“Super Option in Helsinki”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki
Ranked #17 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
New Delhi
“Super Option in Helsinki”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Very good hotel in the heart of Helsinki, the city center is 1.5 kms from the hotel and is a pleasant walk (weather permitting) .... there is a beautiful park opposite the hotel ideal for a leisurely run or walk .... excellent gym and sauna facilities, wi-fi works very well, breakfast is good, tea coffee maker which is missing in the room but as a hotel guest there is tea coffee available complimentary for the guests 24x7 ..... friendly staff and decent sized rooms .... would surely like to stay whenever I am in Helsinki

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Anna K, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Rishiraj_s,

thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay in Crowne Plaza Helsinki. I am so pleased that you liked our hotel and the striving efforts of our staff. I am sorry to hear that the tea/coffee supplies were missing from your room. Next time when you visit us, just give us a call if the coffee making facilities are missing and we will bring it to you.

Once again, thank you for your kind words. We look forward of welcoming you back soon again.

Crowne Plaza Helsinki

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Currently half way though a 2 week stay, the Hotel its self is nice, check in was easy and the staff were pleasant, we have 2 club rooms, in arrival the rooms were clean at first glance but it you look deeper its not as clean as you would hope for and both rooms have maintenance problems, once pointed out to reception they have got them resolved. ( i.e Door handles falling off, shower not working correctly, windows don't shut/lock)

The cleaners spend a max of 5 mins in the room "cleaning" and yes as u walk it it looks like they have been but they miss the little things, ( refilling the tissues, shampoo, pen, chocolate, tea bags) and then its taken them 6 days before they changed the sheets and about 4 to change the towels even when left of the floor. ( as they ask)

The club lounge is very nice, although if the foods run out at breakfast you may wait a while for them to top it up ( if they do)

It has a very nice clean gym and pool area, and can not go wrong with that.

The hotel retrain is very nice staff are good and the food is of good quality, only down side a little limited if staying for a long time.

All the staff have been helpful and polite and you can't get much better. Just needs to have a little more time spent on the things to make it a perfect stay and not just a hotel room.

Room Tip: Try and get a club room on the 9th floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Philip N,

thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve.

We are pleased to hear that you think our staff is helpful and polite. We are sorry that you had some problems during your stay. Gladly you were able to discuss about these matters with our general manager before you checked out.

Once again, thank you for taking time to write to us. We hope to see you soon again in Crowne Plaza Helsinki.

sunshine coast
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Fairly central to shops and museum There is a nice park opposite good for early morning walks. Restaurant on ground floor for all meals. not inspiring atmosphere food ok. rooms average. Felt slightly let down compared to other Crowne Plaza Hotels Would look else where.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank noosasunshine
Anna K, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear noosasunshine,

thank you for your visit at our hotel and for taking time to leave your comments.

I am pleased to hear that you liked the location of our hotel. The park next to us is very nice for walks.

Your comments are very important to us and allow us to improve our service continually. We hope to see you again in Crowne Plaza Helsinki.

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

So.. I hadn't specified a non smoking room so ended up in a smokers one and boy did it stink. The hotel said they couldn't change because the hotel was full which is fair enough. To make matters worse though the room cleanliness wasn't great and the room " cleaning" in the morning was very cursory, consisting of straightening the duvet ( but not pillows) and putting in clean towels. Restaurant was boring and repetitive at breakfast. The only positive was the location as it's a 15 min walk to the center and across from the lake. I shan't be coming back, even to a non smoking room.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Anna K, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Off_shore_rib,

thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to leave your comments.

I am sorry to hear about your issues with the cleaning and that you think our restaurant is boring. I am pleased that you like our location next to the park.

I have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable comments. I have also forwarded these comments to our housekeeping department and to our restaurant.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I stayed there twice in a week - the first time very nice and the second bad.

