“Good Choice”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Helsinki
Ranked #18 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stayed for one night after late arrival from the airport. The Finnair airport bus goes by the hotel and the bus stops a few minutes walk away. The reception were efficient at checking me in and the free coffee in the lobby was welcome.
Room was very comfortable with a nice view over Hagasundsparken to the lake. Plenty of facilities, tea, coffee, TV, safe, iron, hairdryer, etc. and nice cosy decor. The free wi fi worked well and the bathroom was large and well equipped. The beds and linens were very comfortable and I had a good nights sleep.
The location is convenient and apart from the trams and buses that pass the door, it's a short 10 minutes walk into Centrum and the station etc.
I didn't eat breakfast and the check out in the morning was a bit slow with only one person dealing with several guests, but the hotel is a good choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,036)

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was travelling in Helsinki in August with a group and we booked 3 rooms at this hotel. The beds were extremely comfortable and the rooms were large and it is close to the city with a tram out the front. The hotel staff, especially the one guy we dealt with was very unfriendly and gave one word answers that weren't that helpful. As a first time visitor to Helsinki it would help if the staff could help with suggestions for restaurants and sites in the city. We went looking for the spa and sauna one day and spent at least 10 minutes wandering around in our dressing gowns and no one asked us if we needed help. Luckily we stumbled on the showers and found the sign to the sauna. Be prepared for nudity.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JudyMoody11
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Two stays on the Club Floor in the space of a week and I still find it very hard to class this Crowne Plaza! Both rooms were clean, had a good range of bathroom products, large TVs, comfortable beds and I slept well. All my breakfasts were in the main dining room and were excellent despite the lack of intimacy of a lounge – better I expect than they would have been in the 9th floor Club lounge, for evening drinks and snacks there bordered on the abysmal. I have had some wonderful evening snacks in Crowne Plaza hotels in Asia with full bar and a wide array of food, and this was one of the reasons for booking the more expensive Club floor room in Helsinki. But one cheap white and one cheap red wine, breads, some vegetables and cookies – and that was it! Not at all what I would describe as “complimentary drinks and snacks”. The lounge itself was quite dirty and unwelcoming, and over four nights I saw one member of staff there – once.

There was also no-one at the Priority Pass reception on arrival, but it hardly mattered as check-in was very quick. Overall, the hotel seems geared to the Conference and Exhibition trade rather than to individual tourists, and this is no doubt reflected by its location slightly out of the main centre of the city. It may also account for the rather ‘cold’ impersonal feeling it generates. I have given it 4 stars, but it only just scrapes up from 3!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Fountainhall
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Crowne Plaza Hotels always maintain a high standard and this one is no exception; what make a difference is its location! First off, the Finnair bus from the airport stops right outside on its otherwise non-stop run to the city centre so it's a very convenient place to get to. Just as important, though, is its very pleasant site overlooking a large lake surrounded by a park that is a great place for a relaxing stroll. OK, it's not right in the city centre but it is close enough for that evening stroll through the park to be at the central station in under 10 minutes and the city starts right there. So why have I knocked off a "star"? Simply because I had a problem with the reception staff not recognising my Intercontinental "Gold Ambassador" status and I had to argue about my upgrade.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed for a long weekend in August 2013. Despite arriving at midnight, the check in was smooth and easy with friendly staff on the desk. The room was modern and bright with everything that one would expect from the Crowne Plaza chain. Didn't use the restaurant or facilities as the hotel is a 15 minute walk from the city centre so we were rarely in the hotel long enough to have need of them. Room service was fast and efficient.
The bus stop for the Finnair Bus is less then 5 minutes walk (Hesperian Park) so although the hotel were happy to arrange for a standard 45Euro taxi, the 6Euro30 charge for the Finnair Bus is an excellent option. I'd book here again, definitely.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2013

First class hotel - we really enjoyed our two night stay at the Crown Plaza Hotel. The room was clean, spacious, and had every amenity we needed for a relaxing night's sleep. The hotel staff was welcoming, friendly, and very helpful. The hotel restaurant had excellent food and the breakfast buffet was bountiful with a large array of food choices. We will definitely stay at the Crown Plaza Hotel next time we're in Helsinki.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I had read some of the negative Trip Advisor reviews after we had booked the Crowne Plaza. It was with trepidation that my husband and I checked into the hotel. The check in could not have been better. We were greeted warmly and although the desk clerk mentioned that I was a Priority Club member did not offer any free drinks or gifts but he did mention that our room on the 8th floor had a city view. I asked for a city map and was given a good tourist map which we used constantly. We were given our room keys and the lifts were pointed out to us. The décor of the lobby was fresh, bright and airy.

Upon entering our room we were pleasantly surprised by the dark wood built in furniture and the light wood floors. The view towards the city was incredible. The room was large and comfortable. The bathroom had a bath with shower over, which we prefer. The bathroom was quite a good size and the vanity unit was the longest I have seen in a while, with plenty of space for both my husband's personal things and my cosmetics. The array of bath products was appreciated as were the face flannels. The towels were large enough and replaced daily.

There was a small bottle of water with a glass and two little chocolates in the bedroom which were replaced every day. We were satisfied with that. Coffee, tea and milk were replenished daily. We did not have any complaints with the housekeeping. There was a well stocked mini bar but we did not use this apart from keeping our milk cold. We slept with the window open, although it was a little noisy it got quieter later on. We found the fresh air pleasant. The Queen size bed was quite comfortable and there were plenty of pillows. The sleep aid kit was an added bonus.

The buffet breakfast was adequate. It provided both hot and cold dishes with plenty to choose from. There was a vast bread selection at a separate table. The lay out of the breakfast room meant that people were not bumping into each other constantly. The food we chose was tasty and fresh. Tea and coffee was brought to our table by the friendly waitress. The serving staff in the breakfast room were very friendly. Tables were not left uncleared although the hotel appeared to be fully booked with coach tours.

We had a drink in the bar on our first evening and the service was good. On Saturday night we booked a meal in the Macu Restaurant. We were shown to a window table, our drinks order taken and menus given to us. We quickly chose our dishes. My husband had a first course of Gazpacho soup and then chose the lamb with couscous while I chose the seafood platter. My husband had a dessert consisting of rhubarb and yoghurt. We both enjoyed our meals. The price of the meal was not excessive for Helsinki and in keeping with other restaurants we had eaten in. We would recommend a meal here.

We did not make use of the sports' facilities but did look in at the fitness centre which appeared to be quite large and well equipped.

Check out was friendly and quick with no waiting. We chose to return to the airport via the Finnair bus. The bus from the airport stops at Hesperian Puisto. Do not get off at the Opera as someone suggested. This stop is a short walk back to the hotel. On the return journey the only stops are from the Central Station and across from the hotel at the crossing at the same stop across the street. The stop is the closest one to the hotel as there are two stops there. We saw people waiting at the wrong stop. The bus will not stop automatically so best to put your hand out to flag it down. The fare was 6.30Euros each way. The bus runs every 20 minutes.

I would recommend staying at the Crowne Plaza and the walk into the city centre only takes about 10-15 minutes. The alternative is to take the tram which is very quick. We could not fault this hotel.

Room Tip: In spite of some traffic noise the city view on a high floor is great. Sunrise over the cathedral is...