“Good hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Good hotel”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a few times in the past month for business. It is undergoing refurbishment but this doesnt impact your stay in any way. The first time I stayed I was upgraded to a exec room and this was fabulous, the refurbed rooms are really modern, bright and spacious. The last 2 times I've been in non exec rooms but I have to say they really have been as good decor wise and the bed / sitting area are the same - the main change is the lack of TV in the bathroom mirror (!) and the nescafe coffee machine is only in the exec room.
With the exec room you also get access to the VIP lounge, compared to all the other hotels exec lounges this one is amazing in terms of decor and ambience - there are little booths with comfy sofas and private TV's, great for relaxing or for working with colleagues.
Breakfast has virtually everything you would need, great choice for all tastes. If you are offered a shot of juice then give it a go - it's sharp but it wakes you up for the day!
The only downside with the hotel is the restaraunt and the slow levels of service and technology gone too far where they want you to order via an ipad type devise but it doesnt work too well yet. But the hotels in a great location so there isnt any need to stay in to eat.

Room Tip: Refurbished rooms are great, the 6th floor rooms was my favourite but all refurbed rooms are to a hi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Petri_Uronen, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Helsinki, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice review.

It´s delighted to hear you liked our new renovated rooms as well our Plaza Business Lounge. Lounge is for guests staying in Business Class rooms and in Suites. We here think it´s like your own private livingroom.

Also I want to thank you for your comments of our restaurant. There is some improvement to be done and we have already done alot.

I truly hope that you´ll have a change to visit us soon again.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Celje, Slovenia
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We traveled in august 2009 and booked this hotel because of a tempting online promotion rate. The location is as central as it gets, close to main sights and close to public transportation stops. Despite the central location the rooms were a haven of tranquility at night, beds and bedding were the best. We were given a room for the physically disabled (the front desk staff member was being very apologetic about that) which only meant a bigger room and bathroom. Breakfast buffet was fantastic, a selection of local breads and delicacies was a nice touch.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Petri_Uronen, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Helsinki, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you kindly for your great review.

The whole Plaza hotel has gone through total change after your stay. We have renovated all rooms, meeting facilities and opened new restaurant Kitzens and new Bar 7 Blings.

We welcome you to stay here with us again and see our new marvelous facilities.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The hotel lobby is being refurbished, and it looks nice and modern. We had booked a "business class" room, but it was very small and shabby. We upgraded to a suite for 80 Euro more a day, but it was worth it as the suite was far more comfortable. The breakfast was fine - a lot of choices as others had mentioned. We never had a problem finding a table in the morning and did not experience waiting in line. All in all, a pleasant experience. Location is great, everything is in walking distance, our room and bed were extremely comfortable. Staff went beyond their duty to help. Not posh and new, could definitely use re-furbishing. Comfortable bed.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Petri_Uronen, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Helsinki, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Mary C,

Thank you for your kind review.

It´s so nice to hear you enjoyed your stay here with us. Also great to hear our staff went beyond their duty to help you. That´s why we are here for.

Plaza Hotel has been renewed after your stay. At the moment we have new rooms and new food and beverage facilities to serve better our guests needs. You should visist us soon again and see the change.

Once again thank you for your kind review. We do appreciate it alot.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My stay at this hotel was marred by my experience of the breakfast. Our standard room was quiet, stylish, clean and comfortable, especially the beds, with a sitting area, tea and coffee making facilities (plus lovely Marimekko cups and Iittala glasses). Unfortunately we had terrible food poisoning on our second day after eating the scrambled eggs from the hotel breakfast buffet (as we didn't eat anything else all day, there's no doubt) which left us weak and ruined the rest of our trip. Apparently, we weren't the only ones either as we could hear the man next door being ill at the same time. The staff in the breakfast room were rude, supervising us closely and accusing us of stealing food and leaning over our plates to turn over cups and glasses after we said we would prefer to make our own tea instead of being served by our waitress. I complained about the food poisoning to someone at reception who assured me everything at the buffet was fresh but in my experience, it wasn't. The cake was very often dry and the biscuits were soft. This is a real pity because I found the other staff at the hotel very pleasant and helpful and it's certainly a great base to explore Helsinki.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Emily B
Petri_Uronen, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Helsinki, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Emily B.

Thank you for your precious feedback.

I´m happy to hear that you liked our newly renovated rooms with a hint of Finnish design. I’m so sorry that you got ill. We have been studying the case but we didn’t find anything suggesting that the food was bad. In that time there were more than 200 guests staying at the hotel and no one brought up any similar problems. Also our staff eats the same food and we did not get any harms.
I’m truly sorry that that your experience of the service at the breakfast was not that good as it should have been. I will personally go through this with our serving staff. It makes me happy to hear that you have had good service from the other staff of the hotel – I will personally make sure that all our staff members will know the standards of Radisson Blu services.

HELSINKI
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have been in many hotels in Helsinki but it was my first stay at Radisson Blue Plaza. All functioned well and the atmosphere was good. Very nice breakfast restaurant, during my short stay I did not have the chance to have a dinner but probably would have been good as well.

I recommend this hotel to other travellers!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Dear Uutela E,

Thank you so much for your kind review.

It´s so good to hear all functioned well and you liked our atmosphere. We think it´s very good aswell. Hope on your next stay you´ll have time to try our new restaurant Kitzens for dinner. It´s worth to try, I´ll promise.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Overall a great hotel, rooms clean and comfortable and staff helpful and polite but beware the iPad menu.
It's a good concept as you can browse and order through the pad and they bring you food etc. however the menu was not very well laid out.
It was split into all sorts of sections for styles of cooking (Italian, Local, Seafood) instead of the simple, starters > mains > sides > dessert which would have been much clearer and easier to use.
We ordered two mains but one came as a starter (even after we enquired) and we had to re-order a 2nd main. It was sorted out by the staff and discounted from the bill but a better menu would have prevented the confusion.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for time taken to write so kind review.

We are so pleased to here you liked our Plaza Hotel. So nice to hear our renovated rooms are comfortable, that was one of our main goals.

Thank you for your comments according tablet pc, our new electronic menu, in our new restaurant Kitzens. It´s totally new systems in Finland and there is some improvement to be done still. Thank you for your comments, those are taken under consideration.

See you soon again.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Radisson Blu Plaza in Helsinki is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in for the money I paid ($262 for 2 nights). It is centrally located, about a couple of blocks from the train station and very close to many restaurants, museums and shopping areas. Many of the major tourist sites, galleries and museums are within walking distance.

Our room was very quiet, clean, nicely decorated and best of all, the beds, pillows and bedding were absolutely luxurious. The bedding was called Blu Dreams, made by Finlayson Oy, and included an intelligent foam mattress, high-quality down pillows (a lot of them at different firmness) and a very comfy down duvet. They also offer a one Touch service, which allows you to call a number for other offerings, such as earplugs or a foot massager. I didn’t use the service, although when I did try to call the number (looking for the front desk), no one answered. So I am not sure if this really works. But regardless, the bed, room, bathroom and location were exceptional.

I found it quite interesting that there are buttons on the inside of the room for “maid service now” and “do not disturb” that, when selected, change the color of the room number that is projected on the floor in front of each room. Normally blue, the number changes to red or green if you select one of the options above. I thought it was rather clever and much better than the little doorknob signs.

The breakfast, included in the price, was amazing, with many options for people with different appetites. As a fan of fruit, yogurt and granola, I was thrilled with the many options available; on the second morning to my delight, I discovered the Nespresso machine. The breakfast area is so big that I did not notice it along a side wall.

The front desk is somewhat busy – we had a bit of a wait to check in, but it is a fairly big hotel. The customer service was good – one of the front desk agents booked us a restaurant on a busy Friday night and succeeded after trying a few places. Booking and checkout were easy.

I wouldn’t hesitate to stay at the Radisson Blu Plaza again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Petri_Uronen, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Helsinki, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review.

We are so thrilled of our kind feedback. Our consept Blu Dreams means that our guests have a good night sleep, get revived and regain energy for next days. We have received only positive feedback of our beds and sleep experience. Thank you for mentioning Finlayson Oy. They have together with us developed our Blu Dreams consept.

As a part of our aim is to be a very responsible business hotel we get rid of some doorknob signs and used new technology instead. So nice to hear you liked it.

Once again thank you so much for your kind feedback. I truly hope to see you here with us soon again.

Have a great autumn!