A fire alarm went off around 3 a.m. and I dashed out of the hotel like crazy. It was still cold outside. I have been travelling in Finland from time to time for almost 20 years and I know Finland is a very nice and safe country. When a fire alarm went off, I believed something very unusual must have happened. I was told it was a false alarm and went back to have some sleep. After an hour, the fire alarm went off again. I ran and I shivered outside again. A false alarm again! The entire night was ruined...

I asked for 50% refund of the room rate for that night because I didn't get any value after 3 a.m. but was turned down by the management. The management did cancel my breakfast bill as a goodwill gesture. But, as a matter of principle, they should have charged me for breakfast and given me the 50% refund.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank C H
Anna K, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear C H,

thank you for writing a comment regarding your stays in Crowne Plaza Helsinki. We are pleased to hear that your first stay was pleasant.

We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience you experienced at our hotel because of these alarms. Alarms were caused by a sudden failure in the system and these alarms informed us that something in the system needed urgent maintenance.

We have taken a note and wish to thank you for your valuable comments. We value you as our guest and hope you will continue to choose our hotel for your future travel needs in Helsinki.

Best regards
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed April 12, 2014

This hotel is from the outset a very interesting hotel. It has a very nice Finnish design and it is a typical landmark. Its big, has an excellent gym, very good rooms and overall feels nice. This is a hotel that should seriously be among the best in the city, but by some reason there is no attention to the service.

On the day of arrival, I went to the reception, only to be greeted by a non smiling trainee that didnt really seem amused. She was obviously also a bit insecure on handling my check in, but its ok not to know everything as a trainee. But, I am surprised that the management has not taught first to smile and communicate well with guests. This should be priority number 1 for trainees.

When I checked in to my good looking room, I decided to take a Fazer chocolate from the minibar. I took a piece in my mouth, and felt that it was soft, hard, tasted very weird and somehow disgusting. I checked the other pieces of the chocolate bar and saw that they were brown, white, light brown etc, in other words spoiled. The expire date was in January 2014, and now its April. I checked the other chocolate bar and it was also expired. And so was the bag of nuts too ?!?! At this point I decided to pay a visit to the reception and tell about the incident. They apologized and blamed housekeeping. And this naturally sounds a bit alarming, as we can expect that other rooms are infected with these expired products. I left the products to the reception and decided to buy my own foods for the nearby shop. The hotel never refilled my minibar with new fresh chocolates and nuts, which I found extremely weird. They just decided to forget the situation. In the morning while checking out, they asked if I had had something from the minibar. I had to tell the story again, and they apologized and blamed the housekeeping again. But thats it.

I can see that the management in this hotel has huge lack of customer attention and it affects the whole staff. The staff should know how to handle situations when things go wrong and see it as an opportunity to prove that the hotel and staff takes their customer relations seriously. Service recovery as a concept is where hotels and service sector shines or dies. As all involved staff in this case acted in the same nonchalant way, I see that this attitude comes from the management. Crowne Plaza chain should know better, especially in these days with social media and tripadvisor where people all over the world can read negative feedback immediately.

When I think of this hotel, I see the piece of chocolate from the minibar. You can enjoy the photo below...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Kai H
Anna K, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Kai H,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to write us a review.

We apologize that there were some expired products in your minibar and that you did not receive service with a smile. Our hotel is proud of its level of service and quality of its products and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into.

Your comments are very important to us and allow us to improve our service continually. We all hope that should your travel plans bring you back to our area, you will give our hotel another try.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stayed here a few times before, this is the first time I've been back here in 3 years. Had a couple of minor annoyances with my room, the staff however were very helpful and moved me to another room. Breakfast was very good, free wifi. Good location next to the park land and a brief walk into town for all the main sites.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Anna K, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Marky_Potton,

thank you very much for taking time to write a review about our hotel.

I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with our rooms. I am very glad to hear that you liked our service and that you were also enjoyed our breakfast and liked the location of our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you to Crowne Plaza Helsinki soon again.