“Maybe the best in Helsinki”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Kamp

Hotel Kamp
Ranked #6 of 63 Hotels in Helsinki
Helsinki
“Maybe the best in Helsinki”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Kämp is a great hotel maybe the best in Helsinki, the other top candidate would be Hotel Haven but I have not yet stayed there. The location is great (you cannot get any better than this) and the service was according to the expectations. There was a minor fault in cleaning the room but the staff resolved this very well and quickly and a bottle of red wine with roses was sent to our room. Tha spa is small (and quiet) with three saunas and a relaxation area, no pool unfortunately.

I loved the overall athmosphere and history of the hotel. I find especially the stories about famous composer Sibelius drinking with his artist friends at the hotel bar for days in a row in the early 20th century very entertaining.

Breakfast had only few choices but all very good quality. My SPG Gold card gave us an upgrade to an executive room and free drinks in the bar.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank krdn-ctlr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Strasbourg, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Well located in the hearth of Helsinki, next to the famous stores like Stockmann, Artek, Arabia, Marimekko , Mannerheimintie Street, but also rig next to the Sea shore, the Orthodox Church and the local market, without forgetting to mention the esplanade. Alvar Aalto's restaurant Savoy is across the place. As a Starwood Luxury Collection, the hotel is well furnished , from the lobby to the restaurant and the rooms. Room size are quite small but cosy, with very comfortable bed and marble bathroom. The wardrobe space was somewhat limited (15 inches wide only, the remaining room taken by ironing board and pants press, which makes it hard to hang 2 suits and 4 shirts). Perfect sound insulation from other rooms, from the outside, and from the corridor. breakfast is good but not as breathtaking as 5 years ago : no fresh squized juices, no more marinated herring in addition to smoke fish selection, and limited availability of cold cuts and fresh fruits. I expect a bit more from a 29€ buffet. Service is discret, you don't have 3 grooms volunteering to carry your small trolley bag upon arrival. Some would feel it is insufficient, I like it better this way.
Great experience altogther, and a highly recomemnded hotel in Helsinki, much better than the Hilton, Radisson and local Scandic/Torni/Rivoli for example.
Last time I was on vacation in Helsinki, this time was for business, in both case a memorable experience.

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to ask for a room with a view on the Esplanade, they are soundproof and there is...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Thierry67200
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights. I found the hotel to be great. Breakfast was wonderful (expensive but wonderful).
Room was great, bed extremely comfortable, internet (again expensive) but never had a problem with it.
Perfectly located within walking distance of everything. Staff were all amazing and answered every question and need I had.
i Highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MichaelF8
Mika_Makkonen, Manager at Hotel Kamp, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear MichaelF8,

I would like to thank you for the wonderful comments you wrote following your recent stay at the Hotel Kämp.

Please rest assured that I will share your feedback with our team. Comments like yours make our work worth all the efforts. Thank you again.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in our hotel in the near future and therefore I would like to offer my personal assistance in any requests you might have.

With Warm Regards,

Mika Makkonen
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I returned to this hotel with high expectations: I was here on business for just under a week and chose this hotel partially based on my previous stay, as well as due to the fact it is part of the Starwood group.

It is one of the best located hotels in Helsinki - perfect for meetings as well as for shopping and sight-seeing. It is a beautiful, traditional building with wonderful antique interior.

The hotel was admittedly very full, however, although there was very little delay at check-in, I did feel I wasn't taken as seriously as those who were wearing business dress, until the receptionist saw my booking...

Based on my room/suite I found the rooms/suites to be on the cramped side, although they are beautifully decorated - my bathroom was very spacious. I was very disappointed by both the room-service menu as well as the pricing - a €12/$15 surcharge before we even get started! Luckily there are tons of great restaurants nearby.

Finnland is the birthplace of the sauna and the spa and sauna do not disappoint. However the gym is very basic - it has good quality equipment but is small and very limited indeed.

I personally was not all that impressed by the breakfast. I again felt I was disadvantaged due to not wearing a suit, couple that with a slightly disappointing spread, cramped surroundings and sometimes very slow service.

I was told that the slight lack of friendliness is partially just the Finnish "way" - so maybe I'm being overcritical, but since most of the clientele are international I'm sure I'm not alone in my reaction.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SPG_JJ
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Our experience of the Kamp was one of two halves. The rooms in the modern part at the back above the mall are all cookie cutter identical but are a good size and with fully equipped bathrooms with large baths and showers. We can confirm this as we were moved twice after finding the double bed not comfortable enough for my wife who is a light sleeper and asking to be moved to a twin. They did this without question although the first room they moved us to was still a double we ended up in a room at the end of a long corridor.

For a hotel with such a history I found the reception a little impersonal and modern, although the rooms in the older part at the front seemed to have more character. We had good breakfasts in our bedroom and ate very well one evening in the Brasserie. It would not be our choice for another weekend in Helsinki but is a very good business hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is a one of my favourites. Rooms are very spacious and beautifull. Staff is very friendly, and they are there to help you when ever you need it. i just love this hotel. Great location. Prices are a bit high, but it's worth it. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KrishanP252
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Kamp hotel is one of a kind in Helsinki. They manage to convince guests that there is a luxury market for discerning travellers who want both both an international and a Finnish experience. The spa and it's saunas are most definitely Finnish. Couple that with the amount of fish, especially the huge side of salmon on the breakfast buffet, and one feels the Nordic influence. Could possibly do with a bit of updating in the older rooms but overall standard is quite good. Front desk very helpful and recommended fabulous restaurants. Beware service charges for hiring a guide. Overall extremely accommodating.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business