“Great location in a prime landmark”
Review of Hotel Kamp

Hotel Kamp
Ranked #5 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Recently stayed at the Kamp hotel early Sept for 3 nights. It is strategically located on the scenic Esplanaadi minutes away from market sq and the harbour. It is right in the Kamp gallery shopping arcade and next to the main shopping area in Helsinki. The Main railway station /bus terminal is within 5-10 min walk, a pleasant walk away. If you're arriving by air, both the Finnair bus (EUR6.20) or Bus # 615 (EUR4) will end at the station. They both take about 35 min. You couldn't ask for a better location for all the convenience. As a SPG gold, I got upgraded to the upper floor (8th) facing the inner courtyard. So, not much of a view. Nevertheless, the room was very well laid out and the decor was elegant for a SPG luxury collection. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom came with a shower and a separate bathtub. The spa and gym was just down the hallway from the room on the 8th floor. The opening hours is too limiting for one to be able to utilize the sauna after 10 pm. I do agree with the other reviews, the check-in process was just average and nothing to consider memorable or welcoming. But again, I don't speak finnish so other comments about them not speaking finnish doesn't concern me. I didn't have breakfast there so I can't comment on that. The entrance is on the side street off Esplanadi and not on the maid road. The largest dept store in Scandinavia, Stockmann is a mere 2-3 blocks away. Stockmann basement is a great place to stock up on food and snacks. Other breakfast option can be found along Esplanadi and across the entrance at the popular Karl Fazer Cafe. You will also find other delicious desserts and chocolates. I would consider staying here again, just for the location and the decent hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,507)

Reviewed September 20, 2012

A great hotel in the best location possible in central Helsinki.

I am a Finnish person who has been living in London for over 20 years. I visit my hometown of Helsinki regularly and have stayed in a whole of host of 4 and 5 star hotels in the city centre. In my opinion Hotel Kamp is the best by a very long shot.

The hotel is in a scenic building right off the Esplanaadi which in the heart of the town. You are only a few minutes’ walk from Scandinavia’s biggest & best department store Stockmann & the beautiful harbour with its market place selling foods, trinkets and all manner of tourist crap. You have hundreds of shops, bars & restaurants all around you.

Service is very un-Finnish (i.e non sullen) and professional. When we arrived our son’s rollaway bed wasn’t in the room as requested. When I asked for it, it arrived within minutes. The rooms are very nice & clean if a bit oldy wordy for my liking (but hey, I had known this before I booked). The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in at a hotel. The bathroom was also spotless and well equipped. Our room faced onto an inner courtyard area so there wasn’t much to see, but that didn’t bother as at all as it meant that the room was dead quiet.

The bar area was nice and cosy. My one & only complaint about the hotel was that the waiting staff there could have been friendlier. They seemed to think that service without a smile was acceptable. I hope this improves.

The breakfast buffet was great with a massive variety of Finnish and International foods on offer. Sadly, there didn’t seem to have enough tables to go around and so we had to wait a while to get a table. This may well be because we were there the morning after the Helsinki marathon. On a slight minus note the waiting staff seemed quite stressed here too, which is not something the clients of a 5 star hotel want to see.

All in all, a great hotel with a few tiny nips and tucks needed to make this a truly brilliant one

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The rooms in the hotel are all fine. The two main problems:

1. When we arrived in the evening, reception was staffed by an evidently Russian night manager who insisted - in very broken Finnish - that he speaks perfect Finnish. In fact he was impossible to understand, and a very abrasive person as well. His one contribution is to give a good reason to not visit again.

2. The parking is awful and if you arrive by car, you can't even drive into the street where reception is. There are no signs to the hotel, no signs explaining that you should phone reception from the car to lower the obstacles preventing access, and no automatic lowering of obstacles when the valet gives you your keys when you are leaving. WTF? Do they think that you are going to take the keys and sit in the car all day? My conclusion is that the staff in the hotel are concerned just with the hotel and not about any other aspect of a visit.

