“Modern hotel steps from the train station”

Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Helsinki
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Great hotel. Clean, modern, quiet. One of the largest flat screen tvs I've ever seen in a hotel room. Breakfast was amazing. So much variety and great quality. Location was very convenient. Steps from the train station. Easy bus to the airport and about a 10 minute walk from the harbor. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,227)

Reviewed June 14, 2013

My little son and I only stayed at this hotel a night, but the impressions are the best.The design and comfort are beyond all praises. And those old photos of past times in the corridors are really touchig.The location is in the very centre, but in a quiet street at the same time. Very close to the railway station, and we travelled by train. Breakfast is various and delicious.The staff at the reception are very friendly and helpful. Our staying was extended till 18.00 pm absolutely free of charge. We couldn't see any faults. When we come back to Helsinki, we'll choose the same.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed here with colleagues for one night on a short business trip. We stayed at the sister hotel in Turku the night before and this hotel was even better. The room was spacious in typical Scandinavian style - the bed was huge with big comfy pillows and a huge TV adorned the opposite wall. I was on the 7th floor with roof top level views, although all I could see was scaffolding from the building opposite. The bathroom had plenty of room for my toiletries bag etc, and a good sized bath with 'mood' lighting so that just the light above the bath came on for a really relaxing soak in the bath. Breakfast was included and this was also very good - plenty of choice of hot and cold foods and waiter service for hot drinks. I won't include dinner in the hotel in my rating as this would bring it crashing down. We had to wait half an hour for a table when the restaurant wasn't even full, the electronic tablets as menus were a nightmare and the food wasn't exactly worth the wait - but that is an aside. Overall bed and breakfast here is well worth it and the hotel has a good central location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Overall a good hotel but with some room for improvement.

Positives :
- Super efficient and friendly staff at the front desk, restaurant and bar. We checked in at 11pm when the kitchen was about to close. The gentleman at the front desk walked us to the kitchen immediately and helped us order our dinner that was delivered to the room promptly. We also requested for a late checkout which was granted free of charge.
- Nice location close to all the busy and lively neighborhoods
- Decent rooms. We went for the standard. The bathroom was a bit cramped though.
- Good breakfast

Areas of improvement:
- The hotels seems to be a bit short staffed. The major pain point was that we had to try atleast 5-6 times every time before someone responded to our call on one-touch-service either for room service, housekeeping, queries etc which was very frustrating.
- On the third day of our stay the room was not cleaned properly. We found dishes from the previous evening uncleared and the bathroom also wasn't attended to. After a few attempts from the room phone, we finally managed to speak to sometime but no one from housekeeping showed up for another 30 min. Finally I had to go downstairs and request again which was not ideal.

But for the inability to immediately reach someone when required, this hotel scores well on all other counts.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights.

You will feel at home.

Excellent location.

Nice and very clean rooms. Comfortable beds. Bed sheets are high quality.

Rich breakfast.

Friendly personnel.

Good price.

Quiet area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I gave this hotel five stars because it is the best hotel I have stayed in the last year. Hotel has gone through significant reconstruction and new design. Hotel offers excellent room design and space allocation. New lounge area is one of the best lounges I have seen in last five years. Hotel is very good for business and caters all business needs very well. Simultaneously hotel is really comfortable and relaxing. Only small minus goes for those ipad menus used in the lounge. Location of the hotel is excellent for tourists.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This was a wonderful hotel in a great location. I could walk to almost all attractions in Helsinki and those that were a bit too far the trams, trains and buses were only right outside the door, however for being in the middle of a city there was also peace and quiet. There is a lovely park right behind the hotel and my room faced an inner courtyard so while I didn't have a view, I also had complete quiet at night to sleep. The breakfast was amazing with unlimited choices. The only issue was with their business center. The printer was out of order for the whole five days that I was there. I couldn't print the tickets and boarding passes that I needed. Overall though a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family