Hotel sauna was good too and seemed like not too many people used it so it was not crowded. Extra points for the great service: employees (from the cook to the manager) help us kindly everytime we needed to heat food for the baby. Even though microwave in the room or in the corridor would have been even better so we wouldn´t have had to bother them. One more thing I have to mention is the beds and pillows. They have really invested in them. You can choose your own pillow that suits your sleeping position and taste from a large selection. My mother-in-law has a serious asthma and they gave her anti-allergic blanket and pillow. She said that she had never slept so well - not even in her home.

One thing I´d like to complain was that even though they had a nice little area for kids there was not much else for them. So maybe this isn´t the first choice for families even though the location near center and transportation is huge bonus when traveling with small children.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Joni P

Dear Joni P,

Thank you for your amazing and warm review of Plaza. It is wonderful to read feedbacks like yours. And, though, reading good comments is always nice it is really through the ideas from the guests that we can try to make our service better.

It is lovely to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and the design there. Half our rooms are furnished and decorated in "Modern-style" while the other half is in "Classical-style. On your next visit perhaps you would like to try the one you maybe haven't seen yet.

Sleeping is such an important part of a pleasant stay that we have done our best to make sure our guests can enjoy a good night's sleep. I'm delighted to hear how perfectly this became true with your Mother-in-law. The beds and all the bedding are designed together with Finlayson.

The summer time being our busiest time with families we always try to come up with something nice for the children as well. But perhaps it is needed that we will still try to provide them something more. Thank you for brining this to our notion.

We wish that we can see you soon back at Plaza - Happy New Year 2014 to you and your family!

With warm regards,

Reviewed November 30, 2013

This hotel was fully renovated just a moment ago and you can see it immediately when you step in. Rooms are modern and half of them Scandinavian style and half "american style". Location is great and service has been always very nice and helpful.

It also used to have a pretty good restaurant but the current one is far from that.

If you arrive with a car prepare to walk some time or spend time to find a free spot from the street.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Founexgefi,

Thank you for taking time to write your kind review about Plaza.

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and our New style as well. While renovationg all the rooms we wanted to bring out the best sides or modern Finnish design but also let the wonderful history of our building to live on. And so the rooms are devided into "Modern-style" and "Classical-style" while both of course are equipped with the latest technology.

I am so sorry to hear that our Restaurant didn't live up to your expectations. I will send your message to our Restaurant Manager as well so we can take your feedback into consideration, as we are thriwing to make our Restaurant better with all the feedback we get.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 28, 2013

This is really a great hotel, located well, very clean and nice and friendly staff. Free wifi in room is a definite thumbs up.
Minor downside - there are at least 3 Radisson Blu in Helsinki; something not very clear to a first-timer when you check in - you may land up in the wrong Radisson when you return after a night out! I found this the hard way and it is no fun trudging a few more kilometers in the freezing night to the right Radisson!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Aven734,

Thank you for your wonderful words about our hotel. It is a delight to read you have enjoyed your stay at Plaza.

However, you are right about the fact that three hotels from the same company can cause some confusion, especially on the first time when the city is not that familiar to the guests yet.
I am sorry to hear you had to find this out on a cold winter night. But definitely I believe that was a one time mishap and I hope it didn't scare you off from staying as our guest again.

You are most welcome to Plaza at anytime your travelling brings you to Finland again

with best regards,

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Clean, well-appointed hotel with nice rooms, free wifi, helpful staff, and in the most ridiculously convenient location - just steps from the main railway station and bus depot to the airport. The main shopping area is just a 5 minute walk away - including Stockmann, Marimekko, and more - and the markets and ferries to Suomenlinna are less than 15 minutes away by foot. Overall, a great spot in Helsinki.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank phillipdavid

Dear Phillipdavid

Thank you for your kind review. It is great to notice you found our rooms and staff good. And of course while planning your stay in Helsinki a free wifi connection is very helpful.

I hope you had time to explore Helsinki while staying at Plaza. The hotel, like you mentioned, really is well located when it comes to sightseeing and shopping. And an easy access to the airport is convenient of course.

Wishing you a happy New Year 2014 and hopefullywe will see you back at Plaza soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 23, 2013

This was my second trip to Helsinki in about six months last time I stayed here was very pleasant, and on this occasion I arrived later due to flight delays at 01:00 in the morning. This was not a problem at all and I was greeted with great courtesy and friendliness by the reception team despite the time. They happily booked a taxi and made all the arrangements I needed for the next morning.

Breakfast here is quite excellent with a wide choice, the warm smoked salmon is worth getting out of bed for. Whilst I got no time at all to explore I did find the location very central and would visit again.

Room Tip: I have only stayed on the 7th floor both rooms were good with very comfortable seats if only every h...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MrSofthreebridges

Dear Mrsofthreebridges

Thank you for your wonderful review. It is always a joy to read positive comments and it is our goal to make our guests feel welcome regardless the time of arrival.

I am also happy to hear you had time to enjoy our Super Breakfast. While serving many of the worldwide breakfast favourites we also try to make our breakfast selection interesting with adding some Finnish flavours, like the salmon you mentioned.

On behalf of our Plaza Team I wish you pleasant New Year 2014!

Hope to see you soon back at Plaza!

With warm regards,