I complained about the lack of Finnish-speaking staff at reception. I didn't get a response from the hotel. Instead I got a satisfaction survey, in many languages, but not in Finnish.

To the manager: whoever you are, please get a grip, before it is too late. It is very sad to see this famous hotel become a nameless institution.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Symbolics
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Helsinki for 4 days. The city is beautiful, and Hotel Kamp is truly a great place to stay! The gentleman who checked us in was very friendly and he upgraded us to a Suite!! We were so shocked and it really got our trip off to a great start. The staff was great and the hotel has FREE bikes for you to rent and ride around the city.

It's very easy to get to Hotel Kamp from the airport. There is a bus that picks you up from the airport and drops you off at central station. Hotel Kamp is an easy walk from the station.

It's in a great location - very close to Stockmann (my favorite Finnish department store) and across the street from Karl Fazer, which is a great place to get breakfast.

We really enjoyed this hotel and would definitely recommend staying here. You won't be disappointed. AND... the hotel is beautiful. They even mention it on the City Sightseeing tour as one of the best hotels in Helsinki.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LeshTravels
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Hotel Kamp was a great place to stay on a 24 hour layover in Helsinki. It is centrally located and the staff was nice and helpful when I asked about seeing the most I could of the city in 12 hours. The room was nothing out of the ordinary, but it was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The marble bathroom was quite large. The hotel lobby and hallways are decorated to present an old world charm. Our 9th floor room didn't offer any kind of view. This is a pricier option, but was worth it for the location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2012

this review is not about the rooms or our stay at the hotel.
we booked a room for 09.09-12.09.2012. in our reservation we specified that we have a dog, we were even in touch with the hotel about an earlier check in and they did provide that for us, and in those emails was the pet request. but when showing up at the hotel we were told the hotel does not allow pets, obviously we were a bit surprised that they had not informed us earlier about it, it is not nice to arrive at the hotel after a red eye flight from new york, to get this information. the front of desk found us a room in an other hotel that belongs to their group, but it is not the hotel we wanted to stay at, but this seemed to be enough for them as to feel like they did their job.
after going and checking out the other hotel we returned to Kämp to talk to the manager, because i wanted to complain and give some constructive critique, about their booking system not working very well, especially for a hotel that rates as a 5 star one. we were told the manager had already left, which is quite weird, because only 5min earlier the manager had told the front of desk that pets are not allowed. but perhaps this was just good timing from the managers side.
we did call the manager to explain our concerns, and instead of just apologizing, we were told that it clearly says on the website that no pets are allowed, i have just looked thru it a bunch of times and i still can not find it, even when searching for pets nothing came up. i do not think that is very clear, even so we did specify that we have a dog in our reservation, and it should have declined on the basis of that before we were checking in. the explanation for not seeing this in the booking, which was done thru their own system, was that they only see the special requests at the checking moment. this is then by far the worst booking system in the world, and not one that a 5 star hotel should use.
we are still hoping that they will somehow compensate our stay at the other hotel, but so far no one has informed us about it. as far as we are concerned that should have been the first thing they should have mentioned when this happened, that is how 5 star service should be.
on the basis of this experience i will never recommend this hotel to anyone, which i think is quite sad, because this hotel is a part of the history of helsinki and the forming of Finland as a country, especially also for me, because my great grandfather used to come here for political meetings in the 1920's when the country was being formed, and i thought it would be nice to stay there for that reason.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank orwellthemaltese
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The Kämp is, I suppose, the grande dame of Helsinki hotels and lives up to it in luxurious, comfortable, if small, rooms. Grand marble bathrooms too. There's really nothing to complain about and the hotel is wonderfully well-situated, even a branch of Marimekko on the same block for some stylish souvenir shopping. Just steps to the Stockmann department store too. The hotel is understandably not cheap, but €30 for breakfast, €19 a day for internet and €13.50 to launder a shirt? Suggestion: Walk along the street to the Academic Bookshop and its wonderful Aalto café, take the Poet's or Musician's breakfast for about €10, use the free internet, then buy a new shirt at Stockmann. You'd have change.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends